Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about insulating attic

• 28-09-2010 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

I got a quote of 800 to insulate my attic, with fibreglass wool, 6 inch and 2inch across the other way. It is not a big area, top attic of a dormer.
    Is it hard to do this myself? I think the rolls of insulation come cut anyway. It it just a matter or rolling it out or is there anything I should watch out for?
    Thanks,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

IMO working with FG is very difficult in a confined space., once u put the cross pieces on place the whole area is inaccessible

I would look at using a loose fill product that will be easier to use and ensure that all the spaces get filled: the precut stuff is all fine and dandy if the joists are perfectly laid out.

If u need more than 6" just screw 2 by 2 onto the existing joists

I use a product which costs about 2.50 euro per sq meter for a 50mm depth

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭DriverMad

Have you got a link to any loose fill products?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Laying fibreglass horizonally in your attic is quite a simple DIY job, provided you wear golggles, breathing mask & gloves.

In a dormer, you may need to insulate the vertical walls. This can be difficult to retro fit as access is very confined. Rockwool flexi is better suited to being installed vertically.

I'd recommend trying to achieve 300mm of fibreglass or Rockwool rather han 8 inches or 250mm.

The issue of storage and access will need to be addressed, as the joists will no longer be visible once you lay the final layer perpendicular to the joists. There are lots of threads on insulating attics.

Thanks for all the advice. The horizontal walls are dry lined so they are ok.

Is there different brands or are they all the same?

Thanks.

Just one more question on this. I have 6 inch joists in the attic.
    I have heard that after time the insulation decreases in size.
    Would I be better to put 8 inch insulation between the joists?

• Advertisement
Advertisement