Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reinstalled Windows on Self built PC - No Sound?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭musicformedia

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Ah you should be grand now.

Is this what you need?

viris-ti-64-bit_thumb.png

You sir...are an absolute legend...I literally looked at that website for about an hour today and couldn't find that anywhere lol.

Right, let see how this goes with Vista so! Report back in an hr or so I suppose :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

You sir...are an absolute legend...I literally looked at that website for about an hour today and couldn't find that anywhere lol.

Right, let see how this goes with Vista so! Report back in an hr or so I suppose :)
    No bother. Best of luck with it! :)

Vista installed perfectly. Audio drivers installed perfectly.

No sound... Selected "Creative SB X-Fi" as my default playback device (has a tick and working beside it) and when I click on the volume control and change the volume nothing happens at all - usually it would at least look like there was sound going somewhere on the PC by the volume meter going up and down. Nothing at all now

Vista installed perfectly. Audio drivers installed perfectly.

No sound... Selected "Creative SB X-Fi" as my default playback device (has a tick and working beside it) and when I click on the volume control and change the volume nothing happens at all - usually it would at least look like there was sound going somewhere on the PC by the volume meter going up and down. Nothing at all now
    Nothing at all on the meter in the Playback Properties? This might sound stupid, but did you install the latest driver from Creative's website, an older driver from Creative, or did you let Windows Update install its driver?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Is the onboard sound working? This is sounding more and more like the card itself is blown :o

• Advertisement

Solitaire wrote: »
    Is the onbaord sound working? This is sounding more and more like the card itself is blown :o
    It's strange that if the card was blown that the driver would be operational. The Creative installer does check for the presence of the card before going forward with the installation. Though it is odd, not quite in the standard array of everyday problems. I was thinking that if the meter did show sound that either the jack socket socket was blown or something else between the card and speakers line.

musicformedia, did you check this meter (or the one on the system tray)?

vu-meter-7.png

Checked both of those levels - system tray and in that one too. Both show no movement in noise levels no matter what I do

I installed the software by downloading directly from the creative website - definitively have the correct drivers for it. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling them a minute ago and no difference

I installed the software by downloading directly from the creative website - definitively have the correct drivers for it. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling them a minute ago and no difference
    How about Solitaire's question about the on-board audio working?

Can't get around to the back of my PC to plug in my speakers into that part, but when I select the built in soundcard as the playback device, and move the sound level up and down, it moves a tiny bit on the sound level in the system tray

• Advertisement

Can't get around to the back of my PC to plug in my speakers into that part, but when I select the built in soundcard as the playback device, and move the sound level up and down, it moves a tiny bit on the sound level in the system tray
    That's something at least, but it could be only a small amount due to it being a humming noise or just a low volume level in Windows.

It really is starting to look like the card is at fault. Can you get into your case and switch the PCI/PCI-E slot the X-Fi's in, or perhaps lob it into another PC and test it there?

Oh, one more thing, something to try beforehand. Disable the on-board audio altogether inside the BIOS, if possible and assuming you haven't tried that already.

DECEiFER wrote: »
    That's something at least, but it could be only a small amount due to it being a humming noise or just a low volume level in Windows.

It really is starting to look like the card is at fault. Can you get into your case and switch the PCI/PCI-E slot the X-Fi's in, or perhaps lob it into another PC and test it there?

Oh, one more thing, something to try beforehand. Disable the on-board audio altogether inside the BIOS, if possible and assuming you haven't tried that already.

To be honest, I'm just going to give my PC to a friend as I'm in the UK all of next week so won't be using it. He's uber good with PCs so I'll let him handle it - if it is a soundcard, I'll just buy a new one happily. Will let you know how I get on anyway ;)

Emmett

To be honest, I'm just going to give my PC to a friend as I'm in the UK all of next week so won't be using it. He's uber good with PCs so I'll let him handle it - if it is a soundcard, I'll just buy a new one happily. Will let you know how I get on anyway ;)

Emmett
    Do, it'll be interesting to see what your buddy finds. Best of luck again. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Well where have you got your speakers plugged in?

The sound card outlets are at the back of the PC, plug the speakers in there! In the sound card outlets, Not into the MoBo outlets and Not into the front of PC

Yea, have plugged the speakers into the soundcard outlets on the back of the PC - the green coloured one. Have tried all of the holes and have tried a pair of headphones aswell, but no use. All used to work perfectly with this setup until before the install

Actually guys...now that I think of it. The sound completely disappeared after playing Battefield Bad Company 2 and it kept turning on and off (a known bug) and a pop and hiss here and there. Eventually there was a pop and the sound never came back on since then. I thought it was the drivers, so it actually could just be a blown sound card - will def have to try it in another PC and thought should show for sure. Will see what my friend thinks as I'd say it is looking like a blown card now :(

So friend in work looked at it, and the soundcard is fried. Thanks for all the help guys! :)

So friend in work looked at it, and the soundcard is fried. Thanks for all the help guys! :)
    Ah well, at least you know what the problem is now. Going to stick with Vista or head on back to XP? Windows 7 is always a viable option in the future if you got yourself a cheap OEM copy.

Advertisement