Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you do?

Options
  • 27-09-2010 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi all, just looking for some feedback.
    Am wiring an extension/granny flat. Its just an ensuite bedroom and kitchen/living room. A few sockets/lights, shower is just a pump shower, water heater and cooker. Am going to put a seperate fuseboard in this part of the house as there is no direct acess between main house and extension.
    Was thinking of running a 10square t+e from fuseboard in main house to my subboard, but fuseboard is at opposite end of house which makes the distance approx 30 mtrs. allowing for volt drop would you think 10square is ok size or would I need 16square or bigger.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

id go with a 16 to be on the safe side!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

agree there with maxamillius
    sure its as easy to run 16s as it is 10s
    and then all eventualities are covered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

16s anyhow

are they still doing the cheaper rate for granny flats-you may want to drop it the meter cabinet if so??

i don't know

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭twitch1984

Yeah was thinking 16 so everything is covered, just asking mainly because the family im doing it for arent very well of at the moment and 30mtrs 10sqr is cheaper than 30 mtrs 16sqr. I know there is probably not a lot in the difference but as there friends of mine I dont wanna have them spending excess if they dont have too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

not if you have to do it twice

• Advertisement

meercat wrote: »
    not if you have to do it twice

True, better spend it know not later.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

you'll need 16s/63A at the main DB as well-capacity can be an issue when you add on flats

we used to drop tails to meter cabinet for the granny flat and cheaper rate

dunno if that applys anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Alan.c

if you do your maths you will find out for sure what size cable you need
    get your regs an calculator out
    you never know it could save you money

Thanks for the replies lads. Change of plan, theyre putting in a seperate meter for the granny flat so standard 16 tails to meter box

Advertisement