Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with phone

Options
  • 27-09-2010 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭

Im using a samsung gt340.Im having a few problems with it.
    Problem number 1: Phone randomly turns off.
    Problem number 2: Phone unlocks and then starts texting and ringing people.

I gave it back to them to get it repaired.After less than 3 hours it started turning off again.I have no doubt in my mind its going to unlock itself and start wasting credit again..Iv read a few reviews of it as well and they also say its very easy to unlock itself.

I was wondering what is my next step,i know if i give it back to them,they will just sent it back for repair and nothing will be done.At this stage i just want a refund or credit note for my troubles.Iv been a very loyal customer to this store and have been buying in their store for the past 5 years and i have never had such troubles as this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

When a phone is defective, then you are entitled to a refund, replacement or repair. It is up to the retailer to offer an option, but it must be reasonable. The first repair attempt was definitely reasonable.

Now, when you get something repaired, you are entitled to expect that repair to be permanent i.e. the same fault will not reappear over the lifetime of the product.

Your repair was not successful, so now it's back to the store for another session of refund, replacement, repair. You could reject the repair option as the first one failed, but it needs to be a reasonable rejection.

Most mobile phone shops have an internal policy of 3 repairs before replacement/refund, but this is not law, it's simply their own policy. Just be aware that legally, you do not have to accept a second repair. However, this is also a bit of a grey area, so you need to weigh up if giving them a second chance to repair the phone is reasonable.

However, I definitely wouldn't give them more than 2 chances. If that did fail, I would remind them that under Consumer Law, the options available are now refund or replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

The pphone randomly turning off is something with the phone,however i have heard of a lot of people complaining about he phone being very easy to unlock.I took no notice of this when i bought it a month ago since i never locked phone anyway,however with this phone when its in my pocket it just starts texting and ring people.

Il let them do one more repair but i doubt they will fix the unlocking problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Dublindude69

Fol20 wrote: »
    The pphone randomly turning off is something with the phone,however i have heard of a lot of people complaining about he phone being very easy to unlock.I took no notice of this when i bought it a month ago since i never locked phone anyway,however with this phone when its in my pocket it just starts texting and ring people.

Il let them do one more repair but i doubt they will fix the unlocking problem.
    Did you ever get the phone wet? I had this problem with an old phone but it had gotten wet before hand.

Did you ever get the phone wet? I had this problem with an old phone but it had gotten wet before hand.

Nope,The phone is a touchscreen and it is very very easy to unlock.When it is in my pocket it unlocks,and then its very simple for example to ring the last person or get up the text message button and starting doing stuff.I cant get around that since it was a bad design choice.

Last night for example i was walking home after a night on the town and at half 3 in the morning it rang and woke up a person i work with.She put it straight to the answering machine but it was on that for about 5 mins before i realized i rang someone.So as a result.i annoyed her because i woke her up, and secondly it wasted a bit of my credit..Its done the exact same thing in peak times in the day and burning loads of my credit.

Ok im on my third time sending it back for repair.Its not turning itself off anymore(i think),however the other problem is still happening.

I think its just a general fault with the design of the phone.
    She said she would give me a replacement phone if it still persists again.
    Am i aloud seek a credit note instead?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

repair(which has failed twice already) replace or refund is what you would be entitled to, and after allowing them to fix the phone more than once you are in a stronger position but when you need to go back again they may deny offering a replacement. you may end up in the small claims court like many others.

basically you can ask for a refund but they can insist on a replacement which may have the same problems so if they refuse a refund your only option will be small claims court.

I dont need a refund and id like to think a credit note is a suitable compromise since ill be buying my next phone anyway in the same shop.Iv been buying my phones in the same shop for the past 5 years.

So far iv gone through 3 repairs and they say they cant find what is wrong with it.They say they update the firmware and that it should be fine now.

Every time i get it back within a day or 2,it still starts unlocking itself in my pocket and texting and ringing people.

ok i have resolved the problem a bit now.After 2 months and 3 repairs,they have finally given me a credit note.

Now the only problem is,is that they gave me 100e,not 120(i paid 110 cash and trade of a phone for 10e).
    Their reasoning behind this is that the phone now retails for 100 so thats all they can give me.

Is this aloud or what?

Advertisement