Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to go.....

Options
  • 27-09-2010 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Awrite boys and girls,

New to this wee town...
    Where do I go to have a good night* with my mates?

*NOT Harcourt Street!.. All I hear is Coppers, Dicey's, Coppers, Coppers....

There must be other joints?! :confused:

Quinns out in Drumcondra seems a decent spot for a scoop.

Also, what's the deal with most places being dead midweek other than the aforementioned establishements.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

In Dublin for young folks we have the following during the week "CHEAP DRINKS GET SMASHED LIKE!".

It depends on what you really want. Quinns is nice, I went there twice, nice place, good staff, not bad prices either actually.

Are you just wanting to get hammered and perhaps get lucky with a girl or actually planning on walking home and not puking till the sun rises?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Bhoywunder

In Dublin for young folks we have the following during the week "CHEAP DRINKS GET SMASHED LIKE!".

It depends on what you really want. Quinns is nice, I went there twice, nice place, good staff, not bad prices either actually.

Are you just wanting to get hammered and perhaps get lucky with a girl or actually planning on walking home and not puking till the sun rises?

Both :)

I need to build up a collection of places that covers all possible scenarios.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

Go McGowans in Phibsboro:D

Bhoywunder wrote: »
    Both :)

I need to build up a collection of places that covers all possible scenarios.

Very well. Let me begin. Go to Fibber's in Parnel street, place, not really any problems (unless you go on the uh... "dance floor" (where you can mosh and kill people at times)). It's very, very loud music and I advise you to go before 9:30pm to get a seat. Big, big smoking area, generally packed though, has an indoor section if I remember (though it could be just heated).
    Bouncers are nice and friendly, very handy if you get into trouble, they'll always listen to you, barstaff are good, the manager is usually around just incase. It's mostly rock/metal music though at times you will get the DJ playing some really random songs. The DJ might play your request, usually a toss up. Ask before 12am if you do.
    Another bad point is it can get pretty packed so... long time waiting for drinks at times.
    They do have a wonderful good side; free mixers (apart from tonic water). And they do have lower prices at times: http://www.fibbermagees.ie/main%20site/News&Events.html

Though they do not do mixed shots, such as a baby guiness, you have to pay for both drinks. If you want a double jack or something, they'll charge you six euro (3 euro per jack, assuming it's 3 euro drink night).

Oh and a good point again; I've never once seen a bouncer ever get violent with anyone, apart from one time when a guy was trying to stop the bouncer checking on a girl (she was basically passed out) and the bouncer turned around, pushed him slightly (it was very slightly) in the shoulder and warned him he's get thrown out.

Eh.. Q-bar isn't TOO bad, I went twice. First time about 11pm/12am, wasn't too bad. Second time, bad. Be very careful, they barstaff have no qualms about serving someone barely standing (learnt that myself) and the bouncers HAVE been known to be very violent.

Another place my friends swear by (I never went and won';t go) is bondi beach club on the quays. They like it. It is filled with a lot of scum from what I've heard, like Q-bar.

You could always just try an "old man's" pub. Most of those places are great, nothing like popping in for a few pints and chatting to a few people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Danye

Very well. Let me begin. Go to Fibber's in Parnel street, place, not really any problems (unless you go on the uh... "dance floor" (where you can mosh and kill people at times)). It's very, very loud music and I advise you to go before 9:30pm to get a seat. Big, big smoking area, generally packed though, has an indoor section if I remember (though it could be just heated).
    Bouncers are nice and friendly, very handy if you get into trouble, they'll always listen to you, barstaff are good, the manager is usually around just incase. It's mostly rock/metal music though at times you will get the DJ playing some really random songs. The DJ might play your request, usually a toss up. Ask before 12am if you do.
    Another bad point is it can get pretty packed so... long time waiting for drinks at times.
    They do have a wonderful good side; free mixers (apart from tonic water). And they do have lower prices at times: http://www.fibbermagees.ie/main%20site/News&Events.html

Though they do not do mixed shots, such as a baby guiness, you have to pay for both drinks. If you want a double jack or something, they'll charge you six euro (3 euro per jack, assuming it's 3 euro drink night).

Oh and a good point again; I've never once seen a bouncer ever get violent with anyone, apart from one time when a guy was trying to stop the bouncer checking on a girl (she was basically passed out) and the bouncer turned around, pushed him slightly (it was very slightly) in the shoulder and warned him he's get thrown out.

Eh.. Q-bar isn't TOO bad, I went twice. First time about 11pm/12am, wasn't too bad. Second time, bad. Be very careful, they barstaff have no qualms about serving someone barely standing (learnt that myself) and the bouncers HAVE been known to be very violent.

Another place my friends swear by (I never went and won';t go) is bondi beach club on the quays. They like it. It is filled with a lot of scum from what I've heard, like Q-bar.

You could always just try an "old man's" pub. Most of those places are great, nothing like popping in for a few pints and chatting to a few people.

Bondi is closed nearly a year now! You could also try Wrights out in swords, Alchemy in Temple Bar, SIN just off dame street, XX1'S on d'olier street beside Qbar.

• Advertisement

Danye wrote: »
    Bondi is closed nearly a year now! You could also try Wrights out in swords, Alchemy in Temple Bar, SIN just off dame street, XX1'S on d'olier street beside Qbar.

A year? Are you sure? Bondi on the Quays.

Wait now that I think about it... I haven;t heard much about it in the last while, that explains it.:o

Sin is good, I went in there once, not a bad place and I think they shut at 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

It depends what you're after really.

If you're interested in live gigs the Academy have middlish bands for around €20 a ticket while Whelans have smaller bands with tickets usually around a fiver. Both places have expensive drinks though as far as I remember.

Comedy clubs are a great night out as well, just check to see what the comedians are like that are preforming before you go.

Captain America's on Grafton Strret has live music and 3 euro all drinks on Monday-Wednesday.

Spy on South William Street can be good depending on the crowd. Sometimes its gay night or other nights its the weird sort of twatish indie night. Generally the bouncers let you look inside before making you pay.

a new night called 'Playground at Pod' has just launched as well and seems to have really good indie, rock and electronica if you're into that sort of thing.
    Danye wrote: »

Wrights is miles from Dublin. Unless you live out the Swords/Malahide direction
    or want to stay overnight it's awkward to get to.

Alchemy was great the one time I visited, great music, nicely busy but not over packed, no scumbags, no d4 heads, nice bouncers, cheap drink etc but apparently has become a spot for the "omg how he fock are you loike" brigade in the last few months.

XX1's is for kids, Nigerians and and sleazy Arabs. If you're older than 18 you're going to look out of place. It also plays absolute cheesy chart music at its best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Danye

It depends what you're after really.

If you're interested in live gigs the Academy have middlish bands for around €20 a ticket while Whelans have smaller bands with tickets usually around a fiver. Both places have expensive drinks though as far as I remember.

Comedy clubs are a great night out as well, just check to see what the comedians are like that are preforming before you go.

Captain America's on Grafton Strret has live music and 3 euro all drinks on Monday-Wednesday.

Spy on South William Street can be good depending on the crowd. Sometimes its gay night or other nights its the weird sort of twatish indie night. Generally the bouncers let you look inside before making you pay.

a new night called 'Playground at Pod' has just launched as well and seems to have really good indie, rock and electronica if you're into that sort of thing.

Wrights is miles from Dublin. Unless you live out the Swords/Malahide direction
    or want to stay overnight it's awkward to get to.

Alchemy was great the one time I visited, great music, nicely busy but not over packed, no scumbags, no d4 heads, nice bouncers, cheap drink etc but apparently has become a spot for the "omg how he fock are you loike" brigade in the last few months.

XX1's is for kids, Nigerians and and sleazy Arabs. If you're older than 18 you're going to look out of place. It also plays absolute cheesy chart music at its best.

I know wrights is a fair spin out, but as far as Im aware they have a bus that leaves from town and will bring you back later on. http://www.thewrightvenue.ie/transport-by-bus/

Was in alchemy a couple of times not a bad vibe to it but havent been there in a few months so maybe it has changed as you said.

As for XX1 ' s I would agree that its for kids as for the rest im not sure. I dont know the age of the OP so it might be suitable to him and the cheap drink offers also might appeal to them.

If your out on the pull go down the barcode then over for a Hillbillys afterwards hmmmmm chicken ....:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Woolshed on Parnell street for awesome beer and food and every sport imaginable. Bouncers are dead on as well.

Also the Church at the bottom of Henry street is also good. slightly older more mature clientele but really easy going atmosphere

• Advertisement

RedXIV wrote: »
    Woolshed on Parnell street for awesome beer and food and every sport imaginable. Bouncers are dead on as well.

Also the Church at the bottom of Henry street is also good. slightly older more mature clientele but really easy going atmosphere

Whats the Woolshed like when there is no match on???
    Women???:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:)

Oliver1985 wrote: »
    Whats the Woolshed like when there is no match on???
    Women???:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:)

Actually... it's not bad on a Thursday at all. Nice place to go till about 11ish then off to a club. The pints are fairly cheap.

Actually... it's not bad on a Thursday at all. Nice place to go till about 11ish then off to a club. The pints are fairly cheap.

Cool must check it out ive been in for matches before and had the food too!!!:cool:

Cool must check it out ive been in for matches before and had the food too!!!:cool:

Yeah I used to work in Cineworld and sometimes after work a few would pop in there. Even if there's no big match on (just a friendly or something simple) it doesn't be packed exactly but there does be a good few.
    Even about 12pm on a Saturday it's good.

Cool:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Bhoywunder

Cheers for all the advice. Plenty of places for me to get stuck into.

I'm in my twenties so i'll try and avoid the joints full of real young yins!

Any more suggestions fire them onto me.

Cheers for all the advice. Plenty of places for me to get stuck into.

I'm in my twenties so i'll try and avoid the joints full of real young yins!

Any more suggestions fire them onto me.

Fibber's caters for all ages if you like loud rock/metal music.

The Woolshed is a great place, all ages. It's not a "club" either. But it is treated like one slightly, lots of people, music (have no idea if there's a jukebox, I've seen a DJ a few times).

Places like 21s/Q-bar and so on... um yeah I don't think anyone should go there. Full of dolled up, fake tanned bimbos, shirts and jeans guys on the "pull".
    You'll be able to tell quickly what are places to avoid unless you're planning on getting hammered and have your hands on a 16 year old girl with plenty of make up. Or getting your head kicked in by about 10 kids about 16. :D
    Of course if that IS your scene... go for it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Been in the Palace twice in the last week and a bit, good spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Roro4Brit

The Globe / Ri Ra's - nice folks, fun music

The Dragon (gay bar but can be a good night out - but expensive though) - great pop music / funky disco depending on the night and good smoking area

Pygmalion / Spy / South William can be fun - can have some good tunes and a maturer crowd than the likes of Qbar etc Beside each Other for fun pub crawling

Sin E on the quays if you want some different music, pills and a mad night dancing. Always make new friends when I go there :P Just don't request Britney...

Dublin is great I think. Enjoy exploring !!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Roro4Brit wrote: »
    Spy

Over-priced sh*thole imo, plus the bouncers aren't the nicest lads in the world!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Roro4Brit

Over-priced sh*thole imo, plus the bouncers aren't the nicest lads in the world!

Ah it's not a sh!thule compared to a lot of places and prices are on par with all places in that area. I hve seen bouncers turn ppl away for no reason so I'll give you that, but I've never had trouble....I'm guessing you have :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Crawdaddy and Twisted Pepper are easily my favourite clubs in Dublin,, but you'd want to be into your electronic music.
    Go McGowans in Phibsboro
    There are some things you just shouldn't joke about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Also in my 20's so here's where i go in town:

crawdaddy/tripod/pod
    propaganda in the academy on a saturday
    pravda(now known as the grand social)
    howl at the moon
    palace
    whelans
    the village
    kehoes
    sheehans
    donaghues
    bleeding horse

I get dragged to coppers/diceys/flannerys too. no real problem with flannerys actually, can be good.

Theres a serious mix there from old man pubs to snotty bars so you'll find something you'll like!

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Bernard Shaw near Portobello, great spot. Good music, decent prices on beer (pitchers of beer or 2 cocktails for a tenner and the like), good smoking area with a pool table and theres the double decker bus that sells pizza. Only problem is it's not late opening but you can sometimes get concessions/free entry to the twisted pepper as its owned by the same people.

The Globe - good music and good crowd much better since they've stopped charging into RiRa's downstairs.

Grogan's - great for a quiet pint of guinness on a saturday or sunday during the day. No music. Food menu consists of toasted sandwiches and crisps. Has a mixed crowd where you could get anything from students to artists to pensioners.

Temple Bar (bar) - outrageous prices, I check my arse any time I've been there because you feel like you've just been raped everytime you buy a drink. €6 for a guinness:eek: but it can be good fun talking ****e to the american students and the like who wander in there on recommendation from the lonely planet.

Andrews Lane - wandered in there one Saturday night cos South William Street places were packed. It was good fun but was full of 18 year olds waving glow sticks full to the eyeballs with mephedrone (although this was while it was legal)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

Awrite boys and girls,

New to this wee town...
    Where do I go to have a good night* with my mates?

*NOT Harcourt Street!.. All I hear is Coppers, Dicey's, Coppers, Coppers....

There must be other joints?! :confused:

Quinns out in Drumcondra seems a decent spot for a scoop.

Also, what's the deal with most places being dead midweek other than the aforementioned establishements.

Go to the wright venue unreal spot then head into to temple from there in buskers or Bondi

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭dazey

I'd say crawdaddy/tripod/the pod, all part of the same complex and at the top of harcourt street. There's something nice about watching all the dicey's/copper's crowd fall into those places while we carry on!

Mcgowan's in Phibsboro is about 10E in a taxi from o'connell st but is well worth it. A pub that transforms itself into a nightclub later on brilliant.

Fitzsimon's/Howl at the moon are so big you lose people and Fibbers has really intense rawk music where you can't even have the craic, like people don't smile on the dancefloor

Old man pubs - explore all those little laneways off grafton street, abbey street and the like.

An old reliable is doyle's opposite trinity college. It is central if you want to go on somewhere else and has really good recognisable but not chart tunes on upstairs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

df1985 wrote: »
    Also in my 20's so here's where i go in town:

crawdaddy/tripod/pod
    propaganda in the academy on a saturday
    pravda(now known as the grand social)
    howl at the moon
    palace
    whelans
    the village
    kehoes
    sheehans
    donaghues
    bleeding horse

I get dragged to coppers/diceys/flannerys too. no real problem with flannerys actually, can be good.

Theres a serious mix there from old man pubs to snotty bars so you'll find something you'll like!

yep.. also,
    Toners,
    Anseo,
    Sub lounge,
    McDaids,
    bruxelles,
    Le Cirque is OK..,
    Dawson Lounge,
    Toast in rathmines,
    slatterys out grand canal st.
    School house pub

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Is Spy even still open? Their biggest nights (Gossip and War) have moved to Andrew's Lane.

+1 on the Bernard Shaw, great wee spot for a pint and game of pool. For midweek treats I'd usually head there on a Tuesday for a few cheap cocktails and then up to Crawdaddy for a dance :D

The Workman's Club on Wellington Quay is shaping up to be a great venue. I've only been to the club on Wednesdays, but have been in for drinks and gigs early and it's been really nice.

Advertisement