Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

should i buy a hd tv?

• 27-09-2010 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

hi i have a ps3 and am going to buy an xbox.i have the ps hooked up to a sd tv and am wondering should i buy a hd tv with my xbox and what size should i get ill probaly be sitting 1metre from the tv so a small tv maybe?:D:D thx for replies

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,223 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

next gen gaming is next gen because of hi def capabilities.. of course buy a hd tv if ytour 1 meter from it i suggest a 26 inch as small tvs suck imo..

enjoy the xbox its a much better console btw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Yeh, 26 inch flat screen is ideal for a bedroom or small space, you still get pretty excellent High definition for games. Also get an Lcd HD screen not a plasma screen, Samsung seem to be a pretty popular choice with gamers.
    There are definately alot of bargains to be had, shop around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Plasmas only come in the bigger screens 42 in etc, but dont be afraid to go for a 32 in hd, big difference in picture quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

A 32" wont cost ya too much these days (famous last words) and you will see a great improvement in gaming, going back to SD afterwards is painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭jonny_b1

HD v SD is like Colour TV v Blackand White. The difference is astounding.

PS3 owns xbox IMO ;-P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

jonny_b1 wrote: »
    HD v SD is like Colour TV v Blackand White. The difference is astounding.

PS3 owns xbox IMO ;-P
    The last time i looked microsoft owns xbox, but dont quote me on that.

Anyway on topic i have a 26 inch phillips tv. The only thing to look out for. Make sure it has a few hdmi slots. Mine is one of the early generation and came with one dvi slot. Pain in the ...

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭jonny_b1

The last time i looked microsoft owns xbox, but dont quote me on that.

Anyway on topic i have a 26 inch phillips tv. The only thing to look out for. Make sure it has a few hdmi slots. Mine is one of the early generation and came with one dvi slot. Pain in the ...

Touché.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

The important thing to look for when buying a LCD is the contrast ratio between black and white and the delay. You want a high contrast ratio so your blacks look dark and rich: the delay should be low... around 5ms or less for gaming. This effects how quick the display refreshs. For fast moving pictures, like gaming, the lower the better.

I've two 19" Normende LCD's that I used with two different 360's. They were cheap enough and at the time I thought they were brilliant. Last Christmas I bought a 22" Philips (model 22PFL3404) and couldn't believe the difference in quality.

Comparing the picture quality, the Philips is way more vivid and lush looking. I'd highly recommend that model to anyone looking for a gaming display. I also find 22" is the perfect size if you're sitting that close to the screen. I've a 42" too and I find that I tend to have to look around the screen whereas with the 22", everything is right there in front of me.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

A 32" would be absolutely perfect for your room in my opinion. It would be 'big' for the type of tv you are playing on now and the quality will be unreal.

It generally tends to be Samsung TV's for Xbox and Sony TV's for Playstation.

A lot of features vary between LCD TV's these. Do your research on them! You generally want to look for a high contrast ratio, quick response time ( I suggest a TV above 100hz refresh rate since games tend to be fast paced) as Moose has suggested above, 3-4 HDMI ports etc.

If you get a chance to look at TV's in Soundstore or wherever see what you like and note down the model number and then google it later on to get more details and reviews and you can't go wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

It generally tends to be Samsung TV's for Xbox and Sony TV's for Playstation.

What the balls is that supposed to mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

What the balls is that supposed to mean?

I think it was to do with when the 360 launched in 2005, MS partnered up with Samsung to promote their HDTVs as the best for gaming with the 360. Recently MS have dropped Samsung and have some sort of partnership with LG apparently.

Sony PS3 and Sony Bravia HDTVs, Bluray marketing at the time of the Bluray/HD DVD format war, yada, yada.. etc, the rest as they say is history.

In reality it means nothing as to what works best with what. The 3 or 4 main HDTV brands all use screens produced by the same supplier, after that it's down to features and quality control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Yes, yes you should

i love sitting a metre away from the 42 incher in the living room, moved the xbox down there from my small tv in my room, it rocks

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭HATCHET IRL

Im lookin to get a new tv myself, 32inch just seems too small these days:) lcd or plasma tho?? i always thought lcd was better for gaming but iv been doin some research and it seems plasma has better quailty for gaming. Is image retention still a big deal these days with plasma tvs? Between me and the brother the xbox could be on most days for bout 10 hours so image retention would not be good. Opinions and suggestions? Any particuler brand and series you would recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭weiland79

Sorry i must have walked into the wrong thread, i thought it was about a HD TV.

Instead i read XBOX RULZ PS3 IS FOR GHEYS!

How very boring.

Grow up ffs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

I would go for a 32' Philips, its the one I got myself and its absolutely awesome. The HD pic is stunning but the best part is the sound out of it. Has a trick little system that actually manages to emulate a surround sound system pretty well (or at least better than any tv I have seen claiming it in a long while). Serious advnatage in things like MW2, hearing stuff on that TV that I wouldnt hear without it like footsteps and reloads of nearby enemies.

Can remember the model number but this is the one...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSbvBCj5Gv3azRWj9G1nFYsIE-IOMTeKfqGrogrxYDOFaXsB9E&t=1&usg=__NxSblNgqpWUg99AGCihXgYjtXi4=

Got mine in Currys. About €450. Have a samsung 32 in the living room and while its great its just not as good imo.

Advertisement