Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New cat, just neutered

Options
  • 27-09-2010 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

I went to the DSPCA today and picked out a cat to bring home, she's about 1.5yrs and so lovely. She had one litter of kittens in the shelter and will be neutered tomorrow before I can take her home. I have all the beds scratching posts etc that I was advised to get, and she will obviously have stitches after the surgery. Has anyone got any advice or tips on how to make her more comfortable when I bring her home? I don't want to traumatise her anymore than she will be already after having surgery and then moving to a new house.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭MaryK666

Well done for taking on a rescue cat. I'm sure she'll give you lots of love and affection to thank you.

The best thing to do when she comes home is to make sure that she has somewhere warm, comfortable and safe to rest. If it's her first time in your house it's probably better to confine her to one room for the first few days so that she can get used to all the new smells, sounds and of course you. She will need to have a litter tray, bed and food and water bowls in with her but make sure that you put the litter tray well away from her eating area. She would probably benefit from having a cardboard box around too which is closed in but with a cat-sized hole cut in the side and a blanket inside so that she has somewhere small and dark to hide if she feels scared. If she has to wear a collar/lampshade then leave the box open on its side but turn it to face a wall leaving enough room for her to get her awkward collar in.
    It's also better to try and remove anything that she's likely to try and climb for the first few days too as she'll need to take it easy. Cat's seem to assume that they're fine post-op and can often open a wound by jumping around before they're ready.
    It would also be nice to have some little treats for her which will not only make her feel better but help you to bond with her. Things like smoked mackerel, tinned tuna or boiled chicken are usually well received and can be hand fed if necessary. Just don't let her bribe you into giving her too much :rolleyes:
    And if she's an approachable affectionate cat then loads of cuddles and little chats will go a long way to help her settle and keep her calm. Hopefully she'll be recovered before too long and it'll be like you've known each other forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Excellent advice above!

Give it space, I think is the main thing. When it feels secure it'll be more ready for petting & playing with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

If she's anything like our cat the entire world is about obtaining roast chicken!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I'll definitely second giving her just one room for the first 2 or 3 days, to get used to the new surroundings slowly. And make it a fairly quite room, but one where you can happily sit for a few hours with the cat, to keep it company.
    Most cats I know and have known will be scared the first few hours, but soon will set exploring if the surroundings feel comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭clicli

Well she's home now, asleep behind the curtains! She seems to be settling, stalking around the room for a bit and going back to her corner at the window. She ate the food I left out for her so I'm just going to let her settle in, no matter how much I want to give her a cuddle!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Pudding11

Keep an eye on her to make sure she doesnt try and take out the stitches. I also got our kittens in the DSPCA and the girl cat didnt go near her stitches while there so they didnt give me a plastic collar. As soon as she got home she went for them! Had to fashion one out of cardboard until the vet gave us one. Even then her brother somehow managed to help her out of it and after a few days there wasnt a stitch left! She was grand though! :D

She pulled her stitches out on Sunday night, only noticed on Monday morning. Brought her back to the DSPCA, they kept her for a few days as she had gotten an infection in the wound which needed to be treated. She came home yesterday wearing the cone of shame as it has been named! She's eating and drinking and has no problem taking her tablets but I think she's very frustrated with the cone and is also very lethargic. She'll let me pet her and scratch behind her ears where she can't reach but I'm a little bit concerned still. I'm going to call the DSPCA vet tomorrow to check up on her. Anyone have a similar experience? Any advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

clicli wrote: »
    She pulled her stitches out on Sunday night, only noticed on Monday morning. Brought her back to the DSPCA, they kept her for a few days as she had gotten an infection in the wound which needed to be treated. She came home yesterday wearing the cone of shame as it has been named! She's eating and drinking and has no problem taking her tablets but I think she's very frustrated with the cone and is also very lethargic. She'll let me pet her and scratch behind her ears where she can't reach but I'm a little bit concerned still. I'm going to call the DSPCA vet tomorrow to check up on her. Anyone have a similar experience? Any advice?

Hi Clicli,

Dont worry she will be fine but it takes a few days for cats to recover from the general anastethic. She will be groggy for a couple of days, by Tuesday she should be more active. Its important to keep her indoors while she has the cone, she has no peripheral vision while she is wearing it and very vulnerable.

The cone of shame looks awful, but it really is essential, after all you dont want her to pick out the stitches. Give her a few days, shes eating and drinking and taking her medication - thats great! It takes a while for the shaved fur to grow back though!

My female cat is neutered, she was pregnant when I got her, she had 4 beautiful kittens, all re-homed thankfully. That was 8 months ago. She has put on weight now, her fur grew back, and she is a very happy cat.

Well done for being responsible and neutering your cat!:D

Thanks Rockery Woman, she's hiding under the kitchen table and is not interested on coming out tonight, I'm keeping a close eye on her, it's hard not to be worried!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

clicli wrote: »
    Thanks Rockery Woman, she's hiding under the kitchen table and is not interested on coming out tonight, I'm keeping a close eye on her, it's hard not to be worried!

Aww, I really love my cats too. I know its worrying - definately talk to the vet tomorrow. Im sure she is scared because she can only see things head on because of the cone. Cats are skilled hunters with excellent senses - sight and hearing much better than humans, now she is disabled in a way. She probably feels safe hiding under the table. Maybe put her bed in there for the night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Hey Op, we recently adopted 2 1 year old cats from a shelter.

We've had them just over a month, but it took them a long time to get used to us. It had to be on their terms entirely. Don't harass them, and eventually curiousity gets the better of them! They're pretty good now, but they still are a little bit wary.They both will let us pet them, but they don't hop up on the sofa or anything with us yet...I'm sure that will come in time! They've one room that they seem to consider a "safe room", and although they do take trips around the house, it all comes back to the kitchen! Probably because it's the first room we kept them in when we got them.

She'll come round eventually - keep an eye on her though. And she'll get to know you entirely on her terms.Oh and keep her in for a few weeks, so she gets used to you and your house and knows it's her home too. Ours go out now, but they don't seem to go beyond the back garden.

Good luck!

Advertisement