Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large Tesco in Dublin City/Centre?

Options
  • 27-09-2010 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

Does anybody know of any large Tesco stores in Dublin City, preferably in the city centre but if not within bus / cycle distance of the city centre?

The one in the Jervis Shopping Centre is too small. The one in Dundrum Town Centre is a bit out of the way. I'm really looking for an Extra store or a just a large store.....Surely there's one somewhere? If not Tesco what other supermarkets?

Doesn't help that the Tesco store finder for Ireland has been offline for the last few months.

Thanks a mill!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

There's one just up from Illac on Parnell street which is an extra store i think and there's a big one at the bottom of the Jervis centre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Dunnes in Stephen's Green?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

The Dunnes in the basement of the Henry St store is nice and roomy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

There's a decent sized one in Phibsboro, which is about 25 minutes walk from O'Connell street. Other wise the 4, 140, 19, 19A, 83 buses drop you outside, and the 10, 46a, 121, 120 drop you very close.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

Yea bar Jervis Centre and Parnell St the nearest biggish ones I can think of are Phibsboro, Prussia St and Rathmines.

I actually emailed their customer service department a while back about the store locator problem, suggesting they just put the addresses and opening hours up in text on the site as its very inconvenient to not be able to find what time the stores close at. After a bit of to-ing and fro-ing they eventually emailed me back with a spreadsheet of all their shops in the country with their addresses and opening hours.

So I checked the opening hours for my local one and landed down to it at 7pm one evening only to find it closed....:rolleyes: Clowns don't even seem to know when their own shops close.

Moral of the story, shop in Dunnes/Lidl/Aldi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭O'Doodle

Hi. Thanks for the replies

Where abouts on Parnell Street is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

Opposite the junction with Moore St. I don't think its any bigger than the Jervis one tbh (possibly smaller really).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

as you leave the ilac centre onto parnell street, cross the road and head right. it's very close

I think it's a bit of a disgrace there's no information on the Tesco website.

I've been looking for ages for Tesco stores in Dublin with no luck. I've been taking my business elsewhere but Tesco is pretty hand.

I know where yes are now. I don't fancy leaving a bike around there.

Dunnes is it. Whats the St Stephens Green one like for food?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

The Jervis Tesco is probably the biggest supermarket in town (bar maybe Dunnes downstairs in Stephens Green?). The nearest/handiest Extra is probably Finglas, the stop and associated routes is shown on this Dublin Bus map (click on the Your Stop pin for routes)...

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Stop-on-Map/?returnurl=/en/&stopnumber=1531&toBoxOrNot=true

This is a typical Extra, has other shops in a small strip mall configuration. The Extra itself has clothes, electronics, pharmacy and a cafe.

Yeh I'm really looking for an Extra like.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Tesco Merrion is a good one too

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There's another one on Talbot Street, across from the Irish Life Mall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Tesco Finglas is probably the biggest they have and more reliable on stock levels. Merrion is nearly as big but is not reliable on stock and checkout numbers are smaller when compared to Finglas. Thats the reason i shop in Finglas rather than Merrion which is nearest to me.

Sandymount is the same size as that Express store on Parnell street.

Clarehall would be similar to Finglas as well. As well as Dunnes in Henry st and Stephens Gn, there is a M&S one on Henry street too.

You really need a car to go to any big supermarket in Dublin as the big ones are in the burbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

there's a big one in Dundrum SC. I don't know if it's big enough for you but it has the advantage of the Luas.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

gurramok wrote: »
    Tesco Finglas is probably the biggest they have and more reliable on stock levels.

Would the one in Finglas be as bigger than the Clare Hall one..?I have never been in the Finglas one but the Clare Hall is huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Dub13 wrote: »
    Would the one in Finglas be as bigger than the Clare Hall one..?I have never been in the Finglas one but the Clare Hall is huge.

They are similar size, though I prefer the Finglas layout (though possibly just from familiarity :) )

edit - just to clarify for people mentioning Parnell St, Phibsboro etc, Finglas and Coolock would be multiple sizes bigger than those stores. You could probably get 4 or 5 Parnell St's into Finglas for example...

Dub13 wrote: »

If not bigger. :)

Dunnes supermarkets in Charlestown and Blanch are quite big stores too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

Clare Hall would defo be your best option buses 128, 27, 42, 43 all serve out that way!!!
    :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Oliver1985 wrote: »
    Clare Hall would defo be your best option buses 128, 27, 42, 43 all serve out that way!!!
    :eek:

Finglas is shorter distance by bus and is served by the 140/40/40a and 40D (although 40D leaves you in the back entrance).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

Finglas is shorter distance by bus and is served by the 140/40/40a and 40D (although 40D leaves you in the back entrance).

No offense to anyone but ive been in both and i would rather go to Clare Hall area then the Finglas area :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Oliver1985 wrote: »
    No offense to anyone but ive been in both and i would rather go to Clare Hall area then the Finglas area :eek:

Why's that? Because Clare Hall is just across the road from Darndale which is just about the same type of area as Finglas! The Tesco in Finglas is on the Finglas Road, which is not near any of the estates in Finglas. Out on it's own beside the Ardmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

There's a decent sized one on Baggott street. It's about a 5mins walk from Stephens Green, so I'd say your bike would be grand outside it.

Roddy23 wrote: »
    There's a decent sized one on Baggott street. It's about a 5mins walk from Stephens Green, so I'd say your bike would be grand outside it.

Not car friendly though :) Suppose it depends on how much shopping the OP wants to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭McNulty32

Biggest you'll get is Tesco on Prussia Street up from Stoneybatter, 39 or 10 bus leave ya outside it

Advertisement