Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barrack Street

Options
  • 27-09-2010 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi just wondering if anyone knows whats all the building work on Barrack St for? Outside Abra there seems to be loads of road works going on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Its supposed to be another entrance for cars to Fairgreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

yeah they are changing the road to make a permanent entrance/exit to fairgreen...i think they're putting in a roundabout SHOCK! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭carlaboi

YES! Another roundabout, just what Carlow needs! We must have more roundabouts than any other county in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

not quite...have you been to portlaoise?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

If you were to come from Castlecomer to Carlow and wanted to go to Tesco via the ring road and the inner relief road you would have to use 13 roundabouts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

To go from my house to Tesco(I live a 5 minute walk) You go through 4 roundabouts.
    ha..it's unbelievable.

we must have the highest roundabout/car ratio in Ireland yet you'll be lucky if you can find anyone who knows how to use the bloody things! rarely been behind or seen someone driving that can use them.

If it isn't the wrong lane it's incorrect indicating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

SV wrote: »
    If it isn't the wrong lane it's incorrect indicating.

How about both! up the middle of the roundabout with no indicators! one of the most common sights in carlow!

anyways back on topic, I think it is about time they opened that entrance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

tommycahir wrote: »
    How about both! up the middle of the roundabout with no indicators! one of the most common sights in carlow!

anyways back on topic, I think it is about time they opened that entrance.
    i think they should have waited a few months to see what effect opwening the bypass will have on traffic on barrack street before letting fairgreen take over the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

hope they will not chop down some of those beautiful mature trees for another poxy roundabout that will cost thousands to put in and eventually pulled up in a few years. :rolleyes:

Are the widening the bridge over the burrin or just cleaning up around the memorial there at the bus park? Afaik that spot had become notorious for drug use and dealings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 jakimar

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Are the widening the bridge over the burrin or just cleaning up around the memorial there at the bus park? Afaik that spot had become notorious for drug use and dealings.

I hear they are putting another roundabout on the junction at Superquinn so there will be two roundabouts in Barrack St.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

foggy_lad wrote: »
    i think they should have waited a few months to see what effect opwening the bypass will have on traffic on barrack street before letting fairgreen take over the town.

The Carlow bypass has been open since May 2008. That's over 2 years. What difference is another couple of months going to make?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Nead21 wrote: »
    yeah they are changing the road to make a permanent entrance/exit to fairgreen...i think they're putting in a roundabout SHOCK! :rolleyes:
    carlaboi wrote: »
    YES! Another roundabout, just what Carlow needs! We must have more roundabouts than any other county in Ireland!

another roundabout oh joy oh bliss, just what a learner driver likes to see

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

ever been to swindon? - roundabout capital of the world. - even roundabouts on roundabout - i kid you not!:D

Try fathom this one http://www.bbc.co.uk/wiltshire/content/image_galleries/wiltshire_live_search_gallery.shtml?15

That's 5 mini roundabouts set around a larger roundabout!! Wow!

How do they control the contra-flow on them?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

its not as bad to drive through as it looks especailly after coming thorugh about 20 other roundabouts in the area first! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭carlaboi

91011 wrote: »
    ever been to swindon? - roundabout capital of the world. - even roundabouts on roundabout - i kid you not!:D

Try fathom this one http://www.bbc.co.uk/wiltshire/content/image_galleries/wiltshire_live_search_gallery.shtml?15

OMG! That cant be real?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

A bit of a fuss going on today on Barrack Street.

They began tearing down the monument to Lieut. Kevin Gleeson who was killed in the Congo 50 years ago.

People giving out to the workers!

they are putting in a massive sewer pipe emptying into the burren just beside that monument.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,764 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Laois_Man wrote: »
    A bit of a fuss going on today on Barrack Street.

They began tearing down the monument to Lieut. Kevin Gleeson who was killed in the Congo 50 years ago.

People giving out to the workers!

Where exactly is that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Trilla wrote: »
    Where exactly is that?

Well it isn't anywhere anymore cos it's gone already I'd say. But it was on the side of the street near the lights at the bus park end of the street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭nagero

from http://www.carlowmaindrainage.ie
    A large water storage chamber, or Combined Sewer Overflow (CSO) Chamber is under construction at Hanover.

I'd guess that it is a storage tank to hold back the water from the on street drains (sewers) and control its entry into the river to reduce flooding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭nagero

Trilla wrote: »
    Where exactly is that?

Google Street View - The bit of grass/shrubs between the bus park entrance and the bridge. I passed it this morning, looked like the stone memorial was 'removed' (to be put back later?) as it was fenced off from the rest of the works.

I don't really care if the put back the white 'gazebo' thingy. :(

kevin

Advertisement