Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build Help/Advice..

Options
  • 27-09-2010 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

1st post. Hope I'm in right forum. :)

Wee machine building up that I cant manage to get booting even to bios. System starts but no video feed etc. So no access to Bios menu.

System:

Abit IN9 32X-Max Motherboard
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 CPU
    4x1GB DDR2 667
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT

MB shows error code: A0.on LED MB display. Manual description for this code is:
    1. Disable PS/2 mouse interface (optional)
    2. Auto detect ports for keyboard & mouse followed by a port & interface swap (optional)
    3. Reset keyboard for Winbond 977 series Super I/O chips

I've updated/replaced Bios chip. Reset Cmos, Changed battery. Basic bootup with 1 stick of ram and graphics card. Still no joy.

Anyone any idea's?

Cheer's

Noel.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

OK, that's a bit of a problem... You've done most of the standard checks and have yielding nothing, but there are a few more to consider.
      Try another Graphics Card.
      Make sure the PSU isn't faulty and/or all connectors are fitted and fitted solidly.
      Try all your RAM sticks fitted into varying DIMM slots (one at a time).
      Plug out all devices (including keyboard and mouse) except those required for the POST.

Try those suggestions if nothing else works in the meantime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Korgm1

DECEiFER wrote: »
    OK, that's a bit of a problem... You've done most of the standard checks and have yielding nothing, but there are a few more to consider.
    • Try another Graphics Card.
    • Make sure the PSU isn't faulty and/or all connectors are fitted and fitted solidly.
    • Try all your RAM sticks fitted into varying DIMM slots (one at a time).
    • Plug out all devices (including keyboard and mouse) except those required for the POST.

Try those suggestions if nothing else works in the meantime.

Cheer's for that Deceifer. Tryed the ram swap thing before with no joy but I'll give the other options a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

I was dicking around with my mother's Desktop yesterday when I visited home. It used to be mine, it's an old Pentium 4 Prescott 3.2GHz with 2GB of DDR-400 RAM (two 2 x 512MB (1GB) kits). The board is an Abit AS8, so it has the LED readout on the bottom-left of the board, handy when there's a problem and the code is described in the manual, not so good when it isn't.

The thing was, I was asked to fix it since XP wouldn't boot due to a strange BSoD. There was no way around it. The error had something to do with the inability to mount the boot drive. I decided to start fresh and put Windows 7 on the PC. I took out the old 80GB drive and put in a spare 500GB I had lying around after backing up the data by putting her drive into my machine. I turned the thing on, and it would let out long beep - break - long beep - break...through the on-board audio (no PC speaker in the machine). The code AF was on the readout. I couldn't find any information on that code, only that others have experienced it and...well, nothing. I took out everything. Still nothing. I then took out the RAM sticks, one by one, and still nothing, until I took them all out completely. Got a different LED code, naturally (E0 or something, I believe). I put a stick back in, and bam, it worked. I thought that maybe one of the sticks was faulty, so I said I'd continue putting them back in one by one and it happened without experiencing the AF code again. All 4 sticks are now in the machine without any problems with the POST. I seriously don't know what the problem was and I probably never will. A simple solution to an unknown problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Korgm1

Update:

Tryed with 3 dif psu's. Same result. Tho two other psu's I tryed was P4 rather than the 8pin.

Installed all on a different MB...again, same result. Boots up but no display.

Would I be right in thinking this narrows it down to either the graphics card or the cpu? These are the only two parts I havent replaced as I've no spare's to test with. Fan on gpu powers up ok....:confused:

Advertisement