Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SNP statistics

Options
  • 27-09-2010 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone here has done any SNP genotyping? If so what kind of analysis did you use?
    I have done some genotyping and now have to analyse the results, I'm pretty sure I should use a fishers exact test to compare my controls and disease groups but I'm not exactly sure how.
    I am using graphpad to do the calculations, I thought I knew what I was doing but when I run numbers from papers that have done similar work I get a different answer for the p value than the one they have published, so I must be putting wrong values in somewhere!
    If anyone has a worked example of a SNP calculation that would be great.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

invaderjim wrote: »
    I am using graphpad to do the calculations, I thought I knew what I was doing but when I run numbers from papers that have done similar work I get a different answer for the p value than the one they have published, so I must be putting wrong values in somewhere!

Not necessarily as the P value can change as more experiments are carried out. Can I ask what your p-value is and what the p-value in the papers you are looking at is?

Just to be clear, you will get a p-value equal to something whereas a paper will normally just tell you theat the aveerage was greater or less than a certain value, in most cases statistical significance is typically p<0.05 but if you can get it lower that that, it means it is even more likely not a fluke.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭invaderjim

Hey CramCycle, cheers for replying to the post. It turned out that I had messed up the calculation. There looking better now, even managed to get some significant results (P<0.002).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

invaderjim wrote: »
    There looking better now, even managed to get some significant results (P<0.002).

Thats brilliant, sorry I didn't know to much about SNP stats themselves, just stats in general, if you ever get a chance, at sometime in the future, posting up a general work through for a sample calculation would be great.

Advertisement