Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ubuntu Software Store

Options
  • 27-09-2010 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

This is basically the story about Ubuntu having paid apps in the software centre and it will be the big thing in 10.10, but the problem is, at launch, there will be 1 thing in that store and it technically isn't an app, just audio and video codecs, what do you think about this, do you think they should just pull it out until a further release? or just wing it and have it get a lot of bad reviews?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I don't care what Canonical tries to sell, no more than I care what Apple or Microsoft try to sell.

So I could not care less what they have in their store. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭minion35

I don't care what Canonical tries to sell, no more than I care what Apple or Microsoft try to sell.

So I could not care less what they have in their store. ;)

Hear hear, at least people can associate Canonical's apps with quality, paying for software is never my cup of tea, if its not free and I can't see the code it doesn't intrest me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ecommerce website designer

I was also used to Ubuntu,now I personalized to kubuntu, I don't prefer buying softwares,just fixed to free ones which are available in software centre,.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

For now it's a DRM story.

Blame those who produce media which requires you to pay for a license to view content that you have paid for. If you own a DVD player then you've already paid for a licence to view this content. /RANT

Some people like the idea of buying software because they imagine the vendor can be held accountable. It's nice to have others subsidise open source.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

Some people like the idea of buying software because they imagine the vendor can be held accountable. It's nice to have others subsidise open source.
    Yeah, "some people", who never read the terms & conditions/EULA for the software they bought, do often think that! :p

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 141 ✭✭en.r4cart

Wish the price is acceptable .

Advertisement