Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know anything about this statue ?

Options
  • 27-09-2010 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭

This statue outside the fire station has been bugging me for a while now. I pass it nearly every day and every time it catches my eye, but haven't a clue what it stands for or what it is suppose to represent. There is no inscription on it and it doesn't really look like anything. Would love to know something about it if anyone knows. Apologise for quality, take with the phone.

CD6EC60503874CB191B553CFF2590F06-0000324460-0001943612-00800L-4386B8294B7543A7ABC313AA7591D40A.jpg

Comments

It looks like a man with his arms stretched over his head to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

It looks like a man with his arms stretched over his head to me.

That's what I see too. More like a big yawn. Maybe his missus makes him watch X Factor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Looks like a gun sight to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 darksharkster

Passed this statue almost every day for about 9 years.

Quote: "Arousing considerable interest was the Figure of Panic, standing on a pedestal near the station entrance. An example of the modern school of sculpture. It is intended to represent a human clutching the edge of a roof awaiting rescue. It is doubtful if many of the general public would put this interpretation on the object which stands about five feet in height and does not in the least look like a human hanging from a roof."

From: http://places.galwaylibrary.ie/history/chapter96.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It is doubtful if many of the general public would put this interpretation on the object which stands about five feet in height and does not in the least look like a human hanging from a roof.

happy0199.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭DanielI

The Holy Stone of Clonrichert?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

You could put a traffic cone on top and call it 'Saturday Night'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

this is at the side of the firestation is it?call in and ask them maybe?

Advertisement