Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This new LMA scheme...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Danye

I applied for it and havent heard a thing! :rolleyes:

But that still hasnt stopped me attending the college. I attended for the first time last week and had to sign my name and tick a box to say that the registration or whatever would be looked after via this LMA scheme.

It does sound like a right mess do! An idea that was rushed by the powers that be to make it look as if something was being done about the unemployment problems and have unemployed people re-educated without anyone knowing how to go about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Im on a course and was posted out the offer after starting. Now Im waiting to be registered to apply for BTEA

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Right, as stated this is still a hot mess but it seems to me that:
    • You have to send in a BTEA form
    • You will not be getting BTEA
    • You do get to keep your existing benefits (eg Job seekers, rent allowance etc)
    • You do not get any additional money like travel or lunch allowance or book allowance)
    • Your fees will be paid for you

This is all the info I've been able to gather so far. The whole thing was a rush job with the main item being sort being the amount the LMA fund would have. How it would be set up and run was an after thought so things may change.
    I was told to expect a letter within the next 1 to 2 weeks, to continue to go to classes, to continue to collect dole and sign on as normal until told differently. *searches for confused emoticon*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

I got my letter of acceptance today for the course, still have to sort out things with BTEA though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭pieface_ie

Im not personally on the LMA but i heard one of the lecturers saying to one of the lads that the college only got a weeks notice about the LMA and hence wasn't prepared for it.

• Advertisement

pieface_ie wrote: »
    Im not personally on the LMA but i heard one of the lecturers saying to one of the lads that the college only got a weeks notice about the LMA and hence wasn't prepared for it.

A week? He should be so luck! I got a call for one coarse on the Friday to start on the Monday and a call from another on Monday after noon to start on THAT Monday morning!

iamstop wrote: »
    • You have to send in a BTEA form
    • You will not be getting BTEA

If thats true im fooked. My dole isn't enough to cover going up and down to Dublin as its not the full 194.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    If thats true im fooked. My dole isn't enough to cover going up and down to Dublin as its not the full 194.

It says on the main part of the upskill page http://www.dit.ie/upskill/

upskilllma.jpg

100% funding and keep your jobseekers allowance/benefits. We should still get it, if not, I'll have to ask Bob O Mhurcu or someone whats happening with it.

I'm hoping the bit at the bottom about qualifying for BTEA covers me. I do qualify for it and it would be more than my allowance...

Right well I do NOT qualify for BTEA so after nearly 3 weeks I'm going to have to stop doing the course. My reason for now having enough days on the the dole to qualify?
    Last year Idecided not to wait for a year on the dole (which I was advised to do) and instead paid for myself through college. I ended up in debt. Then I heard of this LMA and thought it would allow me to return.
    But no. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Danye

Just to let you guys know that I also recieved a letter today to confirm I have been accepted / offered a place on my chosen course throught the LMA.

iamstop wrote: »
    Right well I do NOT qualify for BTEA so after nearly 3 weeks I'm going to have to stop doing the course. My reason for now having enough days on the the dole to qualify?
    Last year Idecided not to wait for a year on the dole (which I was advised to do) and instead paid for myself through college. I ended up in debt. Then I heard of this LMA and thought it would allow me to return.
    But no. :mad:

I wrote an appeal letter and I guess I got my point across because they allowed me to keep my welfare payments and still go to college. Letters work...sometimes.

Just got the letter back from SW and I got my BTEA! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

I am just finishing an LMA course (WIT) - sounds like they still haven't got it sorted.
    Some of the people on our course (about 50% were LMA - they other were paying big €€ for it :D:D) had no end of hassle with SW - seems like nobody ever officially told SW and so they kept on getting pissed at me for not signing on on the Tuesday every month - even though I explained I had class all day Tuesday....

One twat kept on reminding me that I was supposed to be looking for work and that if some came up I was to drop the course and take the job no matter how deep into the course I was ---- oh yeah? They didn't give me serious hassle about it though.
    One girl kept on getting her dole delayed cos she hadn't signed or couldn't get back in time after class to sign on each week (she was on JB)

One guy from Dundalk had to drive back there every week to sign on....

Worked out well for quite a few though - one guy has 2 job offers - and just turned down an interview with a big pharma crowd - most have jobs or interviews.

Good luck with it! Hope I have my cushy job before you guys graduate!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭managerman

i got an evening course in dit doing electrical services engineering, starts this week, not sure what days im doing yet, anyone else doing this? or anything similar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭pieface_ie

i got an evening course in dit doing electrical services engineering, starts this week, not sure what days im doing yet, anyone else doing this? or anything similar?

Im on that full time. There is an option to go on into Electrical Engineering after year 3 of Elec Services Eng by doing the final 2 years in E.E which is what im going to do.

Overall its ok, if your a sparks which i guess you are you will fly through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭managerman

pieface_ie wrote: »
    Im on that full time. There is an option to go on into Electrical Engineering after year 3 of Elec Services Eng by doing the final 2 years in E.E which is what im going to do.

Overall its ok, if your a sparks which i guess you are you will fly through it.

yea im a sparks alright, got an email this morning, starting next week now, mon-tue and thurs..

yea im gonna try and do the same thing as you.. looking forward to it now

Advertisement