Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bru na Boinne Co.Meath

• 27-09-2010 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I’ve been living in Ireland for nearly three years now, I have visited many places, and until I read a travel guide published by Lonely Planet, I didn’t knew that there could be something so sudden spectacular in Ireland like Brú na Bόinne, English Boyne's Palace. Some of the oldest traces of human settlements in the area. One of the most important archaeological landscapes, dominated by some prehistoric Passage Tombs of Newgrange, Knowt and Dowth.
    A thousand years older than Stonehenge, the extensive Neolithic necropolis known as Brú na Bόinne is one of the most extraordinary prehistoric sites in Europe. Its tombs date from about 3200 BC, predating the great pyramids of Egypt by six centuries.
    I started my trip in Dublin, entered the GPS coordinates which I found online, of course, and after a little more than 50km, we reached a small road, narrow, surrounded by a gothic forest, a wonderful landscape. But I had an alarm system saying they we are not on the right track. But I continued until I reached the entrance. A small park with a big announcement: Do not leave valuables in your car because thieves are operating here. I didn’t really matter, because what I had most valuable to me: my Nikon.
    We entered a small lane surrounded by a hedge that does not let you see what is beyond it, and we were right at the tombs. But before we can go through another step, we came nose to nose with a lady, who explained that we are not allowed there. So she gave us a map explaining us how to reach the Visitor Centre, because it wasn’t free, and there was we supposed to start the tour.
    After another few miles, we arrived, but because was already 4 pm, we heard bad news that there are no places on tour, but we can still visit the exhibition. 3 euro per person. Cheap.
    I found someone who gave us some explanations about the Brú na Bόinne and Visitor Centre.
    Located south of the river Boyne, the exhibition was opened in 1997. It contains evidence that describe the society that created Neolithic tombs, houses, food, tools and weapons. Basically, the show revolves around the subject as monuments were created, why they were created, how they were used, where they brought the stones with which they built, and how they were brought up to the tombs.
    The exhibition also contains a replica of the chamber of Newgrange, and also a replica of a small human settlement in Knowth.
    Something very interesting was an audio-visual room, which explains the solar alignment of the Boyne Valley. I won’t give you too many details because you need to go and see with your own eyes.
    A recommendation: try to arrive early, as seats are limited. Brú na Bόinne is open every day from 9 to 18, depending on the month.
    Many thanks to Lonely Planet “Western Europe” and the guide from Brú na Bόinne.
    http://ioanhiliuta.blogspot.com/2010/09/bru-na-binne.html

Advertisement