Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two Bed City Centre Apartment - How Low Can It Go?

Options
  • 28-09-2010 7:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Hey all,

I've been having great fun reading this forum and all the predictions about future prices. I have a question for the forum, but first some background.

I narrowly avoided buying a house just weeks before the downturn. I lost my job, and instead decided to use some of my savings and do some travelling. Well, I'm back now, and back in gainful employment, and it isn't that the money is burning a hole in my pocket (I'm not one of those posters who will ask for advice, yet already has their mind made up), but I'm starting to see a BIT more value in the market.

My question is this; I'm looking into buying some property in Dublin, probably as an investment. Early doors, so nothing specific in mind yet, but I like the look of some of the two bed apartments in Dublin city centre. From what I have seen they vary from circa 150k to circa 200k. My basic question for the people who say we haven't hit bottom is in relation to pricing is; how low and how long? How low do they think it will go (what could I eventually pay for one of these apartments) and how long will it take for the property to arrive at that price?

My main worry is this; we are in the mid-to late downturn IMHO, and it is a great time to ask for a big wodge off the asking price. I'm not seeing the likelihood of a massive upswing any time soon, but as things begin to level out, I don't want to miss my chance and end up getting less of a discount. TBH I don't see the levelling happening just yet, but that relates to my second question; when do you think it will happen?

Anyway, enough waffling, back to work.

Thanks in advance for your answers,

alandel2001

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

There is no floor on prices. Property in Dublin at one time had a negative value. No one has a crystal ball. There is certainly a way to go before the upturn. The unsold overhang has to be cleared. Mortgage finance has to become available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 alandel2001

Jo King wrote: »
    No one has a crystal ball.

I'm well aware of that. As with everything else by way of future speculation on this forum, I was looking for a best guess. Basically a sentence that begin with "I think..." and the some generalised specifics after that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Those 2beds you see for that price are most likely too small and/or located in not so decent areas. What put me off for apts is the mgt fees, i don't fancy paying circa 2k per year till i'm in the nursing home.(thats if i don't trade up!)

Could you provide us with examples of what you have in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

From a guy who bought 6 months ago, a 4 bed in the country.

House prices are dropping still.

But Rent is about 8 to 10K p.a.

The question you need to ask yourself are house prices going to drop by more than 10K a year.

If yes, Do not buy.

If No, Now is the time for you to buy.

This is the rule of thumb if your investing.

I on the other hand was looking for my first house and got a far superior house to what I could of imagined.

It looks Like a great place for us(Ms ki and I) to bring up our child(ren).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

ki wrote: »
    The question you need to ask yourself are house prices going to drop by more than 10K a year.

If yes, Do not buy.

If No, Now is the time for you to buy.

This is the rule of thumb if your investing.

No it is not, this a common misconception but you are failing at basic maths there.

You are charged interest on your mortgage. You need to offset the interest of the mortgage against the cost of rent. I think you'll find your interest is not far off the yearly rent. Then add on the drop in value of the property.

Personally considering I believe that Ireland is going to have to be bailed out by the EFSF (according to the german media the ECB considered activating it for us last Friday, http://www.cnbc.com/id/39377719) in the not so distant future (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/quote?ticker=GIGB10YR:IND#chart new record highs yet again), and the ensuing pain I would consider now a fantastic time not to buy property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

Or if you prefer, as my favourite quote du jour from another bboard has it, "Anyone considering buying property now needs locking up for their own protection."

To which I'd add: for my own protection too, so that a bunch of canny buy-to-letters thinking they're great for getting in now at 'de bottom' don't go whining to the taxpayer about their negative equity in a year or two's time.

quozl wrote: »
    I would consider now a fantastic time not to buy property.

Great line, I'll have to use that one at my next dinner party. Very Wildean.

Here are some of the properties I found on daft the other day that fit the general mould of what Im looking for:

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=556117

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=553846

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=549381

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=547744

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=529842

Yeah, the management fees put me off buying too. I have a friend who has an apartment in Carrington and his are circa 1500 blips. He told me he is considering not paying. Wonder what the legal implications are of that? If I were going to get somewhere, the amount of management fees applicable will be a big determining factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

I reckon the market wont bottom out properly until it makes sense for investors to re enter the market.

I friend of mine is into the buy to let scene and he has always valued properties as follows:

Step 1
    1,000 Monthly rental projection. (figure based on undercutting the market by 5 to 10%)
    11,000 Income per annum based on 11 month occupancy.
    -1750 Block management fee.
    9,250 available to pay the mortgage.
    770 mortgage repayments per month.

Step 2
    Capital repayment mortgage over 25 years based on 100% loan at 5% (this allows him 1. a book return on any deposit paid 2. the reduced mortgage repayment due to the deposit paid goes towards the annual tax liability)

So I put those rough figures into a mortgage calculator and you get a value of

Wait for it

€132,000

no wonder he has nothing in Ireland.

Now I'm sure I'm going to get slated, but the guy has a pretty decent portfolio, mostly in England and some in the North and doesent seem overly concerned about the market short to medium term. He has always told me capital gains are a bonus, not an income and thats why they are taxed differently, ie half way between gambling tax and income tax.

What seemed to happen in Ireland is that everyone went chasing capital gains (ie Gambling) and forgot about the most important part of investment, the yield.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

Spent a year in Smithfield Village - build quality is atrocious. Could hear every grunt and groan from my neighbour's busy sex life. Additionally all noise in the courtyard echoes and amplifies up to the apartments. Added to all the cracks in the walls, and the poor bathroom ventilation, and the freezing cold in the back bedroom... ugh.

I wouldn't live in any of those areas, Smithfield or Christchurch or Gardiner st before i'd even look at the build quality and size of the apts.

The Richmond apt is too small at 50sqm for a 2bed. Looks ok in the limited photos but storage for me would be the problem.

• Advertisement

lainey316 wrote: »
    Could hear every grunt and groan from my neighbour's busy sex life.

Where do I sign up?:D Seriously though, that's good to know. They sounded like one of the better ones in terms of area, so glad to know what the trade off would be.

whatnext - your friend sounds like a very shrewd guy. I'm in a similar boat in terms of not buying for capital appreciation. I will take regular payments of rent any day of the week. The calculation you performed makes sense. IF (and it's a big if) I do buy something, I will be going in with an initial bid that is derisory at best, to take into account future expected drops.

Anyone any predictions on how the rest of this year/early next year is shaping up in terms of further potential drops?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 crabfeet

I am a veteran of the 80s recession. The advice I got from a bank manager then was to sit and wait for the upturn. Try accumulate as much of a deposit as possible and buy in just after the upturn starts. The chances are you won't pay much over the bottom and will not suffer any negative equity. No one will know when the bottom of the market has been reached until after it has passed. I didn't quite catch the bottom but I got in early enough to get a good lift in the first few years befor the next wobble hit the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,520 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The banks have no money to lend, people are leaving the country, the potential market for any property is tiny and so prices will continue to fall. I'd consider looking again at buying in 2012, next year is going to be the worst drop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

You want to buy it as an investment? :)

In that case you should wait at least another 2 - 3 years otherwise it will be a bad investment.

At least 50% of Ireland are still in total denial of how _destroyed_ Ireland is, so there is a long wait to go yet before we hit the bottom.

Missed that investment part in the OP. So you are a wannabe landlord, I shouldn't have given advice on living in them since you yourself is not going to be living in them!

Have you checked the asking rents for similar apts in the blocks? I'd say also it would be very hard to get an investor mortgage from the banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

crabfeet wrote: »
    I am a veteran of the 80s recession. The advice I got from a bank manager then was to sit and wait for the upturn. Try accumulate as much of a deposit as possible and buy in just after the upturn starts. The chances are you won't pay much over the bottom and will not suffer any negative equity. No one will know when the bottom of the market has been reached until after it has passed. I didn't quite catch the bottom but I got in early enough to get a good lift in the first few years befor the next wobble hit the market.

This is the best advice possible.

gurramok wrote: »
    Have you checked the asking rents for similar apts in the blocks?

I have checked general rents for town. Anything from 450 up to beyond a grand as far as I can see. Say one of these places would be a 450 rent per month at the moment.

I won't be in a position to do anything until at least mid-November, and I'm actually thinking of shelving the idea until after Christmas given the financial situation we've put ourselves in as a country. I'll keep looking at property though, and may reassess that stance.

I will say this though, I don't think that property will EVER go back to pre-boom figures, or anything like it. Like it or not there are too many people out there earning better money than before for that to happen.

It's also frustrating because I have wanted to own property for the last 6 years, and I'm starting the feel the old adage that there is never a right time to buy. You just have to take an educated guess (which we are all doing), buy , and either hope for the best or not care what happens.

I will say this though, I don't think that property will EVER go back to pre-boom figures, or anything like it. Like it or not there are too many people out there earning better money than before for that to happen.

Do you realise how ****ed Ireland is?

Comparing Ireland now with Ireland in 1992 is like comparing a turd with a diamond.

Do you realise how ****ed Ireland is?

Comparing Ireland now with Ireland in 1992 is like comparing a turd with a diamond.

In case my point wasn't clear, we will definitely see pre-bubble prices (inflation adjusted).

• Advertisement

In case my point wasn't clear, we will definitely see pre-bubble prices (inflation adjusted).

Mr. Loverman, I agree that we will definitely see pre-bubble prices (after all, defining a certain portion of the price increase as a bubble means that it is destined to pop at some stage), and probably a little more off by the time things hit bottom. What I was saying is that unfortunately we won't be going back to the days of our parents, when the price of a three or four bed house in a good, central location didn't make your eyes water.

So, what's the thinking on the apartments I posted one year hence? Savings worth waiting for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

So, what's the thinking on the apartments I posted one year hence? Savings worth waiting for

Yes hold off, at least a year and then review. You'll probably save 8-12% of the price, possibly more. NAMA is only getting going now, there's a few Christmasses left in this turkey and the best is yet to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I'm in the exact same mind space as the OP. But I'm in no rush. My plan is to buy based on my capability to service a mortgage and then perhaps rent the other room out... But I may not... In 10 - 15 years time I'll probably have inherited a house or have got married so I'll hold on to the property, rent it fully out and move into the other house. I'm afraid at some of the prices folk are looking for I won't be buying at present... Holy god some are not even achieving a 3% yield.... I'd want at least 7 - 8%.... but as I've said I'm in no rush.

RATM wrote: »
    Yes hold off, at least a year and then review. You'll probably save 8-12% of the price, possibly more. NAMA is only getting going now, there's a few Christmasses left in this turkey and the best is yet to come.

I'm thinking that with the announcement of four "hairshirt" budgets, the price of housing can't fail but go down in the short to medium term. OK, I'm convinced, I'm put off buying a house AT LEAST until the new year, and then I'll reassess, with I'm sure another delay to follow.

Might go to Australia for a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Who_owns_this?

Out of interest to me, could anybody give a rough estimate of how low could it go? I have to admit, I'm not the most practical with money sometimes, and would be happy to pay €200k for a decent sized two bed apartment that I love in the city centre. I would have been just as happy to do so a year ago, and I can imagine I'd be happy to do so next year - I think that amount of money is well spent for the perfect starter apartment.

Unfortunately, saving for a deposit is a time consuming process, but I think I might finally be in a position to get a mortgage next year.

While, like I said, I would be willing to pay €200k for the right place, obviously, I wouldn't do that if I could get it for less.

So, how low can it go?

Unfortunately, saving for a deposit is a time consuming process, but I think I might finally be in a position to get a mortgage next year.

Well, you're not going to buy anything until at least next year then. From what I've heard, the price should have come down a bit more by then. I would be expecting (and guessing), that if I wait until Winter 2011, prices would have dropped approximately 10%.

That's just the asking price though, and no one is paying that anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mrblack

[QUOTE=

While, like I said, I would be willing to pay €200k for the right place, obviously, I wouldn't do that if I could get it for less.

So, how low can it go?[/QUOTE]

Lets see -that question can be answered after the next 4 budgets & beyond when presumably all the following negative factors will probably impact on current property prices:

A) Income taxes will rise substantially for everybody
    B) Significant Property taxes will be introduced for owners
    C) Significant Indirect tax increases- VAT/Excise
    D) Interest relief for investors will be further reduced from current 75%
    E) Rent Allowance will be decreased by some material percentage
    F) Personal Insolvencies will increase when the law is changed in their favour
    G) Continued downward wage pressures-or no pay increases at least till 2013
    H) As competition in Banking is reduced then mortgage margins will rise
    I) Emigration will continue by current and future potential homeowners
    J) NAMA releasing finished properties onto the market mopping up demand
    K) ECB raising interest rates to normal levels, ie by 1.5%-2.5%
    L) Property owners/investors in tight financial straits will be forced to sell
    M) People realise that property in Ireland is still expensive vs other countries
    N) More builders are put into receivership and properties are sold at large discounts to current prices as has happened recently where €120k properties had queues wanting to buy them (North west region I think)
    O) Rising fuel prices decrease disposable income and discourage commuting
    P) The Croke Park aggreement falls apart and public sector pay falls
    Q) Unemployment rises and
    R) The 12.5% Corporate tax rate rises and ECB/IMF step in when the government falls after the 3 byelections and Bonds become too expensive for Ireland to issue.
    T) Deflation or very low inflation causes debt to have to be repaid in full rather than inflated away at lenders expense.
    U) Stiffer regulation forces banks to provide mortgages with more caution
    V) Interbank lending to Irish Banks does not return to precrisis levels and the Banks have to price margins very conservatively-A given
    W) Building costs decline further as NERA is disbanded and new build houses can be profitably sold for less.
    X) Development land has plummeted so land costs can lead to further downward pressure on prices of future developments.
    Y) Commercial rents continue to decline and contagion negative pressures apply to residential rents leading to lower property asking prices
    Z) Contrarily the current booming birth rate will provide demand in 25 years time-for subsidised housing at the least!

Markets usually swing in extremes so I read -so the bottom could well be lower than anyone fears! Personally I hope they do fall a lot more so that average earners can afford decent accomodation, After all this is a sparsely populated island and realistically property prices should be lower than nearby countries with much higher density. High property prices just turn owners into lifelong mortgage slaves-so let the falls continue till we are competitive again.

Mr Black

Well, you're not going to buy anything until at least next year then. From what I've heard, the price should have come down a bit more by then. I would be expecting (and guessing), that if I wait until Winter 2011, prices would have dropped approximately 10%.

That's just the asking price though, and no one is paying that anymore.

Sounds good, but...

I got a bit stung last year in that a friend was talking about investing with me in an apartment and, between the two of us, we got approval. A property went on the market for €199k and we looked at it and expressed our interest. In fact, we actually said to the estate agent that we were interested and wanted to put in an offer for the asking price. Next thing we knew we got a call saying the place had been sold for the asking price to an interested party that lived nearby and wanted to move in as soon as possible.

I kept looking for a while after that (this all happened about ten months ago), but decent two bed apartments in the city centre for under €200k didn't crop up often enough. In the end, my friend left for sunnier shores and that why I've got a while yet myself left until I can buy.

Incidentally, the estate agent that I was dealing with in the first apartment has never returned my emails re. other properties. He was slow to respond initially and now it seems like I've been blacklisted. Mystery!

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Rory1

Excellant post Mr Black

• Advertisement

mrblack wrote: »
    Lets see -that question can be answered after the next 4 budgets & beyond when presumably all the following negative factors will probably impact on current property prices:

A) Income taxes will rise substantially for everybody
    B) Significant Property taxes will be introduced for owners
    C) Significant Indirect tax increases- VAT/Excise
    D) Interest relief for investors will be further reduced from current 75%
    E) Rent Allowance will be decreased by some material percentage
    F) Personal Insolvencies will increase when the law is changed in their favour
    G) Continued downward wage pressures-or no pay increases at least till 2013
    H) As competition in Banking is reduced then mortgage margins will rise
    I) Emigration will continue by current and future potential homeowners
    J) NAMA releasing finished properties onto the market mopping up demand
    K) ECB raising interest rates to normal levels, ie by 1.5%-2.5%
    L) Property owners/investors in tight financial straits will be forced to sell
    M) People realise that property in Ireland is still expensive vs other countries
    N) More builders are put into receivership and properties are sold at large discounts to current prices as has happened recently where €120k properties had queues wanting to buy them (North west region I think)
    O) Rising fuel prices decrease disposable income and discourage commuting
    P) The Croke Park aggreement falls apart and public sector pay falls
    Q) Unemployment rises and
    R) The 12.5% Corporate tax rate rises and ECB/IMF step in when the government falls after the 3 byelections and Bonds become too expensive for Ireland to issue.
    T) Deflation or very low inflation causes debt to have to be repaid in full rather than inflated away at lenders expense.
    U) Stiffer regulation forces banks to provide mortgages with more caution
    V) Interbank lending to Irish Banks does not return to precrisis levels and the Banks have to price margins very conservatively-A given
    W) Building costs decline further as NERA is disbanded and new build houses can be profitably sold for less.
    X) Development land has plummeted so land costs can lead to further downward pressure on prices of future developments.
    Y) Commercial rents continue to decline and contagion negative pressures apply to residential rents leading to lower property asking prices
    Z) Contrarily the current booming birth rate will provide demand in 25 years time-for subsidised housing at the least!

Markets usually swing in extremes so I read -so the bottom could well be lower than anyone fears! Personally I hope they do fall a lot more so that average earners can afford decent accomodation, After all this is a sparsely populated island and realistically property prices should be lower than nearby countries with much higher density. High property prices just turn owners into lifelong mortgage slaves-so let the falls continue till we are competitive again.

Mr Black

Gotcha. I'm an Irish - Get Me Out Of Here!!!

Advertisement