Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackberry unveil iPad equivalent

Options
  • 28-09-2010 7:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2010/sep/28/rim-playbook-tablet-computer

The announcement of RIM's eagerly-anticipated assault on the tablet computer market was as elegant as its enterprise-led handsets. It will not rush the Playbook out in time for the festive season and those likely to get the most from their new tablet device will be those that already own a BlackBerry, it seems.

Without further adieu, the specifications:

• 7in touchscreen (same as Samsung Galaxy Tab, 2.7in smaller than Apple iPad)
    • BlackBerry Tablet OS built on architecture by recently-acquired QNX
    • 1 GHz dual-core processor
    • 1 GB RAM
    • HD video playback
    • HDMI video outputJuly 7 2008:
    • Bluetooth 2.1
    • MicroHDMI and microUSB ports
    • Support for Adobe Flash Player 10.1
    • Dimensions: 5.1″x7.6″x0.4″
    • Weight: 400g (Apple iPad: 680-730g; Samsung Galaxy Tab: 380g)
    • Able to connect to BlackBerry Enterprise Servers
    • Pairing with BlackBerry handsets
    • Ability to connect to 3G network on existing BlackBerry data plan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAaez_4m9mQ!

Youtube embed never fuppin works :(

Youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAaez_4m9mQ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

I have to say I am surprisingly interested in this and I think over it's life cycle it will probably be a lot better then any current android tablets that have been announced. Gingerbread may change that though

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

i wonder will the fact you can pair phone and tablet mean apple will try and counter it?

I wonder will you be able to pair the blackpad with non BB phones?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

The main point to remember is that the PlayBook isn't being released until 2011, so the Galaxy Tab will have had the 7" tablet market to itself for months; including the crucial Christmas period. Given how the PlayBook and Tab are more comparable than the iPad, it will be interesting to see how RIM manage to differentiate their product from Samsung's, especially since this will be their first device that has them moving away from what they know best, i.e. making handsets. Granted, the PlayBook appears to be just big handset, but RIM are using a brand new OS that's completely reliant on its touchscreen so it's not exactly going to be an instant win.

Gizmodo have a chart on their website comparing all the aforementioned devices and their respective features which also includes the much talked about HP Slate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

yes but the RIM OS is probably designed for use on a Tablet where android currently isn't

Advertisement