Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAM structure

Options
  • 27-09-2010 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

I'm planning to upgrade an oldish IQON PC, that has a single 512mb DDR memory stick, with 2 x 1GB of the same type. The existing memory is 64x64. Can/should I replace this with 128x64 or 64x8? I see these listed on Amazon but no 64x64.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Anyone know if a board takes 64x64 ram sticks then it will take 128x64, or would this not always be true? I'm looking at ram online, Amazon etc, and the density isn't stated on most spec's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Have you tried the Crucial system scanner tool?
    It might help you choose new memory.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. The IQONs were by Philips weren't they? I'm not in front of the PC now.

The crucial tool couldn't identify my memory type. It did tell me this:

System Manufacturer: iQon.ie
    System Model: 865G7MF
    Motherboard Manufacturer: Foxconn
    Motherboard Model: 8657MF-series

I went to the foxconn but there doesn't seem to be a 8657MF-series.

From the stick that's in the machine I know that the memory type is PC3200, 64Mx64 DDR, 400mhz, CL3, NonECC, Unbuffered.

I can find the above spec but only with 128Mx64 or 64Mx8 density but can't find any 64Mx64.

Does anyone know if either of those two different densities would be OK?

I'm reading from some sources that low-density is the way to go for compatibility, so even though the existing RAM is 64x64 I think I'll chance the 64x8.

• Advertisement
Advertisement