Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castleknock Gate of Park to close from 4th to 8th October

Options
  • 27-09-2010 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭

Saw signs up this evening announcing that the Castleknock Gate of the Park will be closed from the 4th to the 8th of October.

I know the Park is primarily an amenity but because of its size, there is a lack of commuter routes from D.15. Why couldn't they do the work over the mid-term break, a bank holiday weekend, or just any weekend?

The OPW probably don't work at the weekend, so much for the Croke Park Agreement.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

Godge wrote: »
    so much for the Croke Park Agreement.

Don't think the Croke Park Agreement covers road works mate.

I don't care when they close it to do the work as long as they fix the cliff-like drop just at the gate that makes my steering go all over the place

and that the drainage at the new round-about gets sorted before the next big freeze happens, saw so many people spin out there last winter I'm still wondering how no one was killed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I'm dreading traffic next week...thinking the M50 to Finglas and N2 inbound will be the easiest at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The thread title makes it seem like it's closing for good!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

anyone know if the footpath gates will stay open?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

The thread title makes it seem like it's closing for good!

I thougth so as well, 4 days is no biggie really. Ill just wait till the weekend to bring the kids to the park so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Wasn't it shut for weeks last year when they did up the roundabout? I don't think the world ended that time

That was pre-N3 disaster! Queue for the park since these works finished has been 5-15 minutes at rush hour. Before N3 disaster, 2 mins max.

Am thinking M50 to Finglas and in on the N2 will be my best route next week, though one of the radio programmes said closures start at 9.30am each day so morning rush hour not affected?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I think the OPW are quite delighted to close the park for commuting traffic. They don't seem to like that its so heavy used by commuters. I don't see why they couldn't have done much of this over the weekend. People using the park at the weekend don't mind using other gates as theres no traffic anyway.

During the week though its cutting off one the main routes into Dublin for D.15/Meath traffic.

They don't say what specifically they are doing either. when they closed of the rounadbout it was closed for about 3 or 4 days before they even started doing anything.

I hope to cycle most of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Just to clarify, it is only closed from 10am until 7pm each day per the official notice.

http://www.phoenixpark.ie/media/Castleknock%20Gate%20Closure.doc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

BostonB wrote: »
    I think the OPW are quite delighted to close the park for commuting traffic. They don't seem to like that its so heavy used by commuters. I don't see why they couldn't have done much of this over the weekend. People using the park at the weekend don't mind using other gates as theres no traffic anyway.

During the week though its cutting off one the main routes into Dublin for D.15/Meath traffic.

They don't say what specifically they are doing either. when they closed of the rounadbout it was closed for about 3 or 4 days before they even started doing anything.

I hope to cycle most of the week.

Its Fingal County Council and not the OPW who have requested that the gates be closed, as Fingal are resurfacing the the junction outside the gates.

• Advertisement

I didn't see it on the signs in the park. But they mentioned the times on the radio this am. They also said the reason.

Surface is bad inside and out side the park there.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭fptosca

I don't see that as a big issue. N3 is moving pretty well. The closure would mean a bit of extra traffic on Hanlons Corner-Cabra Road-N3 and on Knockmaroon gate-Knockmaroon Hill. I was around Knockmaronn Hill yesterday and not a big deal.

Thats because its open till 10am...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Does anybody know what actual works are being carries out as details are very vage.

Slydice wrote: »
    anyone know if the footpath gates will stay open?
    Answer seems to be yes :)
    celticbest wrote: »
    Does anybody know what actual works are being carries out as details are very vage.

Looks like it is road surfacing work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

So have there been delays around the park getting out of town this week? I've been on the bus the past 2 days but will be back in the car tmw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Are the works still due to be finished tonight as originally stated?

Signs don't seem to indicate otherwise from what I could see

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrghhhhhhhhhhh :mad: It's a bus lane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As if FCC haven't made traffic in D15 enough of a stress filled torture in recent weeks....now this - FFS!!

Bus lane?

• Advertisement

The road markings outside the Castleknock gate where they were working give a bus lane outbound from the gate. Talk about ridiculous and un-necessary!!

Does it say bus lane on the road now? have signs gone up?

These plans were advertised in 2008/2009.

The full details are here:
    http://www.dublincity.ie/RoadsandTraffic/QBNProjectOffice/QualityBusCorridors/Pages/CastleknockQBC.aspx

athtrasna wrote: »
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrghhhhhhhhhhh :mad: It's a bus lane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As if FCC haven't made traffic in D15 enough of a stress filled torture in recent weeks....now this - FFS!!

Perhaps change to the bus?

Not much use when I have commitments in Wicklow two evenings a week, getting me home near midnight when I drive, impossible on public transport!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Does anyone have details of the road resurfacing being carried out in Castleknock village? The new road surface from the park gate is great, but the old surface in the village has been stripped back and not resurfaced yet.

I'm delighted the road is being fixed (was lethal on a bike previously), but at present it's even more dangerous than it was before.

See the link above..more disastrous bus lane works....just as DB cuts back on services!

See the link above..more disastrous bus lane works....just as DB cuts back on services!

That of course depends on your viewpoint as one road user. The 70+ people on each bus will benefit!

when have you ever seen 70 people on a 37 or 38 in Castleknock? Secondly DB is scaling buses back in D15...so the bus lane is a boom decision in a bust situation

• Advertisement

when have you ever seen 70 people on a 37 or 38 in Castleknock? Secondly DB is scaling buses back in D15...so the bus lane is a boom decision in a bust situation

They are not scaling the buses back - they are redesigning and simplifying the network. The changes in Castleknock do not result in cutbacks. The 37 will still have a peak frequency of 10 minutes or better as will the combined 38/38a.

At the end of the day every piece of bus priority will help deliver a better bus service and if we as a city are to get a reliabile efficient public transport service that is what is needed.

I'm afraid your attitude is somewhat typical of car drivers - they fail to see that for public transport to succeed it needs on-street priority. People all along the route benefit (not just Castleknock in this case) as buses will be delayed less and can become more reliable.

Advertisement