Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Host Unreachable - Was "What happens if your host goes bust?"

Options
  • 27-09-2010 10:20pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a terrible feeling my web hoster may have gone bust.

Is it possible for a web host to be down? Or do they have unlimited access to wonderful internet things (think they're called servers), and they can never go down, so if one is down then it's gone?

I have 11 websites with this crowd and I'm worried! I always meant to back up. :(

<snip - No naming please.> Most recommended one by Wordpress.org so I thought they were reliable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Technical issues can happen at any time for any reason, usually web hosting companies will try and have backup servers so they're never down. If this is as big a company as I think, they shouldn't just shut down everything like that unless there was a problem. How long has it been down? What error appears when you try your site?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

For any page related to my site I get the usual Firefox, this page might be busy, might be a firewall etc.

When I tried to put in my password to my hosts site it said my password was not installed correctly and that that cannot be repaired at this time.

Will they have a back up of my blog? Ever so slightly freaking out here.

Type your username/domain name in here and see what the status is. I honestly wouldn't worry about your sites and its content, they should have back ups at the least!

Was your contract/payment due soon?

Seems to be a few problems today, see here That was posted about 1 & 1/2 hours ago

lil_lisa wrote: »
    Type your username/domain name in here and see what the status is. I honestly wouldn't worry about your sites and its content, they should have back ups at the least!

Was your contract/payment due soon?

No, that was the first thing I thought of, but I'm 99% sure it's not til November. I'm not positive though. If that was the case, would my sites be gone?

I've only noticed it in the last 30 minutes, hopefully they'll be back soon.

I'll just sit here in the meantime shaking. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Have you contacted their support team? I understand that you're concerned, but it seems a little unfair and premature to suggest that they might have gone bust.

Yes I know, I was just thinking how stupid the title is now. It's purely down to my complete igorance on these matters and the fact that everything that disappears these days seems to be gone to the wall.

If anyone can edit the title that'd be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

To answer your earlier question - some hosting companies can handle server outages better than others. Some use "cloud computing" so a webserver is not tied down to a specific piece of hardware. But sometimes a single point of failure will break down, and result in a site outage.

I'd recommend setting up a free account at http://www.uptimerobot.com so you can see how often the site is not responding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

1) Please don't discuss individual hosting providers on this forum. If you have an issue, contact tech support. Please read the linked thread and the forum sticky.

2) Please don't start suggesting things that may not be true. Again, if you have concerns, contact your provider. If you want high level help (i.e. not a full step by step of your hosts admin panel) you can post here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement