Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any update on the doolin harbour proposal?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

CRenegade wrote: »
    Sorry Spacehopper - its hard to keep everything going at once. There is a facebook page just after been setup last night to gather support, if you click on my facebook page or Emerald Surfwear FB page you will find the link.

Yes, no foreshore licence applied yet but that will be coming and we will be making a substantial submission.

The WCSC are keeping this going, we will continue to fight to save the waves. A lot of work is being undertaken behind the scenes since the decision and we will continue until its resolved.

I will make a substantial post on my own site within the next 24 hours of the current situation. As you can imagine, keeping up to date with facebook, Boards.ie, magicseaweed, surfaroundireland.com, etc. and working on our submissions takes time. :)

let me know if there is a specific line of work you may be able to help with.

Appreciate the support for this guys, and stick with us as we are sticking with the cause.

Good to see the support is still there and hasn't died away.

Seemed to me that a lot of people were hopping on the bandwagon and savign the waves just to be seen to do it.

Will these people now been seen protesting when the diggers come in. Paddling out to get in the way? Chaining themselves to diggers. I hope so

Because so many have talked the talked and now they will have to walk the walk.

Anyway it shouldn't be a problem as many surfers in Clare are on the dole and should have time to do it.

But the question is if there are waves elsewhere on the day the diggers come in will they be there to protest??

I hope there is more to this than just internet protesting and try to be seen to be doing something

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Sorry Spacehopper - its hard to keep everything going at once. There is a facebook page just after been setup last night to gather support, if you click on my facebook page or Emerald Surfwear FB page you will find the link.

Yes, no foreshore licence applied yet but that will be coming and we will be making a substantial submission.

The WCSC are keeping this going, we will continue to fight to save the waves. A lot of work is being undertaken behind the scenes since the decision and we will continue until its resolved.

I will make a substantial post on my own site within the next 24 hours of the current situation. As you can imagine, keeping up to date with facebook, Boards.ie, magicseaweed, surfaroundireland.com, etc. and working on our submissions takes time. :)

let me know if there is a specific line of work you may be able to help with.

Appreciate the support for this guys, and stick with us as we are sticking with the cause.

I'm a member of the FB page set up to save doolin, crab island, I know everybody is working hard but updates are sprodaice at best. Pick one site and keep that going forget the rest to it. Can't acces FB in work but will look later at home good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Spacehopper me thinks its about time you paddled out and forgot about the beating you took off the point:eek:

If you don't take a chance now you may lose the opportunity to surf her forever:(

And just remember, crab like other breaks has its good days and bad, sometimes its a real nasty bastard, while others its just a joy to be out:D

rodento wrote: »
    Spacehopper me thinks its about time you paddled out and forgot about the beating you took off the point:eek:

If you don't take a chance now you may lose the opportunity to surf her forever:(

And just remember, crab like other breaks has its good days and bad, sometimes its a real nasty bastard, while others its just a joy to be out:D

A sure it was nothing just bouned off the reef twice, still get twinges in my shoulder blade from it but if I ever have kids I'd like them to be able to surf it and if we let these two go then sure what about x,y,z....

Oh and I still haven't fixed the board yet, three nice big dings the last time I looked nothing some resine won't fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭CRenegade

I'm a member of the FB page set up to save doolin, crab island, I know everybody is working hard but updates are sprodaice at best. Pick one site and keep that going forget the rest to it. Can't acces FB in work but will look later at home good luck

A new page was set up by Emerald surfwear. I know there was another one but this is the new one now. Emerald guys have said they will commit a lot of time to promoting the page - something we dont have as much time for as we doing the submission work so it is a good thing and they are getting high profile surfers from across the water. Link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

Guys, while the WCSC are doing brilliant work on this, and have been doing so for over a year, pressure needs to come from every angle. The WCSC and ISA will continue to be a reasoned angle in terms of communication with CCC, ABP, DoELH etc as it is vital that some form of coordinated and reasonable representation of surfers interests remains. There are however some issues that cannot be discussed across open forums etc in terms of the future plans. Without sounding exclusionary, if people want to really get involved, get in touch with their local club or the WCSC / ISA. This is too important an issue to be openly discussed in the anonymous openness of the web, without responsibility etc. There is a lot happening in the background

However, as noted above, pressure should now start coming from all quarters as it will seem better than just one local interest group moaning. Get involved with your local club and get letters of protest in, address concerns to the County Manager - he is pushing this. Ask him for a response as to why the surfers concerns are being ignored and why proper modelling was not carried out, even after the flows were pointed out SIX MONTHS AGO.

There is better solutions for the problem out there and the WCSC / ISA still support the requirement for a new pier, but just not one that damages the waves and makes the access potentially lethal. It is difficult to see how we can remain as reasonable for too much longer with Crab and Doolin Point potentially at stake.

A new page was set up by Emerald surfwear. I know there was another one but this is the new one now. Emerald guys have said they will commit a lot of time to promoting the page - something we dont have as much time for as we doing the submission work so it is a good thing and they are getting high profile surfers from across the water. Link

Emerald are only doing that to get publicity. These are the fellas who were on Fade Street for god sake.

They are exactly what is wrong with surfing.

They are not doing it to protect this great wave. They are doing it to sell products. I think people shouldn't go near that FB page

NickDrake wrote: »
    Emerald are only doing that to get publicity. These are the fellas who were on Fade Street for god sake.

They are exactly what is wrong with surfing.

They are not doing it to protect this great wave. They are doing it to sell products. I think people shouldn't go near that FB page

May or may not be so, I wont speculate on it but that page is there now and has some info. Yes it would have helped a few weeks ago before the councilors voted but what can ya do.

They are promoting it so thats that situation, We (WCSC & ISA) are carrying on with our submissions - a great deal of heavy work still to be done. That FB page wont hinder but as long as it stays clean, fair and non abusive.

The faith of the waves will inevitably lie in how our next submissions on the Foreshore Licence application, etc. will be received by the Department.

May or may not be so, I wont speculate on it but that page is there now and has some info. Yes it would have helped a few weeks ago before the councilors voted but what can ya do.

They are promoting it so thats that situation, We (WCSC & ISA) are carrying on with our submissions - a great deal of heavy work still to be done. That FB page wont hinder but as long as it stays clean, fair and non abusive.

The faith of the waves will inevitably lie in how our next submissions on the Foreshore Licence application, etc. will be received by the Department.

Well done and keep up the good work. Great to hear that ye are so focused.

Regarding Emerald, I jsut don't trust those guys and what they do. Just look at fade street for example. It was disgraceful.

They are mad for publicity and try anything. I just don't think they are doing it for the wave.

I would advise people serious about protecting Crab and the point should stay away from the FB and the Emerald publicity stunt.

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Rob001

Does anyone know seeing as the burren is considered important geologically, environmentally and large areas considered SAC's (special area of conservation) and NHS's. On the geological survey web site Submerged caves at doolin point as an SAC are even mentioned. Should environmental impact assessment be available from planning authority? I'm aware that SAC's and NHS's are constantly ignored by planning offices in Ireland.:confused:

• Advertisement

Better of keeping options offline as old guy rules says, anyone can read this

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Regarding Emerald, I jsut don't trust those guys and what they do. Just look at fade street for example. It was disgraceful.

you should meet one of them sometime and have a chat and see if you feel the same way afterwards

PeakOutput wrote: »
    you should meet one of them sometime and have a chat and see if you feel the same way afterwards

So it is 100% not for publicity?? They are in no way trying to gain anything from this??

After the whole Fade Street D4 carry on I just don't think people can take them seriously on this.

I could be wrong but I don't think everyone is happy about them sticking the brand in on the protest. That's the word around anyway.

Emerald have rowed in behind the the current publicity drive, they have the ability to reach a large audience.

However, you would be very surprised by how much the individuals involved have helped in the background over the past several months. As they are part of the Irish surf industry, they have a stake in this, plus the guys involved regularly surf the waves there. Of course they are a commercial company with very strong links to Clare, it would be more of a surprise if they were not involved in some way.

It is a pity that people behind an anonymous login come along and attack an Irish company involved in the surf industry. Nickdrake, I do not know who you are, but have you had any involvement in this issue to date? Are you in any way assisting the ISA / WCSC or any other groups or any other way in defending these waves?

Nickdrake, I do not know who you are, but have you had any involvement in this issue to date? Are you in any way assisting the ISA / WCSC or any other groups or any other way in defending these waves?

OldGuy, save your breath, all he'd done in his last few post it try to pick a fight, ignore the fool.

OldGuy, save your breath, all he'd done in his last few post it try to pick a fight, ignore the fool.

Where am I trying to pick a fight exactly??

Thanks for the email above Old Guy. It clears things up. Well done to Emerald for getting invoved and it seems to be for the good of the wave.

I was just highlighting the fact that some people were commenting on their involvement. If it is not for sales and publicity as you said then well done to Emerald for getting involved.

Thats all I wanted to know.

The main thing here is protecting the wave.

Cheers

Where am I trying to pick a fight exactly??
    Cheers
    NickDrake wrote:
    Seemed to me that a lot of people were hopping on the bandwagon and savign the waves just to be seen to do it.
    NickDrake wrote:

PS sad a f for watching it

Spacehopper did you ever get tried of winding people up:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Piece on RTE Radio 1! ... Right Now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Barrak

Here is a link to what was on "Countrywide" on RTE radio one this morning
    http://www.rte.ie/radio1/countrywide/

Fast forward to approx 25mins into show

Last chance, get those objections in:(

Notice is hereby given pursuant to Section 19 of the Foreshore Act, 1933 that Clare County Council, New Road, Ennis, Co. Clare, has applied to Mr. Phil Hogan T.D., Minister for the Environment, Heritage and Local Government for permission to occupy an area of foreshore at Doolin, Co. Clare for the purpose of constructing an access road, pier structure, revetment protection to the pier structure and associated dredging works at Doolin Pier, Doolin, Co. Clare.
    Any person who wishes to make an objection to, or a representation in respect of, the grant of the permission sought should do so, giving their reasons in writing, to:
    The Foreshore Unit, Department of the Environment, Heritage and Local Government, Newtown Road, Wexford within 21 days of publication of this notice. (Ref: MS 51/11/234)
    All objections and representations received will be forwarded to the applicant for comment prior to any decision being made in the matter.
    A copy of the application form, map, site plan, drawings of the area and other supporting project documentation may be inspected at both Ennistymon Garda Station, Ennistymon, Co. Clare and Lisdoonvarna Garda Station, Lisdoonvarna, Co. Clare.

Below are the details (address, dates, info) which are needed when submitting a submission on the Foreshore Lease application made by Clare Co. Co. to the Department of the Environment. Read the text below and we would urge as many people who have an interest in surfing, the natural beauty of the Doolin area or the proper planning and development of the area to post in a submission.

The Foreshore Unit,
    Department of Environment, Heritage,
    and Local Government,
    Newtown Road,
    Wexford.

Date: ____________

Re: Section 19 of the Foreshore Act, 1933. Clare Co. Co. application to Mr. Phil Hogan T.D., Minister for the Environment, Heritage & Local Government for permission to occupy an area of foreshore at Doolin, Co. Clare for the purpose of constructing an access road, pier structure and associated dredging works at Doolin Pier, Doolin, Co. Clare.
    Ref: MS/51/11/234

Dear Sir/Madam,

________________________________________________________________________________________________

The following points are of concern and we would ask each of you to choose some of these points and maybe add some additional issues of your own, elaborate upon them with a few sentences and submit to the above address by post to arrive before 21st April 2011. The following points are the opinion of the West Coast Surf Club in light of our assessment of the proposed development:

• The new pier structure has the potential to destroy a highly regarded surfing wave at Doolin Point and potentially have a significant impact on the surfing quality of the world renowned wave at Crab Island.
    • The new pier structure will be located where surfers currently safely access the water. The new development will result in a significant danger to surfers as they will have to enter the water at either the shore side of the pier, crossing the ferry paths, or at the seaward side of the pier where the reef is extremely dangerous and this will be compounded with the backwash from the new pier.
    • The proposed pier, as designed, will create significant currents in the water in and around the area where surfers paddle. This will create a serious health and safety hazard and surfers may be dragged onto rocks, the new revetment or into the paths of ferries.
    • The proposed pier is of an extremely large scale which will be visible from many surrounding areas, in particular the renowned views of the point from the hills to the south.
    • The pier will involve significant blasting and dredging of the seabed. The full impacts that these activities will have on the environment in and around the subject site have not been assessed appropriately. The works will have potentially disastrous repercussions for different aquatic species in the area including Dolphins. A full Environmental Impact Statement should be prepared.
    • The pier requires a new tarmac access road which will be constructed on the existing limestone pavement at Doolin Point.
    • The development could have a significant impact on the amenity value of the Doolin area for surfers, sightseers, walkers, bird watchers, hikers, due to its size, and location.
    • There is a need for a new pier, however a design which will not have the above negative impacts can be provided and should be designed as an alternative to the current proposal.

________________________________________________________________________________________

The above points are to guide you in your submission, however we would ask you to make your submission as personal and unique as possible. Please include your full address in the submission. There is no fee required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 JeanOH

this issue affects every surfer in the country...a weakness in opposition is as good as a green light...i genuinely hope there is unity in the surfing community in opposing this scandalous move... i often wonder whether the GAA brigade would suffer Semple Stadium, or Pairc Ui Caoimh being torn to the ground in the name of "progress" I cannot put in words the disgust or sick feeling in my stomach that i feel...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Unfortunately it dosn't appear people are bothered, there are 5,500 members on the facebook page i believe and around 140 letters of objection were sent in

not really a great showing

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

PeakOutput wrote: »
    Unfortunately it dosn't appear people are bothered, there are 5,500 members on the facebook page i believe and around 140 letters of objection were sent in

not really a great showing

Its very easy to click a 'like' button, but the print, fold, seal, stamp, post sequence is a bit too much for most. A real shame.

We've overturned Clare County Councils decision to grant permission for the pier.

A full Environmental Impact Assessment (including impact on waves) has to be undertaken in a new application to An Bord Pleanala.

More info on my site if interested.

Cheers for all the support over the past year +

We've overturned Clare County Councils decision to grant permission for the pier.

A full Environmental Impact Assessment (including impact on waves) has to be undertaken in a new application to An Bord Pleanala.

More info on my site if interested.

Cheers for all the support over the past year +

This important milestone would not have been achieved without the help of many people, however the overwhelming portion of the thanks / respect / debt goes to CRenegade for his expert judgement, untiring dedication and quielty calm leadership on the preparation and submission that achieved this result.

All surfers in Ireland, whether you have any intention of paddling out at Doolin / Crab or not, owe thanks and respect to this man. You might be on the other side of the world at the moment, but your always welcome in Clare. Enjoy your travels and see out the back at some stage.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Thats great news, well done CRenegade.

• Advertisement

Doolin pier gets a mention in the new LAP for the area. Seems major plans to upgrade facilities as well as extend pier are afoot. This decision should delay the extension by about a year

Advertisement