Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plastic or Glass ?

Options
  • 27-09-2010 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

I'm soaking fruit in brandy for my Christmas cake & I had it in a tubberware container but I've read online not to store in plastic. So, which is better for soaking for approx 1 month : glass or plastic??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

Definitely glass or a pudding bowl in my opinion. Less chance of getting a plasticky tang I would think. But then I've never soaked fruit (I detest all types of fruit cake - love the smell though).:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Soaking fruit in brandy in plastic will also stain the plastic forever.

You are really soaking the fruit in brandy for a MONTH. Tell us more.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Yeah I'm not sure about the month long soak. If you're unsure about plastic then just use glass, don't introduce possible complications if you already have a glass bowl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 caroj

Soaking the fruit for 5/6 weeks is based on a principle from the Bourke Street Cook book - the Bourke St Bakery is in Sydney.

I picked up the recipe at the pinkwhisk.co.uk, it's a blog by Ruth who was on the Great British Bake off. Basically, I made a sugar and water syrup, when cooled, add brandy, then add to chopped fruit - I have raisins, sultanas, figs, dates & candied peel.

I've never tried this before, always only soaked overnight so we'll see how it turns out :D. I bought a kilner jar & it's handy to give it a shake every day to mix it all up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

I soak raisins in rum or brandy for Christmas Stollen cake. You can soak them for as long as you like, actually, but they will start to expand to two or three times their size after several months. I have used both plastic and glass before without any problems, but I'd say a glass jar is better.

in fact, I used some raisins that were soaking since before last Christmas only last night in neuro-praxis' courgette bread recipe. :D

If you wanted to make your own peel you could also try this. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Use glass or stainless steel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Plastic shouldn't be a problem once you use a food grade plastic(a tub sold specifically for food storage)

Advertisement