Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Wordpress for a directory-type site

Options
  • 28-09-2010 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I used to do web-based work (HTML/PHP/MySQL etc) years ago before I moved into games, so I'm a little out of my depth now when it comes to new web tech and I'd appreciate some advice.

I want to make a simple enough website - a blog, combined with a searchable directory. I'm certain I could build this myself, but if years in software dev have taught me one thing it's that rewriting code that's already out there is a bad idea 95% of the time. So I'm looking at Wordpress as it has a lot of what I'm looking for - blogging, RSS feeds, themes, and it's already installed on the hosting service (reckon I'll go with Blacknight, they seem like a good crowd).

I guess my question is, can I do what I want with off-the-shelf Wordpress? If not, how easy is it to use Wordpress for just the blogging part and integrate my own PHP/MySQL code for the directory?

I'm half expecting someone to pipe up and say "just use plugin X", but any advice is welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭daymobrew

satchmo wrote: »
    I guess my question is, can I do what I want with off-the-shelf Wordpress? If not, how easy is it to use Wordpress for just the blogging part and integrate my own PHP/MySQL code for the directory?
    I am looking to create something similar at the moment and I am considering using WordPress.

I read a blog entry from 2009 about using WordPress as a membership community. It uses plugins such as Register Plus.
    Maybe you could use Cimy User Extra Fields to store the info for the directory.
    You could use a shortcode to display the directory - this is where you'd write some PHP to extract the data from the db.

While WordPress does have built in search, it may fall down if the data is in extra fields - you might have to write the code for that.

These are ideas from the top of my head and may not be usable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Thanks - yeah I suspect it might be easier and quicker to write the directory bit myself, as it should be pretty straightforward and there won't be many bells and whistles.

Advertisement