Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 5 miles

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

If you have a newish phone you might be able to install endomondo on it. It's great for keeping track of all your runs, check out the download section to see if your phone is supported. It's great for motivation :-)

http://www.endomondo.com/download

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Thanks AntiVirus. I have Endomondo installed but I've been using Sports Tracker so far. My phone crashed halfway through my last run so maybe I'll give Endomondo a try.

I use the Endomondo website to plan my runs. It's a lot easier to use than Google Maps.

Thursday

Wet and windy run in the Park today. Enjoyed it a lot more than a sunny day! GPS crashed, no idea of pace but I wasn't slow!

Distance: 3.5km
    Pace: N/A

Sunday

Did my LSR on hills again this week. From Killiney Beach to Killiney Hill and back this time but it wasn't as difficult as last week's run around Rathmichael Wood. Fantastic day for a run and the view from the obelisk was great.

Distance: 7.42km
    Pace: 6:30min/km
    Climb: 0m-153m over 4.3km

2 weeks to the Leenane 5 mile :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Good luck with your training. Leenane is a great location for a race. Enjoy.

• Advertisement

Tuesday

Did Knockmaroon Hill three times today plus a small hill or two along Lower Glen Road in the Phoenix Park. Very tough!

I'm beginning to hate cycling to the Park as I'm usually soaked and freezing by the time I get to start running. My incentive is that I'll be able to run from home to the Park in the New Year when I increase my mileage :D

Distance: 5km
    Pace: 5:40min/km

Here's a link to the Google Streetview image of Knockmaroon Hill.

Wednesday

I've neglected the Stretch & Strength routine for the past two weeks so I gave it a go again today. The hill training must be doing something positive as I found it a lot easier than the last time.

Currently doing:
    • 3* 15 reps of 6.6kg bench press & biceps curl
    • 3* 15 reps of lunges with 4.4kg barbell
    • 3* 15 reps of crunches

Thursday

I managed to convince myself to run this afternoon despite the gale force winds. I even cycled to the Phoenix Park but of course I got soaked before I got there :(

I'm feeling great but am not too sure if I'll manage the 5 miles in 45 mins on Sunday week. That'll take a 5:35min/km pace and so far I've only ran 5 runs under that pace and they were all under 5km distance.

Distance: 3.22km (2 miles)
    Pace: 5:42min/km (1st half with a severe headwind, 2nd half with a severe tailwind!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Thursday

I'm feeling great but am not too sure if I'll manage the 5 miles in 45 mins on Sunday week. That'll take a 5:35min/km pace and so far I've only ran 5 runs under that pace and they were all under 5km distance.

You'll have no bother on the day, Micilín Muc. You'll run faster than you normally do as you'll be in a race. I predict that a mixture of adrenalin and your "race head" will have you running the five miles faster than you've ever run before! (that might change if you're running into a force 9 gale, of course :eek:)

Go raibh maith agat a Rónáin!

I think this morning's run gave me more confidence.

Sunday

I've been suffering with a stuffed-up nose for the past few two days and didn't sleep much last night (4 hours or so).

Got up at 7.15, cycled up to Taylor's Lane in Rathfarnham and ran 4.5 miles up Edmonstown Road, across by Mount Venus Road, down Stocking Lane, left at Scholarstown Road and around by Ballyboden St. Enda's.

It was by far my most enjoyable run so far, not a sinner on the road except for a few friendly cyclists. Got a few pictures of the early-morning sun over the city.

Pace was good, I feel I can go quicker next Sunday.

Distance: 7.23km (4.5 miles)
    Pace: 5.52min/km

Here's a link to the GPS mapping of the run on Sports-Tracker (pictures included).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

Well done! Great to get one of those confidence building runs in before the big one. This morning was lovely weather for a run.

Tuesday

My head is still feeling very stuffed up and I'm taking slightly more UniFlu than recommended. It didn't stop me from going out early this morning.

Went out at a good pace, not too fast, did Knockmaroon Hill three times again, and got a 3 mile PB of 27:02 :D So much for taking it easy before the race on Sunday!

Distance: 4.82km (3 miles)
    Pace: 5:24min/km

Thursday

Went out for an easy 2 miles in the Phoenix Park this afternoon. I didn't push myself hard at all. Will be taking it easy before the big day on Sunday. Can't wait :D

Distance: 2 Miles
    Pace: 5:35min/km

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭shoegal!

Best of luck for Sunday! Leenane is such a beautiful place, be sure and enjoy! Hope it goes well for you!

Thanks shoegal! Unfortunately the village seems to be more or less closed to tourists over the winter so I won't be spending much time in Leenane - 15 mins before and 30 mins after the race!

Next time I'll be there will be for the Connemara Half Marathon so tomorrow I'll scope out the 2 mile hill at the start of that race route :-)

Sunday, 5 Mile Race Day

I was in a bit of panic to get to Leenane in time but got there 10 mins before the race to collect my number and jog down to the start.

I started off quite fast, in fact the first mile was my quickest (7:40min/mile), and I realised at the 1st mile marker that I'd have to slow down in preparation for the hills. The hills at the second mile weren't too bad, definitely not as bad as the hills I did in training.

From mile 3-4 I struggled with a bad cramp in my shoulder from which I used to suffer before. I ran through it by reigning in my breathing and by the time I got to the final downhill I felt in flying form. I really appreciated the support from the crowd around the finish line and came in at 41:43, way ahead of my 45 min goal :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Excellent, well done on a great time and smashing your goal :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

WELL DONE! Thats great...excellent way to celebrate all the hard work over last few months. :)

Thanks guys! The support from Boards has helped me big-time :)

Here's the 10 lessons I learned from Couch to 5 Miles:
    1. Avoid trying too much too soon by using a training program such as Hal Higdon’s.
    2. Use an interesting, upcoming race as a goal.
    3. Make the training interesting by running different routes or by running (occasionally) with a partner, especially in a park or in the mountains where the boredom of running laps can be avoided.
    4. Run hills.
    5. Don’t let the weather upset your training plan, no matter how bad it is (well, maybe except for ice!).
    6. Keep a strict stretching regime.
    7. Try to avoid starting your run with a cold body - warm up!
    8. Don’t dismiss cross training.
    9. Start a training log on Boards.
    10. Enjoy your runs and stay positive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭shoegal!

Congrats on the great race performance! And those tips look good as well :)

• Advertisement

Thanks! Hopefully they'll be useful to someone else apart from me!

I've started a new log, Micilín's Mucky Miles (it's the best I could come up with!). Hopefully I'll stick to it as well as I did to Couch to 5 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭kagni

Well done, great to see you beat your target time by so much!
    I'm nearing the end of C25K so was following this with interest.
    Good luck with the Half Marathon training.

Advertisement