Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How did they avoid flare?

• 27-09-2010 8:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭

So, I was looking at today's Big Picture post and I came across this:

a14_25164423.jpg

How the hell did the photographer avoid flare? Every time I try something similar, I get horrible flare!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Most likely a polarised filter or an ND grad filter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭DougL

Paulw wrote: »
    Most likely a polarised filter or an ND grad filter.

Hmmm. I'm pretty sure an ND grad would only darken the flare, not eliminate it. A polarizing filter with remove some reflections, but not flare afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

But, there is some flare in the image.

Of course, they could always remove flare in PP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

It's just one of those lighting conditions, you can see a wee bit of flare coming from the bottom right of the sun, but there's enough haze in the sky to stop the rest of it flaring out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

The amount of flare produced is also very much dependent on the lens used. Do you know which is used here?

• Advertisement

oshead wrote: »
    The amount of flare produced is also very much dependent on the lens used. Do you know which is used here?

No idea, I wasn't able to pull any EXIF data from the JPG.

My understanding is that flare is actually reflections bouncing around between elements, so I would guess prime lenses would be better, since they have fewer elements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Probably something like a 24mm prime, the Canon version in the Mk2 is very good at controlling flare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

A lens hood might also help reduce flare

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Lens Hood will not assist too much when pointed directly towards the light source.

As pointed out by Paul there is flare there but it's not intrusive. It's probably a combination of many things. Lens with good flare properties, well positioned to place flare in unobrtusive places, etc.

I would also say that image is either using an ND Grad Filter or else it's Bracketed and exposures combined in PP. The longer exposures may have been sheilded to keep the front element in shade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I've done similar shots where I've had the camera on a tripod and used my hand (or an object) to shade the front of the lens from light coming in - so maybe they've used something to cast a shadow over the camera - so to minimise flare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Maybe they cropped the image and the flare went away, as one could do with this shot taken with a 28mm F2.

lensflare.jpg

I was just thinking that fine-tuning flare is a really good use for live-view mode, if you're lucky enough to have a camera that has that feature. I'm going to give it a try if the sun shines again before spring ;)

I'm considering buying a Canon 50mm f/1.4 prime. One review I read said, "It also shows the middle amount of flare - noticeably less than the f/1.8 and noticeably more than the f/1.2". Since I can't afford or justify the f/1.2....

Advertisement