Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with buying my girl a piano..?

• 27-09-2010 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Thanks for any help I can get with this as I am kinda totally out of my depth and am music ignorant.

My girlfriend is a brilliant piano player and has done all the levels (scales?) or whatever the process is called but she no longer has access to a piano as we have moved in together into an apartment and it wouldn’t make sense to go dragging a giant piano from her parents house in the country to our apartment (we plan to buy a house together in maybe another 2/3 years or so when house prices hit bottom anyway)

She obviously really misses playing and is worried that she is losing a lot of her ability by not practicing so I want to get her a special present for her next birthday (well it will be more like a joint bday/anniversary/xmas pressie but I digress)

I want to get one of those digital piano thingys that look like a tall wooden piano – I think I want one that is as near to a full sized keyboard as possible so that she can keep playing and practicing as if it were a proper piano and getting better but the overall piano would need to be small/light enough to be able to be moved into an apartment without a team of men. I would like to get a good quality one and will pay if I have to but it would be brilliant to keep the cost under €1,000.

Last thing (and maybe im way off here but) is it possible to get one that would have headphone capabilities so she could play it with headphones on in case the neighbours start complaining ..?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers
    J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭balducci

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭ampjohnny

Thats pretty much what i was thinking of, looks the part but can be played with headphones too.

Thanks a mill, never even hear of that website before.

I take it the website is well regarded and that Yamahas are a good brand?

Looking at the piano and the cost involved im thinking ill have to forgo the surprise aspect of the present and check with her to make sure shes happy with the piano before i buy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Yeah, seems like the kind of present that you don't necessarily want to spring on someone, just in case. It also seems like an amazing present, fair play to you :)

Thomann is very well-regarded, though it might be worth your while having a look around X-Music or Waltons or something. You'd be able to keep the purchase Irish and you could even have your girlfriend play the piano in the shop to make sure? I'd imagine getting something that size shipped to you from Germany would be a pain in the hole...

Yamaha make great pianos. Apparently what they do, with their acoustic pianos, is copy the build that Steinway use in their pianos, and do a very good job of replicating the quality. I'd imagine their digital pianos have the same attention to detail.

Thank you for your reply – yeah I hope it’s a great present but she’s a great girl sooo she deserves it…

She’s gifted when it comes to playing so at least I know I’m getting her something she will use and really enjoy which is better than wasting money buying her something she will get no use out of.

Thanks for the tips – I’m based in Cork so I don’t know the shops you mentioned so I guess ill take a look in places like Pro Musica before I go making a decision.

Cheers
    J

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭nicknackgtb

Shop Local first before you buy though, better to keep our economy going and Im sure you'll be able to get something your after here instead.

• Advertisement

Yeah I’d agree with you in principal and would buy Irish where possible.

Having said that the rampant profiteering that went on across a lot of the Irish economy over the last 10 years has taken its toll on my loyalty.

If its 10 cent in the difference between a punnet of Irish or Spanish mushrooms in Dunnes Stores I’ll buy Irish, if I find 200 euro difference in the cost of the same Digital Piano by buying in Germany you can be sure I wont be buying local.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

there's a yamaha shop on bachelors walk in dublin, might be worth ringing them to see if they could match thomanns price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭quicklickpaddy

I think they've moved to Liffey St.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭dmg10

As you're based in Cork, Jeffers in Bandon sell digital pianos. They seem to sound good and can be used with headphones. I think, (think!) they might have been priced around the 1000-1200 as it was definitely a cheaper option than going with the upright that I did get. Factor in approx 100eur for delivery depending where you live. Not sure if digitals have the same issues with tuning on movement and therefore require delivery, I'm guessing not...????? Really nice people to deal with too. Take her with you and get them to show you upstairs...loads and loads of pianos just waiting for someone to select them...

Advertisement