Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel Fly Rod

Options
  • 27-09-2010 10:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I'm looking to buy an affordable rod that breaks down into 7 peices so it can be transported in the luggage overseas. I've found 2 manufacturers Orvis and March Brown, but know nothing about either or other options out there. Does any one have experience with these rods and could advise.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Had a quick look there and saw this one...

I got a new Greys fly rod for this season and can honestly say its the best fly rod I've ever owned.

Someone might be better able to advise on travel fly rods in general tho. I'm not sure how have it as a 6/7piece rod might affect the action of the rod.

Edit - when you say "affordable" it might be best to actually post a figure as it would give some of the posters a better idea on how to advise. Whats a affordable to one may be too expensive to another.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

I have an Orvis Frequent Flier 3wt and I love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 JoeSandles

Thanks for the feed back.

I guess my budget would be between €180-€230 for a rod only.

The Grey's one you picked out is massively reduced in price - Where the Orvis price starts within my budget. Its hard to know if it makes it any better...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I have an Orvis Frequent Flier 8wt, 7 piece 9ft, tube measures about 18 inches so fits perfectly in luggage, casts absolutely fine and has caught trout, salmon, bass and mullet. Would have no problems recommending it.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭TimMac

Hey Seafields
    Did you get the new grxi+ rod?
    SeaFields wrote: »
    Had a quick look there and saw this one...

I got a new Greys fly rod for this season and can honestly say its the best fly rod I've ever owned.

Someone might be better able to advise on travel fly rods in general tho. I'm not sure how have it as a 6/7piece rod might affect the action of the rod.

Edit - when you say "affordable" it might be best to actually post a figure as it would give some of the posters a better idea on how to advise. Whats a affordable to one may be too expensive to another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

TimMac wrote: »
    Hey Seafields
    Did you get the new grxi+ rod?

No, its a G-series 10ft, 7/8. Great rod to fish with and very much better than my last rod, a sage launch 9ft.

Advertisement