Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bell X1 Gig

Options
  • 27-09-2010 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has any tickets for the Bell X1 gig in the Set Theatre in Kilkenny on Friday November 12th that they would like to sell??

Its sold out...and I'm raging!! :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Don't be they're crap, even worse live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

If TV advertising is to be believed, (and I sincerely hope it is) you could improve your access prospects by drinking Berocca, and then applying your newly achieved perspicacity by mugging a waiter at the gig and taking his tuxedo, before entering the party in style. JUST like in the ad.

Or failing this you could drink Berocca and sprint in a race against a train to a relaxed business luncheon and drinks at Langton house hotel.

People who drink Berocca don't listen to Bell X-1 though. Or the B-52's or Jefferson Airplane or U2, Led Zepplin or any other aeronautically themed band.

They listen to Biosphere and stuff like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Potatofarl

Don't be they're crap, even worse live.

You're so wrong! I like them alot, have seen them twice live...third time lucky?? Heres hoping :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Potatofarl wrote: »
    You're so wrong! I like them alot, have seen them twice live...third time lucky?? Heres hoping :)
    I assure you, I'm not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 tipp1974

Oh you are very wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Davidian_ie

fabbydabby sure loves his electronica. Essential purchase, Gold Panda, 'Lucky Shiner' album. Thank me later.

I have to disagree with you there.

I feel that album is outstanding only in its mediocrity. It is typical of music composed by programmers and synth-whizzes as opposed to musicians. It is utterless soulless and totally lacking in creative depth. It is highly unsatisfying and predictible in arrangement, the minimal 'add and subtract' layering of the tracks scans like the workings of a dilettante in front of a sequencer, and while it shows some scope in terms of originality of composition, tracks soon become boring with the lack of development in any musical way other than the hackneyed addition and subtraction of layers as previously discussed.

Purists will cite the minimalist 'variation on a theme' mantra here to justify using slightly different patterns of the same boring loop for six minutes, but I call it laziness and lack of depth of musical understanding. Minimialism as an avante garde movement pioneered by the likes of Reich and Glass (who, by the way were themselves musicians) is a world away from this generic, trite, middle of the road, two-a-penny nonsense that is being pedaled to us by music journalists with stupid haircuts as 'relevant'.

Ireland probably has 500 kids in bedrooms on laptops who could create music of this calibre, and 99% of people couldn't tell the difference.

Perhaps I am getting old though. Maybe this is what all the hip youngsters are listening to and I am out of touch? These are just my opinions.

Boards of Canada are more up my street in this regard:

Wow very deep fabby. Have been listening to it for the last few weeks and find it soothing for my simple mind.Love Boards of Canada also and noticed the reference to them in your location.Great band but nothing released for a few years now sadly.That said, they are second for me to Kieran Hebdon/Four Tet.

Yeah Four tet is good alright. BOC are one of my favourite bands - their style is totally unmistakable. They have managed to create an extremely unique sound, their own distinct voice, and their music is complex and layered and beautiful.

Gold Panda and music like that , for me, is typical output from someone who spends their youth turing dials on a synth as opposed to playing scales on a piano.

Don't get me wrong, synths and software is equally as valid from a production point of view as notes, keys and scales but from the point of view of composition, these type of guys manage to create amazing sounds and effects, there is still something distinctly lacking, it's too clinical and computerey or something... it's lacking the soul that really makes it satisfying to listen to. They are first and foremost musical programmers.

But I have been known to miss the point entirely with stuff like this, and maybe that's the case with me and Gold Panda.. I have often tried hard and failed to like certain types of music... minimal house being another one that I have just given up on ... so I just resign myself to the fact that it's either complete shit and everyone who likes it is an imbecile, or that it's actually really good and I am just totally missing the point. The latter is probably the case in fairness.

Anyway the main point of this discussion that I think we can all agree on is that Bell End-1 are a turd sandwich.

Sounds like you are really into Boards of Canada.Their music is truly excellent and has proven to be timeless. The Campfire Headphase is a great starting point for anyone interested in listening to this kind of music. Couldn't recommend them enough.

I wouldn't be as deep into that music as you, prefer the beats and grooves of J Dilla, madlib, mf doom, and Flying Lotus.

As for bellend 1, can't respect them as they are musical plagiarists. Every time I hear one of their songs, the music sounds lifted from someone else. Maybe they are overly influenced by their favourite bands but creatively they fail for me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement