Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cowen Lampooned on US TV

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

How much time and effort did we Irish put into taking the Mick from US Presidents?

I don't recall receiving an official protest...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭btard

I can't believe people are annoyed they didn't call him Taoiseach. The sooner the better my visa comes through. I can't wait to get out of this ****hole of a country and the gob****es in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Sheeps

btard wrote: »
    I can't believe people are annoyed they didn't call him Taoiseach. The sooner the better my visa comes through. I can't wait to get out of this ****hole of a country and the gob****es in it.

i cant wait until ur gone as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

blackdog2 wrote: »
    Nor did we vote for this taoiseach...

And which Taoiseach have we ever voted for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Sheeps wrote: »
    dont knock the adrian kennedy phone show. its like jeremey kyle. he does the community a good service by presenting scumbags in an easily accessible format to be laughed at.

What!!! how have i not heard of this before??? when, where who and how might i tap into this comedy gold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Biffo got off easy. Nice to see the yanks can the the piss out of him , even if we're not allowed to.

No credit to Leno either btw. Total spa. Hey have you seen this clip? Have you heard this one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Dudess wrote: »
    People were freaking out over this on the Joe Duffy show? FFS, while some might consider Cowen an embarrassment, I personally find that sort of hypersensitivity even more embarrassing...

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

fontanalis wrote: »
    In fairness you can't expect a country to be fluent in a langauge that isn't spoken by most if the people in the country where it's from.

What Jay cannot say TEA SHOCK? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Zigmund

Hardly anyone watches Leno anymore.
    It's like if the US went into an uproar because something got said about Obama, but on TG4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Markom5a

Again!!! Think he would have learned his lesson from the morning Ireland interview and stayed in the night before!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 arid

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    And when talking about Vladimir Putin they should refer to him by his correct title "Премьер-министр"

Yeah, which is pronounced "premier minister" :pac:

Anyway it's not that bit that's the problem, not a fan of Cowen but calling him a "drunken moron" is maybe a bit much. Actualy on second thoughts... :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Doesn't bother me in the slightest but Americans taking the piss out of another nation's leader???.....

< just one of many.

They had this donkey^ as their president for 8 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

Boobs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Confab wrote: »
    Taoiseach means Prime Minister. I can imagine you saying 'That's not a bed, it's a leaba!' :rolleyes:

No it doesn't.

It translates as 'Chief' or 'leader'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

No it doesn't.

Right now, that definition sounds like a major contradiction.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Poor Auld Cowan, all he wanted was a pint.

Sure God love him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

haha.. fat, ugly ****ing country wrecking piss head...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Did he say cowen was a hippo walrus hybrid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Did he say cowen was a hippo walrus hybrid?

Not sure.
    But it seems to be true regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Doesn't bother me in the slightest but Americans taking the piss out of another nation's leader???.....

Well, yes, and now, for a short while, they've got somebody they don't (yet) need to apologise for.

I can't blame them for trying to make the most of this short time span and make fun of other countries' leaders for a change...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Most of us do enjoy a drink from time to time, which we have in common with most Americans, Germans, French, etc. But Ireland has somehow managed to pick up a reputation as being a country full of raving alcoholics, and its doing us no favours.

You'd think the leader of this country could show a bit more restraint at a time when we're going hat in hand to Europe to borrow billions for the mistakes made by the government, and not get photographed staggering around the place half cut.

Brian Cowen is a man badly out of his depth when we need strong leadership. History will not judge him kindly, and I find it hard to have any sympathy for the man. Yes he's only human, but we're entitled to better.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Don't have too much time for FF but have very little respect for pop US tv.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

Prime minister / Chieftain / Taoiseach.

Who cares. he is the prime minister of the country.

However - if it was changed to Chieftain instead of Taoiseach....

Now that'd be awesome...:P

"And now...some words from Irelands Chieftain..."

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Saw this last night. Quite funny. Nice pic of Cowen there too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭AAAAAAAHHH

Leno is a gob****e anyway, he's entire act seems to have denigrated into pointing out how superior he is to other people. I cant stand the smug git, but he has achieved the impossible, he made me stand up for Brian Cowen. How many other world leaders enjoy a drink, Winston Churchill was an alcoholic for pete's sake. Yet because Cowen wasn't blessed with looks he becomes an object of ridicule. If he was being mocked for his policies, his incompetence or his record then I would be all for it, satire is a wonderful thing. But no, Mr. Holywood Jay Leno wants us all to look at this freak of nature, with a photograph catching him at a bad time, who enjoys a pint like everyone else. Muppet.

Conan never would have lowered himself to this.

Ah yes, Cowen wasn't blessed with looks. As opposed to that glistening Adonis, Churchill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

fontanalis wrote: »
    In fairness you can't expect a country to be fluent in a langauge that isn't spoken by most if the people in the country where it's from.

Well we call Ahmedinejad the Prime Minister of Iran. I doubt any of us even know what his title would be in the Farsi language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Taoiseach means Prime Minister. I can imagine you saying 'That's not a bed, it's a leaba!' :rolleyes:

Taoiseach means chief actually. Or cúnt sometimes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Cowen's drinking is just adding to our problems however, and reinforcing negative stereotypes and perceptions of the country as a whole.
    Was just watching Gazza on saturday night show last night, whenever gazza mentioned Drink and dublin in the same sentence, the crowd gave an automatic "whooop" to say "yeah gazza we're a nation of pissheads too"
    Our country has that image because it's true....People visit here to go on the piss...just like they go to Amsterdam to smoke...All cowen has done is acted like an normal irish person and to thwe rest of the world that can be an ugly thing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Only thing embarrassing is the fact it is so unfunny. Leno has and always will be crap. Bring back Conan O'Brien who calls us alcoholic angry pirates.

• Advertisement

< just one of many.

They took the piss out of him constantly. They took the piss out of Bush senior, Reagan and Clinton. Haven't heard too many zingers going the way of Obama though!

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Haven't heard too many zingers going the way of Obama though!

Well thats because theres not much to take the piss about.

Unfortunately for US comedians, since Bush went out of office they don't have the same amount of presidential goof-ups to benefit from. Obama seems to be fairly intelligent, articulate & sensible. The complete opposite of his predecessor.
    Not great for the likes of Jay Leno. They thrive on peoples inadequacies & faults so theres not much to extract from Obama so far.

Hence the well earned dig at our 'leader'.

Well thats because theres not much to take the piss about.

Unfortunately for US comedians, since Bush went out of office they don't have the same amount of presidential goof-ups to benefit from. Obama seems to be fairly intelligent, articulate & sensible. The complete opposite of his predecessor.
    Not great for the likes of Jay Leno. They thrive on peoples inadequacies & faults so theres not much to extract from Obama so far.

Hence the well earned dig at our 'leader'.

Obamas made quite a pretty dumb remarks. I would post any links because I would get hammered for it I think. His attempt at bowling was pretty funny, when the teleprompter broke he lost his elegance completely. Obama just seems to be wrapped in cotton wool.

Obamas made quite a pretty dumb remarks. I would post any links because I would get hammered for it I think. His attempt at bowling was pretty funny, when the teleprompter broke he lost his elegance completely. Obama just seems to be wrapped in cotton wool.

What ever way you cut it, he hasn't made anywhere near as many fcuk-ups as Bush did in his first 2 years as president.

Theres no comparison really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

scoops for everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

They took the piss out of him constantly. They took the piss out of Bush senior, Reagan and Clinton. Haven't heard too many zingers going the way of Obama though!

They're on the way. I'm sure the realisation that he isn't god has set in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭GizAGoOfYerGee

Taoiseach means Prime Minister.

It means "Chieftain".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Looks like he has been replaced by Rab C. Nesbitt

http://www.irishtimes.com/homepage/images/1224279863991.jpg?ts=1285684961

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I would say all the pics and satire is taking it's toll on Brians Cowen family especially his kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

Augmerson wrote: »
    I thought it meant Chieftain?
    No, its means Chieftain
    kraggy wrote: »
    No it doesn't. It means chieftain.

Príomh Aire is the Gaeilge for Prime Minister.
    No it doesn't.

It means "Chieftain".

Really, you don't say? It'd be great if you could have designated Augmerson as the chieftain, instead of the same point being reiterated independently over and over again.

The argument is also stupid. Internationally, prime minster would be the most understood and appropriate word.

Search for Taoiseach in Google. The first response you get back has this as the description:
    The Taoiseach is the Irish prime minister. Includes publications of the Department, press releases and speeches.

Which is obtained from DMOZ.

If you are not satisfied with this, I will refer to section 5.1 of the constitution of Ireland, which states (emphasis mine):
    The head of the Government, or Prime Minister, shall be called, and is in this Constitution referred to as, the Taoiseach.

So, there really isn't an excuse for people to be getting their knickers in twist that the Taoiseach is referred to as a Prime Minister. It's synonymous.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

Really, you don't say? It'd be great if you could have designated Augmerson as the chieftain, instead of the same point be reiterated independently.

The argument is also stupid. Internationally, prime minster would be the most understood and appropriate word.

Search for Taoiseach in Google. The first response you get back has this as the description:

Which is obtained from DMOZ.

If you are not satisfied with this, I will refer to section 5.1 of the constitution of Ireland, which states (emphasis mine):

So, there really isn't an excuse for people to be getting their knickers in twist that the Taoiseach is referred to as a Prime Minister. It's synonymous.

It only means chieftain as Gaeilge. It mean 'the Irish prime minister' in modern English, (according the Oxford English Dictionary). It's really not that complicated.

To everyone who thinks it means chieftain: do you also think that the Republic of Ireland is a pre-modern tribe or clan, rather than a modern parliamentary democracy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

To everyone who thinks it means chieftain: do you also think that the Republic of Ireland is a pre-modern tribe or clan, rather than a modern parliamentary democracy?

I normally answer democracy, but look at all the close relatives in the Dail looking out for their tribesmen.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

Snakeblood wrote: »
    I normally answer democracy, but look at all the close relatives in the Dail looking out for their tribesmen.

:(
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭moonpurple

cowen is a td since age 24, it is up to him for jay leno to not have that slob photo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

moonpurple wrote: »
    cowen is a td since age 24, it is up to him for jay leno to not have that slob photo

It really is a nightmare photo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Was he actually drunk in that photo, does he not have any PR savvy, who took the pic?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

To everyone arguing that Taoiseach means chieftain, it doesn't. It translates into Irish as chieftain/leader, it means the Prime Minister of Ireland in modern english usage.

I don't know why people are getting so upset about it. It was a 30 second triviality on U.S. tv. World leaders get mocked, deal with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Wahey! We're famous in England too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I can't believe people are still going on about this.

The man had a few pints with work collegues for god's sake, it's not the end of the world.

Seriously I really think we need to let this go now.

If anything is given people a bad impression of us it's all the hysterical whining about this non-event imo. It's no wonder these people take the piss out of us.

Advertisement