Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letter from AIB re: overdraft

Options
  • 27-09-2010 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has had anything similar. I have an overdraft with AIB of €1800. I get paid weekly, and due to some financial stickiness lately (seperation from husband, covering mortgage/household bills myself) I'm constantly at, if not over, my OD limit because the bank still allow my DDs to go out even if the funds aren't there. I get charged a €5 fee every time I go over the limit.

Anyway, i've received a letter from AIB to contact them to discuss my overdraft. I'm afraid that they will want to withdraw the facility which would basically leave me in major bother as I really don't have any available funds to clear the overdraft at the moment. Would they want to turn it into a loan to be repaid over 12/24 months?

If anyone else has had a similar situation with their bank, I'd be grateful to hear about it.

Thanks
    Ellie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

No way to know until you contact them, it could be anything at all. Worst thing you can do is ignore it, or not contact them. They could decide to stop your direct debits, then your mortgage goes unpaid, and you get in a lot more trouble.

Make an appointment to see them immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭EllieB

Thanks jor el,

I've already made an appointment to meet with someone in the bank. Was just hoping to have an idea of what they're going to do before I go in. Well, I guess I'll soon find out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Dont worry, the bank wont just withdraw the overdraft facility. It would neither benifit you or the bank. They will look at long term options to see how they can help get you back in the black. A loan would work out cheaper in the long run and would help get your finances back in order.

Advertisement