Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheque Query

Options
  • 27-09-2010 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭

I am leaving my current job at the end of the month. I am leaving the country two days later. I finish on a friday and will be getting my last monthly pay via cheque. Will it be possible to go to the bank and have it cashed there and then if I go to the bank it was issued by? I know they will cash it if I have the money in my account to cover it but I wont as all my money will have been transferred to a different account in the country Im going to. Will it be a problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Yes it will most likely be a problem.

Suggest contacting bank in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

you can cash it there and then if it is the branch the cheque is drawn on and bring suitable ID for yourself to confirm you are the payee of the cheque. Easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

I have found out the branch which my employer will issue the cheque from. So I can just go down there and have it cashed so long as I have photo ID, correct?

Slunk wrote: »
    I have found out the branch which my employer will issue the cheque from. So I can just go down there and have it cashed so long as I have photo ID, correct?

absolutely.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sarahlulu

only as long as the cheque is not crossed

• Advertisement

sarahlulu wrote: »
    only as long as the cheque is not crossed

Crossed means account payee only. Can still be cashed, he just need ID to confirm identity.

cheques crossed account payee only cannot be cashed, with or without id. They have to be lodged to the payee's bank account

cheques crossed account payee only cannot be cashed, with or without id. They have to be lodged to the payee's bank account

Ive cashed a good few of them personally over the years and previously as cashier in a bank many years ago i cashed them for customers. Maybe its up to the branch itself but never had a problem myself cashing a crossed cheque. There is no rule stopping it.

Procedures regarding cheques have tightened up considerably. When a cheque is crossed Account Payee, that is an instruction from the person issuing the cheque to the bank that are negotiating it. As a result, it should only be lodged to an account in the name of the payee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Even with ID, I don't know if a bank will definitely cash the cheque for you. You should really check with the branch before you try this, as they could decide not to cash it on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Procedures regarding cheques have tightened up considerably. When a cheque is crossed Account Payee, that is an instruction from the person issuing the cheque to the bank that are negotiating it. As a result, it should only be lodged to an account in the name of the payee.

The Cheques Act 1959 allows for instances where the payee can endorse the back of a cheque and pass it to a third party who effectively becomes the payee.

The exception is if the cheque is marked "not negotiable" - then no deviations are permitted.

Advertisement