Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are There Any Happy UTV Internet Customers Here At All?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

AntiRip wrote: »
    According to tfup they don't throttle. Are you capped or unlimited?
    I stream quite a lot too without any issues, this is the first time in 8 mnts my speeds are bad

and after a bad day it just magically back to normal:confused:

1564086395.png
    I'm capped at 20Gb....and no improvement here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭Jake The Fat Ma

Mine is terrible now since friday, its 1664Kbps download now.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shyboy

I have been having a problem with my speeds and, more importantly, high pings over the past 2 weeks. UTV say it is a fault with my line and have logged it with Eircom.

I have to say i'm surprised - but my mail to utv support must have worked - as they turned the taps back on. Normal service has resumed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

I'm capped at 20Gb....and no improvement here...

20GB is a terrible cap, why not go unlimited for the extra e5.99 for piece of mind.
    I'd hit the 20GB cap in a week I say with general surfing and Youtube. I download and stream the odd tv show also.

• Advertisement

20GB is a terrible cap, why not go unlimited for the extra e5.99 for piece of mind.
    I'd hit the 20GB cap in a week I say with general surfing and Youtube. I download and stream the odd tv show also.
    Sure - but i'm not that heavy a user. 20GB is (almost) enough for me - provided they actually let me use the 20GB - which they didn't for the past month.

They've re-applied that same old profile again - against my account.

Back to this.

Got no response to my query re. service from them - but just got an email notifying of 'new and updated terms and conditions'. I've had a scan through the internet related ones - I can't see any major changes. Has anyone else noticed anything?

There is a guy on UTVInternet twitter account who is extremely helpful and polite. You should try dm him or pm me and I'll give you his email address.

There is a guy on UTVInternet twitter account who is extremely helpful and polite. You should try dm him or pm me and I'll give you his email address.

Things went back to normal again - a couple of days back. However, I got a response this morning denying there was ever a problem - and denying that my connection was throttled or profiled in any way.

I know that to be untrue - but I guess I will leave it rest for right now...

• Advertisement

I just thought - to be fair to them - I should come back and report - that I am now getting the same consistent service that I had become accustomed to - leaving the experience in October behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

I've been with UTV twice. Once from 2004-2006 and again from 2008 to the present day.

I noticed that they are now offering a 12Mb for the same price as the 8Mb package from not too long ago, but like others have stated, they do not notify you of the change or apply any upgrade without you first e-mailing them to ask for the upgrade (note that calling them up will only lead to them informing you that you have to e-mail all change requests to admin@u.tv - it's like the dark ages up in there!). It's also true that any changes in speed will reset your contract with them, which is always something that you need to consider. I requested the upgrade on November 1st and it came through today, after accepting the terms that they sent out to me by e-mail on November 3rd.

Here's a Speedtest.net image:
    1580617423.png

The other problem is that when you're faced with ongoing congestion issues, they do claim to try and resolve it with Eircom, but like the other resellers, they are powerless, and you are often left with them telling you there's nothing that they can do. They are also quite sloppy when it comes to replying to e-mailed support. I got very angry with them last year when I'd be waiting for weeks to hear back at a time. Sure, you could call in, but the e-mail support is there for a reason, too.

Their caps are also quite stingy, but that said, they do offer "Unlimited" for €5.99, which adds up and prices them above Vodafone in terms of getting a realistically decent cap - but Vodafone don't currently offer a 12Mb package, and that's the one thing UTV is good for, offering speeds ordinarily not offered by anybody else, including Eircom (I believe they were the first to offer 8Mb, while other ISP's were still offering max speeds of 7Mb or 7.6Mb).

Also their contention is 12:1 which is good compared to others.

Also their contention is 12:1 which is good compared to others.
    Agree with what DECEiFER outlined above. Being realistic, there are no ideal providers out there - at least, certainly not for those of us restricted to bitstream products. There are some plus points too - such as what antirip outlines above - so I guess I will stay put. Can't avail of the speed upgrade right now as my line is only rated for max. 7mb - but apparently, that's due to change in the new year....

Can't avail of the speed upgrade right now as my line is only rated for max. 7mb - but apparently, that's due to change in the new year....

My line ideally can only manage 6mb as the down SN Margin for than is about 11dB dropping to around 6.5/7.0 in the evenings. Anything below that and I start getting dropouts and dropped profiles.

How will this change in the new year? as in better technology or you specifically?

How will this change in the new year? as in better technology or you specifically?
    Eircon ngb upgrade....which was supposed to happen Nov/Dec - but is delayed until first few months of '12.

Having strange problems over the past hour with broadband (up n down like a xxxx's knickers). Perhaps it's a local issue - but thought I would check to see if any other utv bb customers are experiencing same?

Having strange problems over the past hour with broadband (up n down like a xxxx's knickers). Perhaps it's a local issue - but thought I would check to see if any other utv bb customers are experiencing same?

Keep an eye on your linestats (http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/dsl/dt/?be=0&l0=1&l1=0). Is your SN Margin dropping below 5.0 or HEC errors?

Keep an eye on your linestats (http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/dsl/dt/?be=0&l0=1&l1=0). Is your SN Margin dropping below 5.0 or HEC errors?
    I must check this out the next time there's a problem...but right now it's 16/14

Getting pretty crappy speeds again tonight. 1mb on 8mb package.

• Advertisement
Advertisement