Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sore A$$...

• 27-09-2010 9:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

Evening all,
    I'll spare you the details, suffice to say my a$$ has been in bits ever since I did the Leinster Loop... like really sore, not just bone pain but like a burning sensation too... :( sorry, TMI I know....
    I'm thinking about changing saddle (currently using the Felt saddle that came with the bike) and I'm gonna buy some chamois cream but I was wondering if anyone else has had similar issues and has any suggestions...?
    Thanks...!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

When i bought my last bike about a month ago the owner of the shop was also sellin these gel seat covers which might help, similar to this (if not the same ones):http://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/sport-direct-bicyle-gel-saddle-cover/727344010.prd

the ones he was selling were 20squids and one size fits all as far as i could see.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Take a few minutes and either slide the saddle forward, go for a spin, see how it pans out, if not good, slide it backwards a few mm's etc. Height is also an issue. Don't give up. Most saddles these days are OK.

I have two Specialized Toupes, one on my race bike and one on my commuter. Race bike is perfect. 18 races or so last year. Didn't even know it was there, type of cliche.

Commute / winter trainer gave me trouble last year ending up in a small boil on my butt. Big problem. Pushed it forward a tad and found that my "sit bones" were more on the "flat" seating area. Seems to have sorted the problem out.
    Check the tilt also. Has to be level. Is the frame the right size? Are you leaning too much forward? Are you catching the "nose" of the saddle causing irritation/ friction? Is it too high?
    Loads of permutations.

Or, have you done enough miles on the saddle? As the Joe on the street would say, "How do you sit on a razor blade like that?"

Fender76 wrote: »
    Evening all,
    I'll spare you the details, suffice to say my a$$ has been in bits ever since I did the Leinster Loop... like really sore, not just bone pain but like a burning sensation too... :( sorry, TMI I know....
    I'm thinking about changing saddle (currently using the Felt saddle that came with the bike) and I'm gonna buy some chamois cream but I was wondering if anyone else has had similar issues and has any suggestions...?
    Thanks...!

You weren't drinking in "The George" the night before I take it? :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

Planet X wrote: »
    You weren't drinking in "The George" the night before I take it? :D:D

Less funny and more offensive!

I'm trying to smile my way out of The Recession.
    Lighten up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Evening all,
    Thanks...!

How long have you been cycling?
    How often do you cycle?
    What is the longest spin you have done?
    What is you average time on the bike?
    Do you wear padded shorts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Fender76

How long have you been cycling? This time round, 2 months..
    How often do you cycle? Usually 30-40k
    What is the longest spin you have done? 120k Leinster Loop
    What is you average time on the bike? Roughly 1-2 hrs
    Do you wear padded shorts? Yes..

This is the razor blade in question... http://www.adroitdesigners.com/ebay/felt_saddle_1.jpg

Looks like a decent perch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Mr Velo wrote: »

The French don't use this stuff at all. I had to cycle 150km a day for a week without it and I was grand. When I asked in one decathlon store for it the rude biotch laughed at me. I'd be looking at saddle position myself.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

This is the razor blade in question... http://www.adroitdesigners.com/ebay/felt_saddle_1.jpg

Use the same saddle myself without problems.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Here's Sheldon Brown's take on saddles.
    FWIW, I had 'issues' with my old saddle, and changing to a Terry Fly sorted them. YMMV.
    Also, I see that WheelWorx in Fonthill have one of those try before you buy deals: there is a display stand at left of the shop, halfway back, might be worth a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

What is you average time on the bike? Roughly 1-2 hrs
    Do you wear padded shorts? Yes..
    It could be just that you have jump from 40k to 120k hasn't give your arse the time to get used to sitting in a saddle for that length. The rule of thumb is to increase the time by 5-10% per week (I think)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

get yourself a brooksb17 problem solved;)

Sounds like the problem is not the saddle, but the thing perched on it: from the Sheldon Brown article I quoted above:

If you are coming off of a layoff of months or years, start with very short rides, maybe a mile or two, no more. Only gradually should you increase your ride distance. This may seem frustrating, but it does take a while to re-accustom your derrière to cycling. Anybody in decent shape can hop on a bike and ride 15-20 miles, but you'll be a wreck afterwards if you haven't accustomed your body to cycling first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Fender76

That sounds about right rp... maybe my derierre needs a bit more time in the saddle.. I guess its like a guitarists fingertips... no pain, no gain...!

I guess its like a guitarists fingertips... no pain, no gain...!
    Fender '76 - 3-bolt neck? There's your problem, right off...

The French don't use this stuff at all. I had to cycle 150km a day for a week without it and I was grand. When I asked in one decathlon store for it the rude biotch laughed at me. I'd be looking at saddle position myself.

I remember chatting to one of the Irish lads who completed their round the world cycle trip recently. Mentioned how I used chamois cream on my Malin - Mizen trip. He mentioned how he didn't bother with it on his world trip. My I felt like a wuss.

Still, it's good stuff.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Dónal wrote: »
    I remember chatting to one of the Irish lads who completed their round the world cycle trip recently. Mentioned how I used chamois cream on my Malin - Mizen trip. He mentioned how he didn't bother with it on his world trip. My I felt like a wuss.

Still, it's good stuff.

I still prefer to use it, especially Assos. Is it wrong that I like the feeling?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

At the start of this year I put a hard race saddle on my beater. Since then I have cycled 200km sportives, 10 day tour of Wales, mtbing etc etc and haven't had any issues, nor have I used any creams or used padded shorts (except for the sportives... must have some level of euro). Basically having such a hard saddle for short spins/commute etc makes all others seem soft and works a treat for me. That said I have been cycling for a while now so had a level built up already.
    While I'm on the topic I have used numerous saddles of differing shape and desgn all without issue bar adjusting their position if they didnt feel right.
    Hope this helps....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LastGasp

get yourself a brooksb17 problem solved;)
    I put a B17 on my bike last March, since when I've done about 2500kms on it. It's been fairly comfortable, but it's only started to really take my arse shape in the last two weeks !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

LastGasp wrote: »
    I put a B17 on my bike last March, since when I've done about 2500kms on it. It's been fairly comfortable, but it's only started to really take my arse shape in the last two weeks !

ass groove ?
    A depression in the cushion of a couch or chair formed by many hours of sitting. First known usage by Homer Simpson.

Don't sit in my ass groove! You'll mess it up.
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Dónal wrote: »

It can depend on the shorts you use. Most of mine are fine, but my club gear shorts (Nalini) are terrible to cycle in without chamois cream.

Advertisement