Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 5 miles

Options
  • 28-09-2010 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭

After several attempts at taking up running seriously, I'm sick of the frustration of being too busy to train properly. So I've started this log to track my progress from couch to 5 miles.

In the past 5 years I have ran 20 miles of a DCM with very little training (I walked the other 6 miles), and have ran a 10km race in 55 mins (again with very little training).

Why do I think I'll succeed this time? - I'm not planning to run any marathon or half-marathon until I know that I've trained properly. I've read that if I do too much too soon, I'll increase my chances of injuring myself.

So I started off 4 weeks ago with a 7-minute run. Last week I ran two runs of 5km each, one in under 28 mins. My 5 mile race is in November so I'll be slowly building up the mileage each week until then and have a goal of running it in under 45 mins.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Day 1

After last week's mileage of 16 km (over four runs), I plan to run a mileage of 17km this week (over three runs).

I haven't planned how I'll run the sessions, but will be reading up about hill training, LSRs, tempo runs, simple fartlek, and other methods of training.

The plan for this afternoon's session: 5.5km

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

Day 1

After last week's mileage of 16 km (over four runs), I plan to run a mileage of 17km this week (over three runs).

I haven't planned how I'll run the sessions, but will be reading up about hill training, LSRs, tempo runs, simple fartlek, and other methods of training.

The plan for this afternoon's session: 5.5km

Where are you getting the training plans from? Hal Higdon seems to be the one that most people use but it's very intensive.

I started back running last week and did 3.5k 4 times so I'd be hoping to increase my distance gradually over the weeks.

Feeling very unfit at the mo. I'm not training for anything specific, this yaer anyway. I'll keep an eye on your progress, good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭plodder

Good luck with the training and the log!

Mr Magners wrote: »
    Where are you getting the training plans from? Hal Higdon seems to be the one that most people use but it's very intensive.

I started back running last week and did 3.5k 4 times so I'd be hoping to increase my distance gradually over the weeks.

I'm not following any training plan as of yet. I'm only increasing my mileage by a maximum of 10% each week. I'll check out Hal Higdon so, thanks for the recommendation!
    Feeling very unfit at the mo. I'm not training for anything specific, this yaer anyway. I'll keep an eye on your progress, good luck.

My previous failures were as a result of not having any specific goal (apart from getting fit). I'm making a weekend away of my 5 mile race (in Conamara) so I'll have something else to look forward to! Thanks for the encouragement.

I ran something just over 5km today (GPS crashed!).

Today's was definitely slower than last week's runs, probably due to eating too long beforehand (5 hours). Maybe I'll need to take an extra day of rest too as I have been running every second day for about two weeks.

Next session: Friday, 2.5 miles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Best of luck with the training, Micilín Muc! A race as a goal, regardless of distance, is the best way to stay motivated about training, I find. That said, the Dublin marathon is my current goal and my cup is not exactly overflowing with motivation!
    My previous failures were as a result of not having any specific goal (apart from getting fit). I'm making a weekend away of my 5 mile race (in Conamara) so I'll have something else to look forward to! Thanks for the encouragement.

Where in Conamara is the 5 mile race?

Go n-eirí an bóthar leat féin agus le do chuid traenála!

ronanmac wrote: »
    Best of luck with the training, Micilín Muc! A race as a goal, regardless of distance, is the best way to stay motivated about training, I find. That said, the Dublin marathon is my current goal and my cup is not exactly overflowing with motivation!

Where in Conamara is the 5 mile race?

Go n-eirí an bóthar leat féin agus le do chuid traenála!

Go raibh maith agat! Beidh sé ar siúl sa Líonán, fíor-Chonamara! 21 Samhain. Cén áit a dtéann tú féin ag traenáil? Is minic a bhím sa Spidéal ach níl aon pháirc mhór féir ar nós Pháirc an Fhionnuisce thart. Ní maith liom rith ar bhóithre.

It'll be on in Leenane, 21st November.

Go raibh maith agat! Beidh sé ar siúl sa Líonán, fíor-Chonamara! 21 Samhain. Cén áit a dtéann tú féin ag traenáil? Is minic a bhím sa Spidéal ach níl aon pháirc mhór féir ar nós Pháirc an Fhionnuisce thart. Ní maith liom rith ar bhóithre.

It'll be on in Leenane, 21st November.

Ar an gCeathrú Rua a thosaíonn mé amach. Braitheann fad an rith ar cá gcríochnaíonn mé! Bóthar den chuid is mó, cladach ó am go chéile agus an pháirc peile don stuif gearr, sciopaithe. Bhí leath-shuim agam tabhairt faoin rás sin sa Líonán... b'fhéidir go bhfeicfidh mé ann tú!

Well, I took an extra day of rest and ran 6km today instead. Lovely run up by the bog road behind An Spidéal in Galway. Plenty of small hills, but it was my first time not running on grass.

36 minutes for 6km, a little behind my goal of 45 minutes for the 5 mile race, but I feel great now.

Plan for next session: 6.5km in Phoenix Park on Monday afternoon.

I pulled the calf muscle in my sleep last night. I couldn't scream in pain as I was staying with my girlfriend's family, in a room that I shouldn't ;)

I'm rubbing Deep Heat in now and reading up about proper stretching!

• Advertisement

I pulled the calf muscle in my sleep last night. I couldn't scream in pain as I was staying with my girlfriend's family, in a room that I shouldn't ;)

Pulled a calf muscle in your sleep, eh?!;)

ronanmac wrote: »
    Pulled a calf muscle in your sleep, eh?!;)

No, seriously!

My warm-up is usually a 5km cycle to the Phoenix Park but yesterday I just ran straight out the door and up a hill!

I'll be using this stretching routine from now on, once my leg recovers!

Just back from the Phoenix Park having done 5km in 28:42. (a 5:44min/km pace).

My pulled muscle seems to have recovered with only a slight niggle for a minute or two during the run.

Plan for Wednesday: another 5km to match or better today's pace.

Was too busy yesterday to run, unfortunately, but I ran 6km this morning to make up for it. I ran a pace of 5:47km/min without any major difficulty. The last 2km were ran with a 5:32km/min pace.

Very happy with my progress overall, but am most happy about losing some weight. The scales tell me this morning that I've lost 3kg in 6 weeks :D, the first bit of weight I've lost in 4 years!

Plan for Saturday morning: 6km again

Muscles felt very tight Friday and Saturday so I skipped yesterday's run and ran 4km this morning.

I'm very wary of doing too much too soon so I'll be following Hal Higdon's 8k novice plan from now until the race. I'll have a lower weekly mileage, but hopefully it will pay off. Today's run was the Sunday Long Run of Week 2 and I'll be proceeding from there.

Tuesday

Did 4km in the Phoenix Park this morning. 15 Acres and surrounding areas closed off for deer cull so I ran up and down Chesterfield Avenue.

Distance: 4km
    Pace: 5:55min/km

Thursday

Had an easy 3.5km this morning. Decided to make it a little bit harder by running up the dreaded Kyber Road. Not as bad as it is made out to be, but then again I only did 3.5km, not a half marathon!

Distance: 3.5km
    Pace: 6:05min/km

Sunday

Had my 'long' slow run of 5km today. Finished in just over 30 mins. I always start my slow runs quite slowly but end up building up and building up and running faster towards the end. I don't know if it's going against the idea of an LSR or not but at least I'm not finishing going slower than what I start at.

Distance: 5km
    Pace: 6:02min/km

Monday

Stretch & Strength Day

This is my first time doing an S & S day from Hal Higdon's plans. The weights exercises were easy enough but the abdominal crunches kill me! I hope I won't be too sore for tomorrow's run!

Tuesday

Well it's the pecs that hurt today, not the abs! Maybe that'll be tomorrow.

Did a 4km run this morning with only a banana in my belly. I reckon the Leenane 5 mile will be hilly :rolleyes: so I did some hill training today: ran up Khyber Road twice. Lovely morning, looks like it will be a great day today.

Distance: 4km
    Pace: 5:48min/km

• Advertisement

Thursday

Missed my morning run in the Phoenix Park this morning due to work, but managed to run my 3.5km this evening on the footpaths of Dublin 6 - not as enjoyable! Did my stretch and strength again too. Abs never hurt me since Monday, but my thighs were quite sore yesterday.

Can't wait for my long run on Sunday :-)

Pace: 5:46min/km

Sunday

Very few runners in the Phoenix Park today. I must be the only one not running the marathon! Beautiful day, not a cloud in the sky. I really enjoyed today's run, and refrained from speeding up.

Distance: 5.5km
    Pace: 6:23min/km

Monday

Missed my Stretch & Strength as I was cycling around the marathon route supporting a friend. Got plenty of exercise though.

Tuesday
    Found out that the Leenane 5 Mile has a "savage", "dog of a hill" in the middle, so I'll have to prepare for that. Decided to run Knockmaroon Hill, twice, today! For anybody who doesn't know it, it's a short hill of a 30% incline just beside the Phoenix Park.

Felt great afterwards but was scared ****less of running on the footpath through the Park with no lights in the dark. I only realised I was going by a stag when I was 5 metres away from it. I don't know who was more scared, me or him!

Distance: 5.25km
    Pace: 6:10min/km

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

Micilin, I'm following your thread with interest, make sure to keep posting.

Keep it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Me too,great stuff,keep her lit!!

Micilin, I'm following your thread with interest, make sure to keep posting.

Keep it up.
    moonshadow wrote: »
    Me too,great stuff,keep her lit!!

Thanks guys, I find a log and the comments are a great motivation to keep running!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

I'm following your thread too, 5 miles is a good distance to run :)

Keep up the good work!

Thursday

Woke up with a very sore Achilles tendon on my right foot. Decided to cycle to the Park to see how I was and then decide to run or not. Went for it and it was sore for the first kilometre or so. After a while the pain went away and managed to finish my 3.5km run strongly. I'll be stretching religiously from now on!

Pace: 5:35min/km

Plan for Sunday: 6.5km in the Wicklow Mountains with a running partner![FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]

Sunday

Did my LSR on hills today on MTB trails in Rathmichael Woods & the Lead Mines - A lot harder than Knockmaroon Hill! The run overall took 47 mins which is longer than my 45 min target for the 5 miler :) My legs were literally steaming by the end of the run!

Distance: 6.73km
    Pace: 7:03min/km (on steep hills)

• Advertisement

Tuesday

Still feeling stiff from Sunday's LSR but went to the Park and did my 5km anyhow. It wasn't the most enjoyable of runs because of the muddy trails and stiff muscles, but very happy with my time of 28:30.

Distance: 5km
    Pace: 5:42min/km

Advertisement