Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia 2010... lookin for some advice

Options
  • 27-09-2010 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey everyone, im planning on going off to Australia for a year in April and wondering if anyone could help with a few things.

Firstly, I am irish, but currently living in Canada for a year.. I plan on applying for my visa from here! Has anyone applied for the visa outside of Ireland, and if so did you encounter any problems?

Im hoping to do 88days of farming to get the 2nd year visa.. has anyone done this? Whats the pay like? Is it in any way dodgy? Anywhere that would be best to do farming?

If I was to apply for my visa via USIT, will I be required by USIT to book my Australian flight through them??

On arrival to Canada do immigration actually ask for the statement to show funds? Not that I plan on goin over with no money, just wondering as I may not have the required amount when I plan on going over!

Thanks guys, any help will be much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

You dont need to use USIT at all all you have to do is got to https://www.ecom.immi.gov.au/visas/applyNow.do?form=WHM

Fill everything out and pay for your visa you should get conformation that your visa has been issued in about 24 hours. No need to use any 3rd party go straight to the Australian governments website.

If you have any questions regarding your eligibility for the visa they are all answered on the website and it is very easy to find information on: http://www.immi.gov.au

I assume that you meant to say on arrival in Australia instead of Canada. On arrival you may be asked to provide evidence that you have enough cash to support your stay here (They suggest having $5000 Australian) until you find work but to be honest I have never heard of anyone being asked to prove they have access to these funds.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 RelentlessJames

Lol sorry yes, by Canada I mean Australia!!

How much did people get their insurance for the year for? I know Usit currently have a deal, the visa and insurance for 400euro… my only issue with usit is that they usually have some way to rip people off!!

So that’s really my main concern with the visa itself.. I know ill need insurance, but I think insurance usually costs 400euro or so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

[
    Im hoping to do 88days of farming to get the 2nd year visa.. Is it in any way dodgy?

Chronically.

It is pretty poor form that legally you are meant to do it to stay, as its a very hit and miss poorly regulated sector ripe open to abuse by employers. Mnay lie about their farmwork and get away with it, but the DIAC do periodical clampdowns. If you choose to do the work best to have some mates who are already on a legit farm that can sort you. The Harvest Trail (the government info line) really isnt worth a sh1te, they just give vague general info about where the crops are coming into fruit.

Better yet, get construction work in a rural area- likely better paid and less open to employers shafting you (just make sure its the correct type of construction, think it only covers new structures or something?). Most of the country is horrendously boring but its a good way to save up.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

Lol sorry yes, by Canada I mean Australia!!

How much did people get their insurance for the year for? I know Usit currently have a deal, the visa and insurance for 400euro… my only issue with usit is that they usually have some way to rip people off!!

So that’s really my main concern with the visa itself.. I know ill need insurance, but I think insurance usually costs 400euro or so

stay clear of USIT there too expensive.I booked my flights here with Australian holidays and they gave me insurance for 150euro more...heres the link www.australianholidays.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

You can get the package usit offer about 100 euro cheaper doing it yourself. They were cheaper along with trail finders For the flight. That place above was asking crazy money For flights. Just shop around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

the WHV is 170 or 160 cant remember

you can get insurance from 130 - 400 i shopped round with loads of insurance companies and its simple:

you get what you pay for :D

i went with usit for whv and insurance for 399

i think usit used to rip everyone off but they seam to have copped on now and i got the best value from them, they throw in a SIM card, open a bank account and get you a tax file number, there free but handy to have them done for you to help sweeten the deal

Advertisement