Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

which was the most distinctive decade?

• 27-09-2010 6:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭

reelin in the years style. you can tell when something is from the 50's. the 60's. the 70s, the 80s. from the 90's, though it may have been been close to the final step of evolution as not much from the noughties or the onesies thus far distinctly represents that era, seems stuck in the 90s. it seems we have arrived at our final destination where everythings now catered for. but nothing's really original; i cannot include the noughties. through no fault of its own has brought nothing new to the table designs for life have already been forged - which era do you think?

countdown to distinction 21 votes

50's
    0% 0 votes
    60's
    4% 1 vote
    70's
    19% 4 votes
    80's
    28% 6 votes
    90's
    47% 10 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

In before Biggins !

I've just read the OP. Did you swollow a drunken dictionary?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

In before Biggins !

damn sharp. vote, bitches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

It may seem we've reached the pinnacle, but we really haven't. People in the early '80s thought "How can computing get any better than my Commodore 64?" (probably).

Anyway, I'd say the '60s. Pretty innovative and distinctive decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Superbus wrote: »
    It may seem we've reached the pinnacle, but we really haven't. People in the early '80s thought "How can computing get any better than my Commodore 64?" (probably).

fashion, media. arts transport etc - when you can see footage, hear something n easily associate it with a decade. like reelin in the years only without 'puters

i say '70s, though i favour '80s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

Don't be so quick to disregard the last decade. The naughties started with people copping onto this new email / internet craze and ended with iphones and facebook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

I'm thinking the 90s, in this country at least. Start of the culture of mobile phones and the internet etc Huge changes in family structure and dynamics, decline of religious influence, significant changes in the economy and education.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Worldwide the 70's
    Locally the 90's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I'd say its either the 70's and or 80's as the most distinctive changes occurred during those decades along with a couple of revolutions and activists going on around then. Many technological, scientific and medical advancesments happened and many governmental, human rights and employment and educational changes occurred.

Worldwide been the 70's anywhere else been the 80's but here been the 90's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

80's for the music!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

60's for music. anyone who disagrees needs to stop downloading from the top of the pops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

For Ireland it was defintely the 90's. We removed the shackles of the church and made massive progress as a country. So much so, that we went from being one of the poorest Western nations, with high emigration, to one where employers were crying out for immigrant labour.

Yes, things are borked at the moment, but it will get better. Maybe a bit worse before then, but we're not going to be in this hole forever.

For the rest of the Western world, probably the 60's.

The Muslim world still seems to be stuck in what was the dark ages for Christian countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

To be honest, the only people who can really comment on this is somebody who has lived through each decade. The rest of us are speculating based on what the media has fed us about those decades. So I guess I'll comment on the three decades I've lived through. I'll go with the 90's.

Advertisement