Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken Liver

Options
  • 27-09-2010 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭

Hi all, i have gotten an urge to make some Pate with chicken liver but i have no idea where i could get some livers? the butcher won't have any abd after that i'm lost, anyone know any good places to get some? preferably in midlands, thanks. Recipes would be nice too!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Why won't the butcher have any?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

they dont butcher the chicken, it's bought in as is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Just ask your butcher to get some in for you, it shouldn't be a problem. My local butcher does it for me near Christmas when I get pate fever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Ring around a few local butchers. Some may keep some bags of livers
    in the freezer, or has been said, can get them from their chicken
    suppliers at the next delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

I would imagine most big butchers have them, I buy them regularly, they buy them in a frozen lump and usually saw off inch thick slices with their big saw. Very handy, buy few extra slices & keep in freezer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

phormium wrote: »
    I would imagine most big butchers have them, I buy them regularly, they buy them in a frozen lump and usually saw off inch thick slices with their big saw. Very handy, buy few extra slices & keep in freezer.

Exactly what I was going to say, OP I thought your butcher had given you a reason why they didn't have it from the way you said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

local butchers don't have it

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

I got some in Aldi last week, and I've found them in Centra before now (frozen, in tubs). If you have either near you, you could be lucky. My fridge is full of chicken liver paté :)

Edited to add:

Here's a the recipe (adapted from Delia)

500g tub of chicken livers (Delia uses 225g, but my tub had 500g in it so I used the whole thing, came out fine). Pick them over and make sure there's no trace of a bile duct in there, or your paté will end up bitter.
    Melt a little butter (from an 250g block) in a pan, and cook the livers for about 5 minutes, until cooked through and no longer red. Using a slotted spoon, remove them, and put them into a liquidizer. Melt the rest of the butter (reserving a couple of tablespoonfuls) in the same pan,and pour it over the livers in the machine. Deglaze the pan with 2 tablespoonfuls of brandy, add that to the livers etc. Add a pinch of mace, 1 tsp of Colman's mustard power, plenty of black pepper, a pinch of salt and a few sprigs of fresh thyme. Whizz until perfectly smooth, taste for seasoning and adjust, pour into ramekins (this made 6 for me). Melt the remaining butter, and pour over the top of each ramekin to seal.

Best after a couple of days in the fridge letting the flavours mellow and meld. Apparently can be frozen, but I haven't tried that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Guill wrote: »
    local butchers don't have it

All the ones in my area have them. They buy they in from there suppliers and keep tubs of them in their freezers. They are never on display though so it might be worth asking for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Superquinn have them

• Advertisement
Advertisement