Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pulled Pork

• 27-09-2010 8:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever made pulled pork at home? Have only seen it done once in the US, and that was with a smoker.

If anyone here has made with a gas oven or grill or hob, please let me know!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've done something similar with a char siu sauce in my slow cooker. There are lots of recipes on the web and the slow cooker seems to be the way to go because it keeps the meat nice and moist and you can leave it in there overnight, for 10-12 hours. Then you take it out, pull it and remove the fat etc and put it back in with a nice sauce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

This is my tried and tested, go-to recipe - and it is absolutely divine.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/pulled-pork-sandwiches-with-homemade-bbq-sauce-recipe/index.html

I dont ever use that BBQ sauce though, I use this one: http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/T-G-I-Fridays-Jack-Daniels-Grill-Glaze-Recipe.html

And I get the meat in Fallon & Byrne. Oh I'm starved now just thinking about it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Anyone ever made pulled pork at home? Have only seen it done once in the US, and that was with a smoker.

It's next on my list to do with my smoker - it takes 14 hours to smoke! A slow cooker will approximate the cooking but not the smoking, and I have'nt had much success on the BBQ with this kind of thing as temperature control is very difficult. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭emaleth

Made it last weekend, oddly enough.

I don't have a smoker, so it was the biggest Le Creuset casserole for me. I used shoulder of pork from F&B (no particular reason, I just saw it while on a cheese hunt and wanted it) with the skin off and fat on. Dry rub overnight in the fridge, then about seven hours at 120 with a cup of vinegar, a decent splosh of bourbon, salt, black pepper and water. Came out perfectly textured, but it doesn't have the smoky flavour, of course. I hadn't the energy to make home-made barbecue sauce so I used Jack Daniels to moisten the sandwiches. I got loads out of a 1.5kg piece so there's plenty in the freezer.

I'll be investing in a slow cooker shortly, and that's what my (cooks for a living South Carolina native) father in law uses.

Also - go Mets, Sox suck (please do not mention current performance, thank you) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Thanks for all the suggestions-looking forward to giving it a go.
    emaleth wrote:
    Dry rub overnight in the fridge

What's involved here now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭emaleth

Thanks for all the suggestions-looking forward to giving it a go.

What's involved here now?

It was salt, pepper, smoked paprika, dark brown sugar and cayenne, patted all over the meat and left overnight in the fridge. Even quantities of everything bar the cayenne - a teaspoon will do you of that, and a couple of tablespoons of everything else. Don't use table salt, use rock salt or something similarly large-grained.

The next day, when you're ready to cook, take it out of the dish. It'll be sitting in a pool of liquid - this is drawn out of the meat by the salt in the dry rub. Just chuck it in the casserole/slow cooker/whatever at this juncture, add your liquids and into the oven with it. Ignore until hungry :D

Oh, and about the liquids - I used bourbon because I had loads, but you don't have to. Orange juice or beer would do just fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

emaleth wrote: »
    The next day, when you're ready to cook, take it out of the dish. It'll be sitting in a pool of liquid - this is drawn out of the meat by the salt in the dry rub. Just chuck it in the casserole/slow cooker/whatever at this juncture, add your liquids and into the oven with it. Ignore until hungry :D
    Discard the liquid in the dish from the fridge, or use it as a cooking liquid?
    emaleth wrote: »
    I'll be investing in a slow cooker shortly, and that's what my (cooks for a living South Carolina native) father in law uses.
    Please post that recipe, I wouldn't mind giving that a try!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I made it today! I used emaleth's rub and left it on overnight, then put it into the slow cooker this morning with about a cupful of Carlsberg and left it for 10 hours. When I pulled it apart I reheated it in Jack Daniels honey barbecue sauce (I bought a jar) .

We had it on floury baps with sliced tomato, red onion and mayo and it was amazing!!!

My pork is now sitting in the fridge, coated in a rub made from salt, paprika, chilli powder, freshly ground cumin and black pepper, a little cayanne and a little garam marsala. I figure, let it sit till wednesday morning then into the slow cooker in the morning around 0800 with some molasses, some coke, some water and maybe some cider vinegar, let it cook all day, then pull it, mix it back in with some bbq sauce and serve...

Well, the molasses had a best-before date of 2007 so it sat this round out in the bin :o

The pork is now in the slow cooker, sitting on a sliced onion and some garlic, and covered in another sliced onion and more garlic, along with two cups of coke, three quarters of a cup of cider and white wine vinegar, some bbq sauce, some tomato puree, some thyme, some jalapeno pickle juice and some honey.

Roll on 1900...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I don't know if it is still around but Ainsley Harriot did a BBQ smoke flavour mister.
    Very handy to impart a bit of smoked taste to food that isn't smoked properly.
    Not a real substitute for real smoking but not bad for a smoky taste.

Got home, took the pork out from the cooking liquid - and it promptly fell to pieces. Good sign :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=130131&stc=1&d=1286394162

Out with the forks and the pork pulls apart easily. A few small bits of fat, not many, easy to pick out and discard.

attachment.php?attachmentid=130132&stc=1&d=1286394162

Then mix some BBQ sauce, white wine vinegar, honey and tomato puree for a simple sauce in the slow cooker (set to high).

attachment.php?attachmentid=130133&stc=1&d=1286394162

And then all the pork goes back into the sauce to warm through...

attachment.php?attachmentid=130135&stc=1&d=1286394162

And after it's warmed through, into a nice fresh bit of bread and served with some pickles.

attachment.php?attachmentid=130136&stc=1&d=1286394162

God damn, but that's good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Man Vs Food!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

The first pic scared me , it looks like an aliens head :eek:

end product looks yummy,
    gonna have to get me to a butchers and give it a go

After my third sandwich of the stuff (used kaiser rolls for the second and third so they were small), I'm thinking that it could stand to have some coleslaw on the side.
    But apart from that, it's just brilliant.

And it's even better the next day as a sandwich with coleslaw for lunch in the office... nyom, nyom. Now I know why the normal recipes for this from the US use an entire 8-pound pork shoulder...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

I have no shame bumping this thread, I'm going to the butchers :)

I have no shame bumping this thread, I'm going to the butchers :)

The OP followed up with a Pulled Pork megathread in the Cooking Club that's still running, so I'll close this and you can join that one :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement