Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How To Study

Options
  • 27-09-2010 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

I'm doing Omnibus Science and I sat down today in The James' Joyce Library to do my first bit of studying.

Then I got scared. I didn't know where to start/methods.

Can people offer me some help here, especially science people. Do you do it by different topics as subsets in modules. Do you use flash cards, or type your notes out. Do you have study groups?

What do you do?!

Please help, gotta get a start on this mofo.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

YouthNovel wrote: »
    I'm doing Omnibus Science and I sat down today in The James' Joyce Library to do my first bit of studying.

Then I got scared. I didn't know where to start/methods.

Can people offer me some help here, especially science people. Do you do it by different topics as subsets in modules. Do you use flash cards, or type your notes out. Do you have study groups?

What do you do?!

Please help, gotta get a start on this mofo.

It's only September, you freshers should be out getting plastered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Book. Pen. Paper. Read.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭YouthNovel

Not 18 for a few more weeks so I wanna get something done now before it all goes to pot.

But seriously... like for Biology, how are ya meant to know what in the book is what you need and what is irrelevant.

I'm getting Leeson street notes so I don't need to study.

Leeson street notes. LOLThey do UCD notes now! WIN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

1. Print and laminate your timetable.
    2. Organise your notes in separate folders.
    3. Print labels for your folders.
    4. Look on amazon for related books.
    5. Look on ebay for books.
    6. Look up science subjects on youtube, start with mythbusters clips.

All classed as study in my mind!

"But you're only in Science Omnibus, I mean it's not as if there's any point on studying, you know you're not gonna get anything out of it at the end of the day, it's just a hopeless cause, like Arts"
    - said one boardsie many moons ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

And this is the same lad who was complaining about gamesoc being too "gay"...

You're so witty. Please delight us some more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭MarcusFenix

Dr Aidan Moran (I think hes actually a lecturer in DCU) has a savage book about how to study, really good, you should get it now and it will help you all through college. Also check online for past papers, they never usually deviate from them too much. You can't really have that much to study by now anyway, can ya!?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Not 18 for a few more weeks so I wanna get something done now before it all goes to pot.

But seriously... like for Biology, how are ya meant to know what in the book is what you need and what is irrelevant.

For animal div and evolution you just really need to know the lecture slides, I learned them all the night before the exam and got a B+ in the exam itself, it's very crammable (I don't really condone that, but if you're desperate, fúck it).

But, if you really want to know your stuff, read through the lecture slides, then read the relevant pages in you notes, maybe jot down a few key points, and then read the lecture notes again, slightly more enlightened.

For maths, you just have to learn off definitions, and do examples.

Chem, it's just about learning theory, and practicing questions.

If you do any Comp Sci, you need to read the notes and code as much as you can, coding lots helps you get used to stuff.

Lastly, practice exam papers! You can know stuff really well but still not get the marks on the day if you don't practice the papers to some extent, you probably wont do that well. (Sounds very leaving certy, I know, but it will help you do better in terms of results, which isn't necessarily what college is about, but it's kinda what counts at the end of the day, especially if you want an internship at some stage during your degree).

"But you're only in Science Omnibus, I mean it's not as if there's any point on studying, you know you're not gonna get anything out of it at the end of the day, it's just a hopeless cause, like Arts"
    - said one boardsie many moons ago.

Loada me hoop

Loada me hoop
    nah, you'll learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Go with Aidan Moran's book. He is a psychology lecturer here in UCD and has the best memory I have ever witnessed. He remembers everybody's names and tiny details. So I would bet he has the upper hand o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

Don't know if they still make you do "Matrices and Vectors" and "Introduction to Calculus", but if they do, if you did higher level maths for your LC, then you'll do just fine by doing the homeworks well and going over them/doing them again before exams. If you did ordinary level and are struggling, the maths support centre is a great help. But in either case, as long as the homeworks aren't challenging you too much, you'll be fine just using them for studying.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Blacey

Dr Aidan Moran (I think hes actually a lecturer in DCU) has a savage book about how to study, really good, you should get it now and it will help you all through college. Also check online for past papers, they never usually deviate from them too much. You can't really have that much to study by now anyway, can ya!?:confused:

I second the Aidan Moran book - it's called "Managing Your Own Learning at University," and it's absolutely brilliant. Plus, it's written by an Irish person, familiar with the Irish education system, so that's another plus. Seriously, this book never left my side in my undergrad days.

Another one I found really helpful is "How to Study: Practical Tips for Students"
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Study-Practical-Tips-Students/dp/140510693X/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1286016373&sr=1-3-catcorr

It's well worth taking a couple of hours to read through books like these, and learn techniques for learning at university. If you go to a bookshop and ask where books like this are located, chances are you'll even find something relevant to studying science. Alternatively, you can find a bunch of this type of 'how to study' material in the library, just search the catalogue with "study skills" as a keyword and take it from there. The Aidan Moran book is at
    GEN 371.3/MOR and there are copies in JJL & Health Sciences - if you want to check it out before buying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭hatful

http://lifehacker.com/5638746/use-a-timer-as-a-productivity-booster-and-sanity-minder - I find this method very helpful. Just going to the library and sitting there without a plan or some kind of schedule is madness.

Advertisement