Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pebbles in front garden

Options
  • 27-09-2010 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭

How's it goin folks, would appreciate any advice you're willing to dispense as I'm an absolute novice when it comes to gardening! :)

Was considering covering the grass in my front garden with pebbles (and a few larger paving stones thrown randomly around), purely for the look - the grass is horrible and I've tried treating it, to no avail, so I've decided to get rid (ish!). I've got the felt covering (as opposed to the plastic stuff which doesn't allow water to pass), but I was wondering exactly what I'd need to do to ensure it comes off ok?

Can I just cut the grass right down until there's barely any left on it and cover it with felt? Do I need to turn the sod in any way? Should I try to kill off the grass before applying the cover?

Thanks in advance for any responses to what are, probably, some silly questions! :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭handydandy

I helped a guy do this years ago but he had removed the grass layer.
    If you don't want to do that I reckon you will be ok to use a herbicide all over the grass then lay your weed mat and last fill with about 70mm of pebbles, all of this should suppress anything growing underneath.

You will need to replenish the pebbles over time as they will get kicked around stuck in peoples shoes etc, but that will all take time, take your time doing it and you will get a great looking garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

How's it goin folks, would appreciate any advice you're willing to dispense as I'm an absolute novice when it comes to gardening! :)

Was considering covering the grass in my front garden with pebbles (and a few larger paving stones thrown randomly around), purely for the look - the grass is horrible and I've tried treating it, to no avail, so I've decided to get rid (ish!). I've got the felt covering (as opposed to the plastic stuff which doesn't allow water to pass), but I was wondering exactly what I'd need to do to ensure it comes off ok?

Can I just cut the grass right down until there's barely any left on it and cover it with felt? Do I need to turn the sod in any way? Should I try to kill off the grass before applying the cover?

Thanks in advance for any responses to what are, probably, some silly questions! :pac:

OP - this is very straight forward:
    1- spray grass with weedkiller, eg Roundup to kill grass and root. Leave for approx 7 - 10 days and remove dead material from surface.

2 - cover area with a good quality horticultural liner, eg Mypex, which is permeable, ie allows air and water to pass through but prevents weeds/grass regrowing. Best to secure liner by using plastic pegs are alternatively simply improvise by making your own using a wire clothes hanger to make 'U' pegs, and push in to secure at perimeters.

3 - cover area with preferred pebble/stone chippings, depth 30mm is more than adequate, any deeper and you'll be wasting material, money and also likely to become unsightly with heavy ridges. Consider carefully which stone to select, rounded stone ie pebbles do not compact and tend to roll about more than chipped stones which will compact and lock in well. Size is also important < 10mm tend to stick to shoes, so 14-20mm is better size.

4 - check ground levels, as loose stone will drift if laid on sloping ground, so some excavation along margin or install a raised edge (pressure treated board) might be necessary.

5 - to calculate stone/pebble requirements, typically 1 ton will provide 25mm coverage for an area approx 15sq m.

6 - using large boulders is a nice area, you could also cut an 'X' in liner and small some small low growing shrubs, eg ceanothus repens, hebe pingufolia etc, which will make the area more attractive.

Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll look into clearing the grass first and then setting the pebbles down. One final question, though - will the roundup or whatever prevent grass being grown properly again down the line?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Roundup will only deal with existing weed/grass, but if properly applied and area is subsequently covered with liner etc, you should have no problems. However the liner will not prevent any airborne seed falling onto area and germinating. Expect to apply an annual treatment of Roundup if required to ensure area remainsd weed free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Thanks again Sonnenblumen, advice much appreciated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement