Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Castle Island Private or Public?

Options
  • 27-09-2010 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭

As above are the grounds around the castle open to the public or will i be turned away at the ferry? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Well what reason would they have to turn ya away? I mean for all they know you're going over to have a nice meal..or play golf.

I don't understand the question to be honest. What do you intend to do on the island?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Private islands online?Hell of an exact website :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

You wont be refused access. The ferry seems to run 24/7 and you drive on, get brought to the other side, and drive off. No questions asked. Its a small enough site to drive around though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

Was intending to go over there last summer for Sunday lunch with the in-laws and was asked at the ferry where I was going. Was told there was no Sunday lunches anymore and to turn back. Told the fella that in that case, would he mind allowing me to show my visitors the island. Finally got permission

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Woodgate

I'm a member of the golf club there and there is no problem for anyone to go over and visit the island. The ferrymen do take no of reg numbers going on and off the island just for security purposes. As for sunday lunch mentioned above, there is always food on offer in the clubhouse from the normal menu, there isn't a carvery on sunday's but you'd still get food ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Well what reason would they have to turn ya away? I mean for all they know you're going over to have a nice meal..or play golf.

I don't understand the question to be honest. What do you intend to do on the island?

Simple enough question tbh, is it open to the public or is only open to residential and club members only?

i just wanted to go over and have a gander at the grounds the castle and the deer etc.

Woodgate wrote: »
    I'm a member of the golf club there and there is no problem for anyone to go over and visit the island. The ferrymen do take no of reg numbers going on and off the island just for security purposes. As for sunday lunch mentioned above, there is always food on offer in the clubhouse from the normal menu, there isn't a carvery on sunday's but you'd still get food ok.

Thanks all will take a trip down this week so, are the grounds nice, the island looks fairly big from the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Old Perry wrote: »
    Simple enough question tbh, is it open to the public or is only open to residential and club members only?

i just wanted to go over and have a gander at the grounds the castle and the deer etc.

Yeah you can go there for a walk etc. no bother, I mean they the ferrymen don't know, do they?

P.S.: There's deer there ?

subz3r0 wrote: »
    Yeah you can go there for a walk etc. no bother, I mean they the ferrymen don't know, do they?

Yup, was actually wondering are there? (the site may need to be updated or they may still be there)- http://www.waterfordcastle.com/activities/, Activities:Walking, Nature Trails.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

There's feckin loads of em

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

subz3r0 wrote: »

The lady in the first review HERE had them at the breakfast table :)

Heres the little fellas
    local-wildlife.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I've walked onto the ferry a few times with no problems at all,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

Fussy Ferryman, just cos I had one of these on...

Thanks everyone, took a quick loook round, nice area will definitly go back when ive more time, posted a few deer pics in the photography forum for anyone interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but its the only one i found relative to my question:)

Anyway ive never been over there so was just wondering can you walk dogs around the island?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but its the only one i found relative to my question:)

Anyway ive never been over there so was just wondering can you walk dogs around the island?

Ive gone over there the last few weekends with my dogs. When you get off the ferry walk to your left and a few hundred meters down there's an entrance to a walkway. You can follow the trail out to the lighthouse. After the lighthouse you're more or less on the golf course so you'll need to keep the dogs on the lead from there. Personally I wasn't keen on the walk where I was on the golf course as you would be interrupting the golfers. Best bet is to go as far as the lighthouse and back again. It's still a 3 or 4 km walk in total.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

cococoady wrote: »
    Ive gone over there the last few weekends with my dogs. When you get off the ferry walk to your left and a few hundred meters down there's an entrance to a walkway. You can follow the trail out to the lighthouse. After the lighthouse you're more or less on the golf course so you'll need to keep the dogs on the lead from there. Personally I wasn't keen on the walk where I was on the golf course as you would be interrupting the golfers. Best bet is to go as far as the lighthouse and back again. It's still a 3 or 4 km walk in total.

Great thanks,did you walk onto the ferry?,i would be driving so i guess can park somewhere and then find the driveway

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

Great thanks,did you walk onto the ferry?,i would be driving so i guess can park somewhere and then find the driveway

I drove onto the ferry and parked on the other side, just beside where you get off. There's an old bungalow being done up where you can park beside. You could also park on the town side and walk into the ferry if you wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Venison is dear isn't it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement