Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

legion avenue

Options
  • 27-09-2010 10:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

HI
    DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THERE IS ANY RECORDS OF WHO BUILT LEGION AVENUE WAS IT THE BRITISH LEGION OR THE LOCAL COUNCIL OF THE TIME. AND THE NAMES OF WHO THEY WERE BUILT FOR:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 king li

I had great fun in asking my grandfather about when legion avenue houses where built. He is still living in the family home in Legion avenue so he was able to give me plenty of info for you.

The houses in legion avenue where built just after the 1st world war around the end of 1918 to the begining of 1919. The street has always been called Legion Avenue. They were built for ex service personal.

My grand-da has the list of who all was getting the houses when they were built
    user_online.gifreport.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You asked this in June and got a full answer. Why ask again?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055944532&highlight=legion+avenue

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

King Li's answer in this thread is word for word the exact same (bar the very last line) as their answer posted in the thread posted in Srameen's reply.
    Just saying!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 mickey57

Hi
    The reason i want to know about legion avenue is my grandfather lived there,He was in the british army in ww1 lost a leg got one of the houses.
    But there is nobody left alive in the family who could help me with finding out about his service record(rank,number,unit,medals) So i taught find written records of who built the houses and maybe his army number would be on it and i could get his record if it still exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

But you asked all this before.

My own Grandfather had a house there and was ex British Army. The housing records as far as I'm aware don't have military references.

there are lots of excellent British Regiment sites and societies. Having his name, date of birth etc should allow you contact them for details. You need to look towards the British Army Veteren groups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

It realy is quite simple as Sremeen above has pointed out.For me the first point of reference would be the Louth county archives.(in the old jail, entrance on the Ardee road.)Helpful people, who will certaintly put you on the right path if not actualy providing you with the answers you seek.

http://193.178.1.203/adlib/Default.aspx
    County Archives Service - telephone 042-9339387 or by email archive@louthcoco.ie.

On a good day you might actualy get a look around the old gaol which is a treat in itself but dont say i sent ya:pac:

Advertisement