Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What it means to be Irish

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Brilliant post OP, just want to add to the list of running home from school to watch....Grange Hill, Ulysses 31, Neighbours. Then there was the Summer Project, going to the baths. Good times!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

What about sweets?

Wham bars, curly wurly, hubba bubba, golf balls, macroon bars, opal fruits, marathon bars, star bars, cherry coke

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Man, anyone remember when you could get TK red lemonade in cans. It was lovely.. no ****ty sweateners in it back then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭yeahme

coming home from school to hear this:

knock knock open wide see whats on the other side,
    konck knock "anymore?" come with me thru the magic door,

Brownie points who can name the show

and at the end of the show was:

tidy up goodbye goodbye, put everything back in its place, see you soon, AH CANT REMEMBER THE REST, was that even from the tv show?

also Saturdays was scrap saturday or roland rat on bbc,
    good memories,
    THX OP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I love the first comment on this youtube video "bosco touched me in special places" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

like Des Bishop said, jumpers for goal posts and last goal wins.

"Relax, sure we're only havin' a laugh"

A Sunday drive. My mam would get me and my sis, my granny and grand-aunt and take us somewhere different each week. (It was always Sally Gap/Glendalough).

Goin' on the hop in Lord Edwards fields (Which is all housing estate now)

Keepsies and swapsies

Kerbsies, where every estate scored the game differently or had entirely different rules

The slow dance :P

Taking out your lunch at big break :D only to find it had squashed in your bag! Worst was when a banana burst in your bag.

Jam sandwiches for lunch. Yuck!

Going to the cinema with my sister pretty much every Saturday for 50p.

Batman cards. LOVED them.

Pocket money, and thinking I was absolutely minted when I made my communion and got 40 quid! (Which I spent on $hite toys like those aeroplanes made of foam with the plastic propellor and sweets (penny sweets and 10p bags)

Last one, in my house we never called dessert, dessert, we called it "something nice" which probably showed the quality of my dads cooking!

Good times, thanks OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭mr_happy

Papa Smut wrote: »
    A Sunday drive. My mam would get me and my sis, my granny and grand-aunt and take us somewhere different each week. (It was always Sally Gap/Glendalough).

The slow dance :P

The slow dance - or the erection section as the DJ used to call it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭mr_happy

I used to be proud to be Irish but Im not any more.

Out Irish land lord rode us year after year for 10 - 20% rent rises from 99-2007. Pure greed.

Our economy is in ruins while the politicians / fat cats / bankers that ruined the economy can relax with the worlds biggest wages / pensions

Being Irish is having the piss taken from you or in the case of politicians / fat cats / bankers - taking the piss.

Or if you are a recently born Irish baby, being Irish is owing 9000 euors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

moonage wrote: »
    Being Irish (or any nationality) is an accident of birth and is nothing to be proud of.

Oh give over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭tweedledee

Wearing my beloved Crown Paints,Liverpool jersey EVERYDAY for three months summer holidays,no deo back then,God we all must have stank,trying to sort out the wires on my Sinclair Spectrum then waiting TWO fecking hours for one game to load up,good times, now I live overseas,in a land far far away and all my work mates think Irish = drunk pissheads and recession,what a downer :(

Advertisement