Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reinstalled Windows on Self built PC - No Sound?

Options
  • 27-09-2010 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hi guys,

ReInstalled Windows Xp Sp3 on my PC again, and now everytime I try use the sound, it uses the inbuilt windows beep sound on the motherboard.

Installed my latest sound driver from scratch and all installed perfectly - no errors or anything. Go into the sound settings and my sound card is default - SB X-Fi Audio [EC00]

The sound card is Creative XFI Extreme Gamer soundcard and the mother board is ASUS P5Q SE2 iP45 Socket 775. Device manager shows all ok - nothing with a ? or exclamation mark on it apart from "other devices" PCI Device - not sure if this is my soundcard or not though

Any help appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭musicformedia

Solitaire wrote: »
    Right-click the speaker icon in the Taskbar tray next to the clock, choose Audio Properties, go to the Audio tab, and in the first section (Sound Playback) go to the Default Device box and choose your sound card from the drop-down menu ;)

Thanks for the reply - its already set to that unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Speakers turned up?

Yup - the mother board built in beep sound is coming up rather than the actual normal windows sound so it appears that it is set to default or does not recognise the sound card

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

What about when you try to play music or a video in your preferred media player or play a game?

It really is strange that the driver is all set in Device Manager and you're still getting beeps. Since it is showing as active, the on-board sound in the BIOS must be enabled. I used to own a P5Q SE Plus and never had a problem with the VIA controller, and I understand that the controller is VIA and not Realtek on the P5Q SE2 as well.

Forgive me for stating the obvious, as you might have tried this already, but what about uninstalling the drivers and software and re-installing them again? It may also be a good idea to check that the driver you downloaded is the exact one for your particular controller (did you download it from the ASUS site, specifically your motherboard's product page? - http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=URA00A6u0GrUqHiH&templete=2).

When I try and play music/video there is just no sound at all. I will try and download the drivers and uninstall and reinstall them and see how it goes later this evening thanks :)

• Advertisement

When I try and play music/video there is just no sound at all. I will try and download the drivers and uninstall and reinstall them and see how it goes later this evening thanks :)
    Cool, let us know how it goes either way?

Stupid question I know, but how can I uninstall the drivers lol?

Stupid question I know, but how can I uninstall the drivers lol?
    You need not uninstall anything. :)

You'll be wiping the drive like a hurricane swooping...ah that was bad taste.

Keep the questions coming. I've installed Windows about 100000000 times in the last 18 years so I should be able to answer your questions, but I don't know exactly what level you're at so I wasn't sure to post a complete step-by-step or not. I think it's better to ask me and others what you want to know.

DECEiFER wrote: »
    You need not uninstall anything. :)

You'll be wiping the drive like a hurricane swooping...ah that was bad taste.

Keep the questions coming. I've installed Windows about 100000000 times in the last 18 years so I should be able to answer your questions, but I don't know exactly what level you're at so I wasn't sure to post a complete step-by-step or not. I think it's better to ask me and others what you want to know.

You mean reinstall windows again from scratch?

You mean reinstall windows again from scratch?
    Unless you want to install Vista and upgrade from there, I'm afraid so! There might be workarounds but since I'm not a fan of 'Upgrading', preferring clean installs every time, I have not looked into it. But as standard, it is not possible to upgrade Windows XP to Windows 7 as it would be with Vista to 7.

• Advertisement

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Unless you want to install Vista and upgrade from there, I'm afraid so! There might be workarounds but since I'm not a fan of 'Upgrading', preferring clean installs every time, I have not looked into it. But as standard, it is not possible to upgrade Windows XP to Windows 7 as it would be with Vista to 7.

*Sigh*...great I've reinstalled windows on my laptop and PC over the weekend 6 times so far now... :( Oh well, once more won't hurt so :)

I have only reinstalled it on my PC once and that is when this issue came up, so I'll give it a go later in the week and hope it works ;)

Emmett

Ah you'll be grand. Get it right, take care of it thereafter and you won't need to re-install for a long time to come. A few more hours of torture is worth that outcome. :)

Best of luck with it. Post back anytime with questions or problems, PM me if you wish also.

Thanks very much really appreciate your help - will probably be reinstalling tomorrow night and will let you know how it goes ;)

Emmett

Perfect. Post back even if it goes to plan, might help others in the same situation. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Shot in the dark here, but before you reinstall, try disable the PC beep being played from windows. I noticed recently if one of the levels is lower than it should be and the PC beep is enabled, it's possible that playback can be effectively canceled out because of feedback from the PC beep circuit.

link on how to disable it in XP

Shot in the dark here, but before you reinstall, try disable the PC beep being played from windows. I noticed recently if one of the levels is lower than it should be and the PC beep is enabled, it's possible that playback can be effectively canceled out because of feedback from the PC beep circuit.

link on how to disable it in XP
    That's actually a brilliant idea, it reminded me of something similar from years ago. Try that first for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭BeciMester

Had a similar issue with a laptop with 5.1 output. That sound card was recognized by windows as 5.1 and the headphone out was configured as channels 4&5 which are quiet most of the time. If you have stereo speakers there's a setting somewhere in audio properties to disable 5.1 and turn on stereo. Could it be that...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Did you try to disable the onboard audio in the bios? Had a similar issue before and this fixed it, there was a conflict

OK reinstalled the driver on it by going into sounds and audio devices properties, then hardware, then creative SB X-Fi, then properties, driver and uninstall. This totally uninstalled the drivers for the soundcard - device manager showed that it was uninstalled as there was a question mark beside it. I right clicked on it in device manager, automatically installed the driver from letting it search online and the correct driver is installed now - shows up perfectly etc.

I disabled the beep in windows but now there is just no noise. Really would rather not go through the whole reinstall again as it doesn't seem to be a driver issue so don't know would reinstalling windows make much of a difference...

Thanks for your help so far :)

Emmett

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

At this point a reinstall wouldn't be to ensure gone drivers are gone, it would be to ensure you have a stable OS install. If the card is showing up and is set as default and drivers are good it could be a major issue with your OS install's audio core :(

Don't suppose you've tried toggling the Audio Output control in the BIOS between AC97 and Azalia and see if that makes a diiference? If that's set wrong all kinds of weird stuff happens! :o

• Advertisement

Ok, reinstalled and the exact same issue. Had this problem with my laptop and apparently it was an issue with XP SP3 install I was using - needed an altered driver.

This is a totally different soundcard, but I'm wondering if that might be something to do with it?

I've changed the audio output in the bios on "Front Panel" to AC97 and back to "HD Audio" but no change...

Ok, reinstalled and the exact same issue. Had this problem with my laptop and apparently it was an issue with XP SP3 install I was using - needed an altered driver.

This is a totally different soundcard, but I'm wondering if that might be something to do with it?

I've changed the audio output in the bios on "Front Panel" to AC97 and back to the original but no change...
    Sorry. So your Laptop was also showing the same symptoms as the PC with your X-Fi?

If it's a case that you suspect your copy of Windows XP with SP3 integrated, I have to ask if it's an official and legitimate copy and not one acquired by another *cough* means, or Tiny XP and other such modified versions? ;)

Its a modified version of XP - I have an XP license, but downloaded this copy as I had no XP CD (License came with the PC, but no installer CD) - surely its just the same install of XP?

Its a modified version of XP - I have an XP license, but downloaded this copy as I had no XP CD (License came with the PC, but no installer CD) - surely its just the same install of XP?
    I'm always skeptical of modified versions of anything, though I've used my fair share without problems in the past. The problem is that you just don't know what was done to it and what could have been broken. No Windows is perfect, we all know that, but what we do know is that in general most of the standard features that facilitate in everyday use do work for the most part with the official copy.

I can provide you with an untouched MSDN ISO of Windows XP Professional with SP3 that I am privy to via the MSDN Academic Alliance. You can probably use your own key with it, unless your key is for a different edition? If you'd like, I can put it on my web host and PM you the link a bit later when it's done.

Thanks - I have another version of XP here that I'll try instead and see if that makes any difference. Just to make clear - I do have a genuine key for XP - two in fact - but I was just never given an XP installation CD with either my laptop or my PC, which is a pain in the nuts. I don't know was it supposed to be included, or are we just never supposed to reinstall or what.

I'll try installing a plain version of XP that I have and see if that works - thanks for the help so far ;) If this one doesnt work, I might take you up on the offer of the version you have :)

Thanks - I have another version of XP here that I'll try instead and see if that makes any difference. Just to make clear - I do have a genuine key for XP - two in fact - but I was just never given an XP installation CD with either my laptop or my PC, which is a pain in the nuts. I don't know was it supposed to be included, or are we just never supposed to reinstall or what.
    Some OEM's are skimpin' ****s. It can happen a few ways. Some will give you a recovery CD, some will give you a full installation but OEM branded CD, some will include a hidden recovery partition on the hard disk that can be accessed via hotkey during boot time. Some might even give you more than one of the above. But, the sad fact is that some OEM's will give you absolutely nothing!
    I'll try installing a plain version of XP that I have and see if that works - thanks for the help so far ;) If this one doesnt work, I might take you up on the offer of the version you have :)
    No bother, PM me if you're interested to ensure I get an email notification about it (in case I get unsubscribed from this thread automatically due to not logging in recently or some craic).

Right, screw it, I have a Vista Home Edition which I bought about 2 or 3 years ago now which is the proper OEM version. I'm going to install this and just use it instead.

The only reason I was going with XP 32 bit was because my keyboard (music) didn't support 64 bit drivers - lets hope it works with their latest drivers!

Right, screw it, I have a Vista Home Edition which I bought about 2 or 3 years ago now which is the proper OEM version. I'm going to install this and just use it instead.

The only reason I was going with XP 32 bit was because my keyboard (music) didn't support 64 bit drivers - lets hope it works with their latest drivers!
    If the Keyboard hasn't any later drivers then it won't make any difference. You should check the web for its latest release and see if it has a 64-bit driver. Otherwise it will not work. I have to use two versions of Windows 7. I primarily boot into the 64-bit version but if I want to use my audio monitors in my old-but-still-very-useful Yamaha DSP Factory card, I need to boot into Windows 7 32-bit. Driver development ceased in 2004 for the card so there is no 64-bit driver available for it, and can never work in a 64-bit only Operating System unless someone creates a suitable driver.

Oh, and if you do go the Vista route, be sure to get SP2 installed afterward, I believe it actually makes Vista bearable!

Yea thanks - its Virus Ti Keyboard - apparently it does have 64 bit support now, but searching their website is impossible when trying to find them, so just emailed them now.

Thanks for the advice on SP2 - will dl it straight away when I get online. Spent about 3 full days on this now :(

• Advertisement

Yea thanks - its Virus Ti Keyboard - apparently it does have 64 bit support now, but searching their website is impossible when trying to find them, so just emailed them now.

Thanks for the advice on SP2 - will dl it straight away when I get online. Spent about 3 full days on this now :(
    Ah you should be grand now.

Is this what you need?

viris-ti-64-bit_thumb.png

Advertisement