Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castleknock Gate of Park to close from 4th to 8th October

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I used the buses for years and now drive out of necessity. But with all the works recently I haven't seen a bus lane bar the lane from Phoenix Park station inbound on the Navan Road that is ever busy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

KC61 wrote: »
    They are not scaling the buses back - they are redesigning and simplifying the network. The changes in Castleknock do not result in cutbacks. The 37 will still have a peak frequency of 10 minutes or better as will the combined 38/38a.

At the end of the day every piece of bus priority will help deliver a better bus service and if we as a city are to get a reliabile efficient public transport service that is what is needed.

I'm afraid your attitude is somewhat typical of car drivers - they fail to see that for public transport to succeed it needs on-street priority. People all along the route benefit (not just Castleknock in this case) as buses will be delayed less and can become more reliable.

That sounds like something straight out of the Dublin Bus PR handbook. For a start the 38A doesn't go into Castleknock.

And while they are saying the service will be more reliable, more direct etc. etc., at the moment they are only words and we have yet to see any proof of how removing 20% of the buses from the streets can result in a better service. I'd admire your optimism but as someone who regulalry gets frustrated with the bus service in the Dublin 15 area, I'm going to wait for the proof before I start hailing the Network Direct initiative!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

That sounds like something straight out of the Dublin Bus PR handbook. For a start the 38A doesn't go into Castleknock.

And while they are saying the service will be more reliable, more direct etc. etc., at the moment they are only words and we have yet to see any proof of how removing 20% of the buses from the streets can result in a better service. I'd admire your optimism but as someone who regulalry gets frustrated with the bus service in the Dublin 15 area, I'm going to wait for the proof before I start hailing the Network Direct initiative!

The point I am making is that the peak frequency in Castleknock is not dropping, contrary to what Athtrasna is suggesting.

I know the 38a does not serve Castleknock - I was making the point that the peak frequency on the 38/38a is 10 minutes or better as it is and is not dropping, ergo the 38 will still have the same frequency.

athtrasna wrote: »
    I used the buses for years and now drive out of necessity. But with all the works recently I haven't seen a bus lane bar the lane from Phoenix Park station inbound on the Navan Road that is ever busy.

The focus has to be on getting people out of their cars and onto public transport. Anything that improves the journey time of public transport is a benefit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

I have travelled to the city centre from D.15 by bus, train, motorbike and car over the years.

Best mode of transport is the motorbike as it gives you a view of everything that is going on as you pass the traffic and leave it behind! Not the safest or warmest though!

Have looked at the maps and watched the work for the last couple of weeks. I think that this will turn out to be another botched bus lane. The passage of buses on Auburn Ave and Laurel Lodge will improve but this will be more than cancelled out by the extra three sets of pedestrian traffic lights on the main road through Castleknock village. Add in the extra time for pedestrian lights at the existing traffic light junctions and you will see a slow down in traffic that will affect the buses negatively.

Add to the Navan Road and Stoneybatter messes as ones to forget for the local authorities and Dublin Bus.

• Advertisement

Well how many of you that are complaining made submissions to Dublin City Council on the plans when they were up for public consultation?

It's not much use moaning and groaning now when it is being implemented when everyone had an earlier opportunity to comment on it.

The next phase of Navan Road bus priority measures are up for public consultation currently at:
    http://www.dublincity.ie/RoadsandTraffic/QBNProjectOffice/Pages/PublicConsultation.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I have made submissions in the past...not that it got me anywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

KC61 wrote: »
    Well how many of you that are complaining made submissions to Dublin City Council on the plans when they were up for public consultation?

It's not much use moaning and groaning now when it is being implemented when everyone had an earlier opportunity to comment on it.

The next phase of Navan Road bus priority measures are up for public consultation currently at:
    http://www.dublincity.ie/RoadsandTraffic/QBNProjectOffice/Pages/PublicConsultation.aspx

Like others have made submissions in the past. My view is clear - bus lanes work when they are continuous, with no disappearance for 200 yards and also when left turns are eliminated.

Advertisement