Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airtricity - What a Joke

Options
  • 28-09-2010 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Moved houses recently and asked them for a final bill.

Bill was for 700 odd euro.

There was a 300 euro deposit request (on my FINAL bill)

I then rang them back and said re-send me a new bill.

Then 2-3 days later I get a letter saying there going to cut me off in my new premises even though the last bill was paid via Direct debit for the new house.

I rang them up again and said what the hell. I was told to disregard the letter. (after my missus was freaking out)

Then the new final bill comes with a 103.00 bill for disconnection (never been disconnected)

Back on the phone again - chatted to rep then on hold for 10 mins

Oh sorry Mr. X there seems to of been a charge added to your account by mistake. We'll send you out a new bill.

THIS IS A JOKE

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

That's why I remain with the ESB when it comes to electricity despite their price increases as at least they're reliable.

And to think that Fine Gael/Labour want to give the most important semi-states to the private market and entities like Airtricity. The end lies that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Better than the f-up the failure party (FF: The party of failures, except binge drinking) made of our telecoms sector with the eircon floatation, the distribution of electricity will remain in the hands of the state through Eirgrid, the way telecoms should have been done, ensuring free access to all suppliers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Blanchboh

ILA wrote: »
    That's why I remain with the ESB when it comes to electricity despite their price increases as at least they're reliable.

And to think that Fine Gael/Labour want to give the most important semi-states to the private market and entities like Airtricity. The end lies that way.

Well Bord Gais seem to be p**sing people off lately with their billing too!! Airtricity are by far the best value if you have gas aswell as electricity

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Molzer2

I'm trying to close my a/c with airtricity as i've moved house and am fairly frustrated at this stage. I emailed them on 10th asking them to contact me by phone, they did, 13 days later by which time i had signed up for bord gais in my new place. That person couldn't close my a/c however:mad:
    They're customer services telphone lines are supposed to be open until 7pm, I tried repeatedly to get through between 6&7 only to get the ridicolous message implying to me that it was actually after 7!
    I decided to ring their sale section and told the human that i was having difficulty getting customer services, he said he'd put me through and lo and behold got the same message again.:mad:
    I logged an email with their complaints section asking them to call me over 48hours ago, obviously no call yet. I'm not holding my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I signed up to Airtricity's electrical service when I first moved into my home over a year ago and I've found it to be a decent service. The only small complaint I'd have is that I'm supposed to get an email and/or text to let me know about my monthly charge but I only ever seem to get an email once in a blue moon. In any case, they tell you how much you're going to be charged every month for the next few months so I do know what I'll be charged.

However, I'm in the middle of a situation with their gas service. I had some terrible customer service from Bord Gáis so I was happy to get away from them as soon as Airtricity started offering a gas service. I signed up about 3-4 months ago and didn't hear anything for the longest time. Bord Gáis issued my last invoice with them about 2-3 months ago but I never received my first gas invoice from Airtricity.

Recently I had a small leak in my house and someone from BG's emergency service stopped by. Afterwards, they sent 2 letters, which arrived today, addressed to a Joe Bloggs (named changed to protect the innocent) and not my name or my wife's name. We own this house and certainly don't like the fact that a Joe Bloggs is somehow associated with our address instead of us. I rang BG first and they said it was Airtricity who put that name on our address. I rang Airtricity, gave them my GPRN number and they said Joe Bloggs was associated with our address and GPRN number. They said they were going to look into this, ring Joe Bloggs and get back to me but they never got back to me this evening. When I had the time to ring them back later on, their phone line was closed for the day.

I know I should've looked into this sooner but what's done is done. Since I was already a customer, it shouldn't have been a problem for them to process my application for their gas service. I signed up to Airtricity to get away from BG's horrendous service and so far I seem to be getting more of the same. I will be onto them at 8am tomorrow morning and I will make sure I get some satisfaction.

• Advertisement

Still no contact, phone or email,

I'm on a budget plan and they have been collecting €99 per month from my bank a/c. The house has been idle for over a month now and I'm sure I'm in the black. Should I cancel the direct debit? they collected a few days ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Molzer2 wrote: »
    Should I cancel the direct debit?

Always cancel direct debits that are no longer to be collected.

Still haven't heard anything so I cancelled the direct debit, I'm pretty sure Im in the black and am due a refund as I was on a monthly budget plan.
    By the way, their customer services call centre isn't open at weekends.

Thanks for the advice,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

My saga with Airtricity continues. They seem to have sorted out the mixup with the GPRN number but today they just took an amount by direct debit that was more than my usual monthly electricity payment but didn't send an invoice in advance. You're supposed to get an invoice at least 2 weeks in advance before they take payment by DD.

I rang them up today, told them the amount that was taken and they had no record on their system about this. The person I spoke to didn't instill me with much confidence. Apparently, someone is going to look into this and get back to me but I'll consider myself lucky if someone rings me back. I will, however, be on their ass about this until someone gets to the bottom of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 1andrew

we swopped over to airtricity,worse move ever,there door to do sales people dont give you the whole story .

our first bill weas higher than our usual we thought this migt be because off the change over,we never even got an invoice as the sales person took the e mail address incorrectly,therefore we got charged an exta 7 euro twice,we only picked this when we recieved a letter.

i contacted them and they rectified the e mail mistake but not the 14 euro penalty charge.

the next bill came in at 800 euro we couldnt pay so we incurred more penalties ,times 2 before a letter.we phoned them and agreed to pay it off weekly,we paid a few weeks then couldnt pay 1 week so they went into our bank account and took what was left and even sent us a letter with our bank balance on,we had a postbank account ,and as they were closing we emailed them and told them not too use that account.and not wanting them to have acces to my bank account told them we would pay into yhere bank directly,they still made a further 4 attempts to acces funds via our then closed accont and charged us more penalties.also they wanted 300 deposit as no direct debit,WE CLOSED AND WENT BACK TO ESB,we are now been taken too the soliciters for the outstanting balance even though we are paying them weekly as agreed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

Hi 1Andrew,
    You say the next bill came in at 800 euro if you dont mind me asking was that just for electricity consumption, I am assuming it includes the deposit. Even at that €500 for I presume two months :eek: How much were your bills on average BEFORE you moved, I think the average electricity bill is less than €200. Did you move away from ESB based on an actual reading and did you move back also based on an actual reading. Airtricity have the reputation of being "difficult" to deal with but if someone was charging me €500 even if it was a double bill i.e 4 months I would want to see facts figures etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 1andrew

you have to be working for airtricity because you only think in meters and euros,the whole point is that they dont work out cheaper for the average person that cannot pay the whole bill it actualy works out to be more after they add all there penalties on too the bill.they dont be thinking that we are all in a reccesion so if you cant pay the bill: then lets put it more out off reach.....

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

Hi 1andrew I guarantee you I certainly dont work for Airtricity, I dont even have my electricity from them, I did look at moving and to be honest wasnt impressed with a lot of stuff I heard, plus there was an obnoxious salesperson came to my door one evening turned me right off My point would be if you know your opening reading was say 1000 and your closing reading was 2500 you used 1500 units which multiplied by the unit cost etc should give you the ACTUAL cost of electricity.
    If your happy to share tell us about the penalties,I didnt see anything on the website. I know that the ESB used to charge I think it was €5 for a bounced cheque/dd but from memory they dont charge interest or anything like that.
    Are you suggesting Airtricity are, maybe there is a case for contacting the regulator have a look at this, another poster put it up recently its a discussion paper on d/e costs but to my eye it suggests that the regulator is in line with your way of thinking and that in recessionary times people should be given a hand up not a push down

http://www.cer.ie/en/consultations.aspx?type=electricity&article=0f171b43-c935-4d62-832f-0758872b33e8

Advertisement