Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season so far......

Options
  • 27-09-2010 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭

I agree we haven't started well, but it is another of those wierd seasons (see WBA beating Scum, and Man U unable to win away). A lot of teams have improved because they had to, and we haven't quiet got started yet.

It is a long season and I honestly believe we will improve. Lots of teams have injuries, especially our defence at the moment. Not having Daws/Ledley/Gomes fit and available is a massive blow compared with the stability of last season. However, No one is running away with it, and we still have to play all those teams above us.

All is not lost, and this could still be a brilliant season for us.

I'm not happy with our start this season but, it's not worth getting upset about.

Reckon Wednesday will be a good night for the club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Im not concerned with anyone bar ourselves, and it's been a rotten start to the league campaign. To get such little return from wigan home, wba away and west ham away is very dissapointing. I cant help but feel it has been a great chance to put down a marker missed.

In saying that, it is great to be in Europes No 1 competition, lets hope we are still in in after Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Same old same old. Back to the inconsistencies we had before last season.

Our defense was looking suspect long before the injuries to Dawson/Gomes and King.

As we all suspected, the additional CL commitments are going to have a negative impact on any attept to fiish 4th again.

The problem is I don't think Harry knows who are strongest first XI is.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

Lows: Wigan, West Ham.
    Highs: Young boys ( 2nd leg), City ( best performance so far)
    Good result but not performance from games v Stoke, Wolves

Typical mixed bag from us.
    But win tomorrow night and we are in a good position to qualify. Beat Villa on Saturday and we should be back in the top 5/6.

Considering all our injuries and Harrys tinkering with the formations 2 good performances at home this week and we could be right back on track.

Our defense was looking suspect long before the injuries to Dawson/Gomes and King.

Im not sure I agree. I think Gomes and Dawson are 2 huge losses going by the form of both last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Im not sure I agree. I think Gomes and Dawson are 2 huge losses going by the form of both last season.

very true. how was our defense suspect before? last season our defensive record was excellent. we miss gomes and dawson massively

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I think it has been a very poor season so far. I reckon we'll struggle this season in the League (as usual when we're in Europe) but I have a sneaky suspicion we'll get to the QF's of the CL at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

mickman wrote: »
    very true. how was our defense suspect before? last season our defensive record was excellent. we miss gomes and dawson massively

Yes - those 2 are the biggest loses but what I mean is we looked suspect in the first 2-3 games of this season when gomes and dawson were playing compared the how solid are defence was in last seasons run in and we are even worse since they got injured - i.e the last 4 games

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

If we'd won on Saturday I would have been pretty happy with our start to the season. Progress was made in Europe and a solid away draw form our first game, so no complaints there.

A couple of wins this week and recent poor performances will be forgotten, with the international break hopefully allowing a few players a chance to recover from injury.

I'm still trying to keep an optimistic outlook but a couple of bad results this week and I will have to re-evaluate!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭tipperaryjim

I know it's early and all but the next four days are massive for us! Win tonight, get the confidence back where it should be (for both players & supporters!) and who knows, Villa could succomb to the magic of the lane :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭slegs

We need two wins this week to stop the rot but I have a feeling we wont get them. 2 draws is what we will get I think.

Its not a good start to the season considering the last 4 games we played should have been 9-12 points and we got 4. We have some tough fixtures in the league over the next few weeks and i have afeeling we will regret the points dropped badly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭golfball37

We've had the best home defence in the EPL 2 years running, we need to go back to clean sheets at WHL. I'd settle for 0-0 even vs Villa this wknd. Lets get back to fortress WHL.

Our other medium term problem is accomodating RVdV & Luka Modric in the same team. We actually looked better when we went down to 10 men last night as the balance was ideal.

Thats not to say VdV hasn't been exceptional so far, he has been a breath of fresh air.

Long term we need 2 very good full backs also. Hutton showed last night, whilst he deserves to be ahead of Corluka, he's not up to it. Assou Ekotto is a liability also.

I reckon myself we should concentrate on finishing 4th again, its well within our reach.

golfball37 wrote: »
    . I'd settle for 0-0 even vs Villa this wknd.

No way, I'd take a 5-4 win ahead of a nil nil.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Hatch99 wrote: »
    No way, I'd take a 5-4 win ahead of a nil nil.
    I'd prefer a 5-0 tbh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    If we'd won on Saturday I would have been pretty happy with our start to the season. Progress was made in Europe and a solid away draw form our first game, so no complaints there.

A couple of wins this week and recent poor performances will be forgotten, with the international break hopefully allowing a few players a chance to recover from injury.

I'm still trying to keep an optimistic outlook but a couple of bad results this week and I will have to re-evaluate!!

Get In!! A great week to get our season back on track. Back up to 5th in the league now, hopefully Chelsea batter Arsenal tomorrow and Newcastle take something from City.

After the international break we have a very tough run of fixtures up until Christmas, so we should go into this period with some confidence on the back of two nice wins!!

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Get In!! A great week to get our season back on track. Back up to 5th in the league now, hopefully Chelsea batter Arsenal tomorrow and Newcastle take something from City.

After the international break we have a very tough run of fixtures up until Christmas, so we should go into this period with some confidence on the back of two nice wins!!
    We have since Harry got here gone on litle runs that have defined our season normally a late surge last year we won 9 of the last 12 games and the year before it was Woody's winner against Hull that really turned us from relegation candidates to pushing for Europe hopefully this will start things off early and we can go on a good run between now and Christmas because in all reality we have had an easy start dropping points we shouldn't have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 ryano77

we should be up there with chelsea at this stage given the teams we've faced so far. this week was a massive boost and we need to push on and play consistently now and take points off the top teams like last season.. still very shaky at the back and the sooner we get dawson back the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

ryano77 wrote: »
    we should be up there with chelsea at this stage given the teams we've faced so far. this week was a massive boost and we need to push on and play consistently now and take points off the top teams like last season.. still very shaky at the back and the sooner we get dawson back the better.

I have to agree with this. Before the season started I was happy with our opening 6 fixtures, and hoped we'd get maximum or not far off maximum points. Let's not forget, we played Wolves, Wigan, West Ham, and Stoke, 2 of which were at home, and only picked up 6 points. I would've hoped for 12.

We've got some catching up to do but I was delighted for us to beat Villa because they're a tough team and it was the first match after a CL game, so fair play to all involved. Hopefully we can push on from here.

Maintaining last years home form and bettering our away form we need to turn away draws and loses against the likes of villa everton wolves and Birmingham all games we should of won really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

with two wins our season has been jacked to the upside people

joint second in the league and doing well in the champs league

when harry came we were "bottom of the league with two points after 8 games" :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Huddlestone said today on Sky that we have the capability to be a title challenging team.

I'm not sure where Sky are going with their comments though, we are joint second with Utd, yet all the press has been about them having an awful start - how does that make our start good, if we're even? I mean, if we were 3/4 pts ahead, yeah I'd agree... but the fact that we're on even points makes the press look like eejits these days!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Two bad results against Wigan and West Brom have turned what could have been an excellent start into just a 'good' start to the season. we would be joint top had we won both of those fixtures.

On the upside we've beaten Villa at home and Fulham away, which over the last few seasons have been tough games for us where we didn't always get what we deserved.

There's been a few crazy results in the Premier League but there always is in the early part of the season. November onwards starts sorting out the men from the boys.

If we are still in the top 4 or 5 come March then I'll start believing there is a serious chance of a top four finish again. As for the Title, I really only see Chelsea, Utd and as an outsider City challenging.

Advertisement