Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing window scratches

• 28-09-2010 8:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭

I have been sanding down our wooden frame windows, which were left in a shocking state by the previous owner.. As I have had to strip them right back to untainted bear wood (they had never been varnished) I have had to sand them quiet agressively.. As a result, there are a couple of spot where I glanced the glass and left scratches (not major, but if they can be fixed why not)..

Is there any tried and trusted method of removing those scratches and buffing them out? I was thinking of checking car restoration sites ect.

any ideas? thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Car glass is all plastic so their schemes wont apply to window glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Carlow52 wrote: »
    Car glass is all plastic so their schemes wont apply to window glass.

ahh bugger :( good point.. i had forgotten the were coated so as not to shatter on impact..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Windscreen glass is laminated in the middle, not the outside.

Try car polish, may improve it a little

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I remember hearing once that Brasso can be used to polish scratches out of the face of watches - no reason why it wouldn't work just as well on windows I'd have thought (that's if it works at all).

Advertisement