Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graves Cottages.

Options
  • 28-09-2010 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭

Evening all, I'm trying locate a place in Dublin called Graves Cottages. It's listed in the 1901/11 as being in the North Dock voting area, I'm assuming thats the area we know now as North wall/Sherriff st? Recent maps don't list Graves Cottages and I don't have access to any old ones. Any help out there?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Upstairs in Pearse Street library has everything you could ever want about Dublin.

I don't have access to my old maps at the moment, but Mayor Street certainly had a number of '____ cottages' on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Yup, between Mayor St Lower and Sheriff St there was a bunch of cottages.

Had a look on http://ims0.osiemaps.ie/website/publicviewer/main.aspx on the Historic 25" version but no Grave's Cottages appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

According to a post on the Balgriffen Cemetery website, Graves Cottages was just off Newfoundland Street in the North Docks (I think it's now Sherriff Street). According to this site Graves Cottages is also spelt Greaves Cottages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Thanks a bunch for that boardsies. http://userdoc.ancestry.com/userdocstore/download.ashx?fileid=788f0e1a-a6fa-424b-b84f-ff8f31017ef9&mac=8CD2D567C0138000000D1f4L012-3U=.boards
    Looking at this map, which a post on your link provided richardjjd,;), It looks like Graves,or Greaves Cottages used to be where a bunch of new apartments are now,just to the left of Lr Mayor street, in the new Docklands area. Newfoundland street doesn't seem to exist anymore either, they sure did knock down a lot of stuff down that way for the IFSC.
    Thanks again for the help, looks like I'll never get to see the patch my Great,Great,Grandfather walked :(

Advertisement