Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are There Any Happy UTV Internet Customers Here At All?

• 27-09-2010 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭

Are There ANY Happy UTV Broadband Customers Here At All?

www.u.tv

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,484 ✭✭✭Nollog

I was.
    Only reasons I'm not now is Eircom Line Rental and Cable being faster.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I;ve been with UTV since about June 2008, can't fault it personally.
    I've only called them twice

1. To get my username/password when the service went live
    2. Called them last March to upgrade to upto 7MB package...I get around 6MB due to line quality.

If I could get UPC I would but I'm limited to Eircom and its resellers sadly and UTV is one of the most reasonable and suitable due to the "Unlimited*" option.

*Not unlimited but I've never been charged/disconnected/given out to, they do sometimes throttle from what I've experienced though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

We're with UTV too...never had any problems with them. The free weekend/evening UK calls feature is handy too (no additional charge to the line rental for it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Can't say I have been overly impressed with the level of service. While they are probably good with the generic support requests, forgotten password etc as soon as the issue is a little bit more involved they are unable to help.

Since they are little more than resellers they depend heavily on Eircom to fix problems with line/exchange/congestion. This can be frustrating because Eircom will only investigate something at a superficial level. i.e. line stats are fine, no issue. They don't go further than that so you end up bouncing backwards and forwards and getting nowhere fast.

If everything works well you shouldn't have any problems but the moment something goes wrong... Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Xcellor wrote: »

Since they are little more than resellers they depend heavily on Eircom to fix problems with line/exchange/congestion. This can be frustrating because Eircom will only investigate something at a superficial level. i.e. line stats are fine, no issue. They don't go further than that so you end up bouncing backwards and forwards and getting nowhere fast.

This is true of all eircom resellers which includes Smart and Vodafone etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

Been with them since 2004/5 I think. Main reason has always been the Unlimited download option which is brilliant. Never really experienced throttling as such, although speed did drop significantly about two years back. This turned out to be an Eircom problem and effected all resellers.

The only real problem I've had since I joined was where I used the moving address option. Worst mistake ever, was at my new address for about 2 months before they got it together to switch me on. Didn't even have the option at that stage to go with anyone else as they'd taken the line. I was under the impression it would be a simple swap, nothing simple about it apparently.

Last thing, one big issue I did have with them was whenever there was an increase in line speeds existing customers were not notified or automatically upgraded but were paying the same price for the older lower speed package as new customers who received the higher speed package. Had to call each time they upgraded and sign into a new contract to avail of the speed increase. Just thought it was a shoddy way to treat existing customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭JohnOwonga

Can't say I have been overly impressed with the level of service. While they are probably good with the generic support requests, forgotten password etc as soon as the issue is a little bit more involved they are unable to help.

If everything works well you shouldn't have any problems but the moment something goes wrong... Good luck.
    >>>>>>
    I cancelled UTV Broadband next Generation they required 1 months notice
    UTV blamed my telephone line as causing the problem Eircom said that my telephone line was fine and it was UTV's fault

UTV fixed the BB the last 4 days of the 30 day cancelation period so I decided to go back to UTV Internet now my Connection is acting up again :( slow speeds 3MB should be 7MB and constant disconnections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

JohnOwonga wrote: »
    >>>>>>
    I cancelled UTV Broadband next Generation they required 1 months notice
    UTV blamed my telephone line as causing the problem Eircom said that my telephone line was fine and it was UTV's fault

UTV fixed the BB the last 4 days of the 30 day cancelation period so I decided to go back to UTV Internet now my Connection is acting up again :( slow speeds 3MB should be 7MB and constant disconnections.

I am looking forward to getting next generation broadband simply so they have to invent another excuse apart from congestion/contention when their service sucks. Plus with the claims they make about NGB if the speeds aren't up to scratch it will be easier to argue a case against them.

X

I am looking forward to getting next generation broadband simply so they have to invent another excuse apart from congestion/contention when their service sucks. Plus with the claims they make about NGB if the speeds aren't up to scratch it will be easier to argue a case against them.

X

>>>>
    I went straight to the top Utvinternet CEO he never replied to a registered letter I wish I had never upgraded to UTV's Next Generation BB my Internet was 7MB's plus and I had very little problems with it compared to now :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

JohnOwonga wrote: »
    >>>>>>

are you using the modem they provided or do you have your own router? Reason I ask is I used to get constant disconnects, would set up a download and head out to work only to discover when I'd get home it had disconnected 5 minutes after I left :(

Minute I got a decent router of my own problem was solved. In saying that the modem I originally got from them was back in 2004 or 5 and was a piece of crap usb thing. They probably provide something a bit better these days but if you're getting disconnects all the time might be worth checking out.

Never have too much of a problem with speed either. I'm on the 7mb package, never get quite that high but then wouldn't expect to cos of contention. Download times are good though. For instance would download say a 700MB emm media file if popular in less than an hour normally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I am with utv as well and I never had a problem with them I find them good to deal with

I am with utv as well and I never had a problem with them I find them good to deal with
    >>>>>>>>>
    Have you upgraded to UTV Next Generation BB? yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I had UTV broadband for nearly 6 yrs, and in that time I'd say I remember only 2-3 outages of any significance. Very good reliability overall.

I moved away from them because the 12GB limit is a bit restrictive when you need to download ISO images for work at 2-3GB a pop, and they hammered me if I went over the limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

I'm with UTV about 2 years now and generally find the service acceptable for my needs - 7mb/512k. It does stop working now and again but turning the router off and back on usually sorts it.

I would love to switch to UPC with VOIP but am stuck with ADSL as I need the phone line for my sky multiroom and callback doesn't work properly with upc voip right now :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

DamoKen wrote: »
    Last thing, one big issue I did have with them was whenever there was an increase in line speeds existing customers were not notified or automatically upgraded but were paying the same price for the older lower speed package as new customers who received the higher speed package. Had to call each time they upgraded and sign into a new contract to avail of the speed increase. Just thought it was a shoddy way to treat existing customers.
    Ahh, i took the more expensive but much more satisfying option, i enabled the phoneline in the house i was moving to( paying 2 line rentals for about 10 days ) and just asked utv to enable broadband on the same account once the line was enabled. All in all took about a week to sort and broadband was enabled the morning i moved house. I couldnt give a toss paying an extra 25euro for the extra line rental if it ment i wasnt hanging around for everything to get setup.

I think utv are quite decent, the techs there are quite helpful, theyre useless if the problem moves to eircon, but im guessing most resellers are the exact same as at the end of the day its how willing eircon are to even attempt to fix the problem( my last place eircon were unwilling to do anything and basicaly told utv to f*** off and to stop registering faults on my line which had 3Mb download and 48kilobit upload lmao

I also like utv's no fuss unlimited

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

can't say bad word : low ping, high download speed (over 700kb/s) ... using for online games (BFBC2, BF2, Americas Army) and I'm happy enough ...forgot to add, I'm on ulimited option -> great stuff :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 385 ✭✭EoghanConway

I don't see the unlimited option on UTV's website any more. Is it being phased out in favour of NGB-based packages?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

I don't see the unlimited option on UTV's website any more. Is it being phased out in favour of NGB-based packages?

When you click through to buy the package, there's an option "7 MB, Unlimited Usage" - essentially they charge you an extra €5.99 a month, but remove the download cap (though it's one of those lying unlimited where a 'fair usage policy' is present)...we've used it pretty heavily and have never been contacted/throttled).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 smedly

I am having huge issues with utv right now, was fine for 2 years - now at certain times it just drops in speed and ping, totally unusable, they tell me they don't throttle but someone is, either utv are telling lies or Eircom is doing it, I watch streaming tv and as soon as I start it at night it suddenly drops - not gradual, so from 6meg to 0.36mbps and ping goes from 40ms right up to 200-300, so no inbetween, someone is taking the piss.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1555172893.png
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/1555190635.png
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/1555202727.png
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/1555208845.png

these all have a router reboot inbetween

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

smedly wrote: »
    I watch streaming tv and as soon as I start it at night it suddenly drops - not gradual, so from 6meg to 0.36mbps and ping goes from 40ms right up to 200-300, so no inbetween, someone is taking the piss.
    The very same experience with them - and it all seems to have gone south a few weeks back.

Throttling is one thing - but i can't download or stream any bloody thing!

• Advertisement

I am sort of siding with utv on this as I actually think eircom are doing something, I almost got connected with utv support while this was happening this evening but got timed out on the call waiting, they stay open until 9pm, I think it would be useful to report this while the problem is there as they can also ping my router from their server. The speed tonight was out from 8:10pm until roughly 9:45pm then it started to improve.

smedly wrote: »
    I am sort of siding with utv on this as I actually think eircom are doing something, I almost got connected with utv support while this was happening this evening but got timed out on the call waiting, they stay open until 9pm, I think it would be useful to report this while the problem is there as they can also ping my router from their server. The speed tonight was out from 8:10pm until roughly 9:45pm then it started to improve.

I put this solely down to utv. I still cannot stream the most basic of clips - even youtube is an issue. I want to switch - but where to switch to? I am confined to eircon resellers (no cable here - just bitstream). Local exchange is not getting upgraded to ngb until Jan-Mar. next year. Apparently, right now the limitation of the line in a best case scenario is 6-7mb. I'm prepared to shell out extra for the best download / upload I can get. With which provider would this be - and which package (only interested in 'broadband only')?

I must admit I'm not sure, if it is UTV then I'm putting enough pressure on them to sort it, the other thing I would mention to you is that the so called line test limit is not actually a limit on your phone cable or wires or distance, when they do this test it will also include the exchance equipments ability, I had a huge row with UTV about this, I rang technical support and asked them what the 6mb limit actually was (I had already check with eircom) he proceeded to tell me it was my line, I asked him to be more specific, he then went on to tell me it could be distance - line quality - how many devices etc etc, I have a router in my house that actually tests the line and reports the speed possibilities which where as high as 23mbs, UTV said 7mbs, what they actually meant by this was that the exchance equipment could not support anything faster, could I get the UTV guy to just admit that - no, he simply refused to confirm, really weird.

UTV say they do not put limits on customer connection speeds or throttle them back, funny thing was one night when the speed dropped back and latency went to 300ms I called them and as if by magic when I was on the phone the speed went back to normal, that was strange as I've been testing it every night and it never went to normal until well after 10pm so you could be right.

They are definitely 'profiling' /throttling / traffic shaping.

I get this.

I am going to mail them now - tell them to lift the restriction on my account or i'm moving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

They are definitely 'profiling' /throttling / traffic shaping.

I get this.

I am going to mail them now - tell them to lift the restriction on my account or i'm moving.
    I'd be happy with that right now. Can't even load 360p youtube without stuttering.

1563764363.png

UTV have been terrible since Friday. It may be the bank holiday halloween weekend and midterms combined, perfect storm for traffic. Will see how it pans out next week.

I'd be happy with that right now. Can't even load 360p youtube without stuttering.

1563764363.png

UTV have been terrible since Friday. It may be the bank holiday halloween weekend and midterms combined, perfect storm for traffic. Will see how it pans out next week.

All I can say is vote with your feet. I know there's little in the way of real differentiation between bitstream providers (i.e. eircon resellers) - but it's the only control the customer has. I was previously with BT - relatively happy with them for a few years until they quit the market. Then got palmed off to vodafone - moved from them to smart (who weren't bad except for the fact that I kept getting booted offline when I was running an application that needed 100% uptime) - and then to utv. Have been with utv for over a year - and no issue until very recently. I'll keep moving until a provider does what they're supposed to do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Been with them 8 months now and absolute no problems at all until this weekend. Never dropped below 6.4mb until now.

This is all I'm getting today

1563881082.png

Also they do throttle people but only extremely heavy p2p users during peak hours (6pm-11pm), they even suggest do it outside these hours.

There is nothing on the FUP about the unlimited option. I've been told it was 75GB a month but there is no mention of any restrictions.

http://www.utvinternet.com/pdfs/NI_ADSL_FUP_May_07.pdf

I rarely p2p but I have started to stream quite a bit in the last couple of months. I hit the cap last month -I guess a combination of streaming and the usage behaviour of other house occupants - and I assume my connection is being throttled as a result.

I paid the penalty for exceeding the cap with the withdrawal of service. However, it's very clear - I am not being profiled within certain hours. It doesn't matter what time of the day morning or night that I try to stream content, it simply cannot do it.

If they can't sort it - I'll move on - and keep bloody moving until I'm satisfied with the service.

• Advertisement

I rarely p2p but I have started to stream quite a bit in the last couple of months. I hit the cap last month -I guess a combination of streaming and the usage behaviour of other house occupants - and I assume my connection is being throttled as a result.

I paid the penalty for exceeding the cap with the withdrawal of service. However, it's very clear - I am not being profiled within certain hours. It doesn't matter what time of the day morning or night that I try to stream content, it simply cannot do it.

If they can't sort it - I'll move on - and keep bloody moving until I'm satisfied with the service.

According to tfup they don't throttle. Are you capped or unlimited?
    I stream quite a lot too without any issues, this is the first time in 8 mnts my speeds are bad

and after a bad day it just magically back to normal:confused:

1564086395.png

Advertisement